Modified LOC Nuke Pro Max

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is what I mean by unorthadox. The electronics are all the way in the adapter but sticking out because I needed to create room for the wires to run to the BP.

The forward bulk head has a ring of nitro fuel line (RC guys stuff, I use it all the time). This is so the bulkhead can be slid in and out while still keeping a snug fit. It also helps with vibration.

Ian

This shows the disposable or reusable BP charge. I won't go into detail about it but the charge on the left will have the Ematch wires coming out the bottom end and running through the pvc pipe on the rocket, into the altimeter.

Ian

This shows the removable bulkhead.

No need for nuts of any kind because the aft of the nose cone that slides in there, butts up against that bulkhead leaving only about 1/16th of an inch of wiggle room. The nosecone will be screwed in in 3 places so that the electronics are secure.

With the nosecone added.

I cut off the end of the nose cone transition. So now you can see up through to the tip of the nose cone if you took it off the rocket. I did this because I was too lazy to cut throught the metal rods with the hack saw and more imortantly so I could fit the FM reciever. I could put the FM reciever in a film canister and run the wire right up to the tip of the nosecone. It would mount on top of the removable bulkhead.

Ian

completely assembled.

I ran Rocksim with the electronics bay added. I made sure the sim of the rocket was very VERY acurate, so that I would get realistic results. The added weight increses the coast distance and this rocket on a J motor will hit 11990 ft. or 12000 ft. high at mach 1 to mach 1.7.

I love this thing

Ian

I think I might put this one on RocketReviews.com because many people have personal messaged me about how I did the dual deploy in such a small diameter rocket.

I might even make a second one of these that is perfected. The one i have now is nice but I could trim down the weight and fix the bad fiberglass job I did on the fins. I might even extend it even further so I can fit an Ellis Mountain J in it that burns for 5.5 seconds!

If I were to launch my stock Nuke Pro Maxx on either an H or an I, would that break 5,000 feet? I was looking to fly my Nuke Pro Maxx on a H123W with a medium delay. I was also thinking about a flight on a I211 if possible afterwards. If anyone can, can you sim those two out for me?

I just ran rocksim for a stock Nuke Pro Maxx with H123W 4471' 12 sec delay H153 5141' 13 sec delay I161W 6037' 13.5 sec delay I211W 6765' and a I284W 7243' 15 sec delay

Hmmmmmm, looks like my I flight will be taking place with my LOC Bullet. I just pre-registered for NERRF 3. I will be nice to my Nuke and go with the H123W.

Yeah, the stock pro max can easily hit 7000 ft. on an I, even though on there website it says it will only hit that altitude on a J.

Don't go by the manufactures altitude specs because they are commonly wrong. On a J with 9.4 ounces added due to the electronics bay, it will still hit almost twice the altitude LOC says it will.

I211W's are my absolute FAVORITE I motor, they look AMAZING and sound AMAZING. They also perform AMAZING. Make sure you think carefully about what you are doing when you put that sucker in the Pro Max.

Ian

I am thinking that if I fly an I211W, it will be in my LOC Bullet, "El Destructo". I feel the same about the H123W that you do about the I211W. I saw an I211W in a BSD Horizon the same day as I got my L1, and from where I was, recovering the rocket, the I211W looked like something out of Cape Canaveral. It was awesome.

Since I pretty much decided on those 2 reloads, are there any other H reloads anyone would suggest? I am only looking to make 3 HPR flights at NERRF 3. I am only going for one day, so I think between those three as well as some LPR flights, it will be a good day. I am looking to get some L1 flights under my belt and I think NERRF 3 is the best place to do it.

If you like the I211 and H123, the 29mm/240 H180 is a kickin' motor too! I also really like the redlines - the H148R is an awesome load.

Here's a shot of my Norad Pro Maxx on an H180.

Nice photo!

With this Loc Nuke Pro Max I am building, I don't think I will be able to capture a picture like that. Unless I am like 100 yards away.

Very cool motor.

Ian

Thanks - I didn't take the photo, another club member did and I am eternally grateful to them. This flight was pretty fast, as the flights on the Nuke PM will be as well. Just frame out a bit, and snap the shutter as soon as you see smoke...lol

I read the thread but nowhere did I see the date for the flight of a J750? ;) :p

Ben

There are other J motors that will get it going even faster than that one. There is a J (I think made by cesseroni) That will only take it 5000 ft. but it will go mach 2.3!

Ian

There is a neck snapper for ya. :D I guess the H i want to put mine up on, will slow it down some, lol. :D

Slower than the J. Looks like my Nuke will get noticed at NERRF on the H123.

I am hoping to be getting my tubular nylon shock cord for it soon. I sealed the fins this weekend. There is a nice glass finish. That should help it reach mach. I have a 10 foot shock cord on order, it is 6 inches shorter than the recommended 3x longer than the rocket itself, but it will definitely do.

When are you launching your Nuke on the J?

When I am at a field that is large enough and after I have done extensive tests approaching mach with smaller motors. Last thing I want to do is launch it either the first second or third time on a J and watch the fins rip clean off it (I doubt it, but you get the point). Its more to make sure the dual deploy is working PERFECTLY (or as close to perfect as posibble).

The NARAM 48 field was HUGE. 5 miles of NOTHING in any direction. I just don't know when another NARAM will be held in Arizona, which is a multiday drive for me. The fields here in Illinois arn't anywhere near capable of taking altitudes over 10,000 ft. the largest waiver I have been to or heard of was 7,000 agl.

I might try and make it to a much larger launch that supports the high altitudes such as midwest power, or even LDRS. If I went to LDRS many people there wouldn't care about the LOC Nuke PM because ALL their stuff is far times more powerful and hitting 20,000 ft. every hour on the hour. :)

Ian

You 'glassed the fins, right? If so, those fins are not going anywhere. I didn't glass mine, and it was mentioned to me that a stock Nuke Pro Maxx will be fine without 'glass through mach.

The METRA field is the only field that I can fly my Nuke Pro Maxx as we have a 5400' waiver at Sterling and even though the trees are far enough away, rockets seem to be attracted to them.

I think that putting it up on an H in June will give me a good idea of how well it flies before I put the ultimate motor in it, a J440 Blue Babboon from Animal Motor Works. It was simmed out to 6475 feet, 988MPH.

I put colloidal silica in the epoxy and put a very smooth layer of it on the entire fin. Then I put a 2 inch piece of 2 oz. fiberglass tape on each outer seam where the fin meets the body tube and where the fin meets the motor tube.

That should be more than enough for mach. Remember high altitude flight usually don't go as fast as rockets made to go fast. The faster it goes the less altitude it obtains. The higher it goes the less velocity it attains. It is a ratio of speed to altitude. This only doesn't matter if your rocket is the optimal mass. In which case a high velocity rocket will burn out at a low altitude but coast literally 3X as high as it attained during thrust.

I know this because I placed 4th at the national competition of rocketry (NARAM) for F altitude. On an F25 it went just under a mile. The reason it didn't go over a mile was because the rocket was still coasting upwards when the 10 second ejection charge went off. The winners used the same motor but an older version of it that had a delay of around 15-18 seconds. The only way to have this motor is if you were an old timer and saved it for 15+ years or you bought it off somebody paying top dollar.

Check the Sport Rocketry magazing that has NARAM 48 (I think October issue-which ever one covers NARAM 48 of 2006). Look at the F altitude competition and you will see Ian Timberlake in 4th and the picture with the red rocket at lift off on that page is mine.
The lauch location is the one I talked about last post, the one in Arizona.

Ian

I will check that out.

Go to my Myspace and you can watch my L1 flight and see me standing with my L1 rocket, "El Destructo", and the other picture is when the H123W is coming up to pressure. In the video section, you can watch the flight. The URL is www.myspace.com/quartermileriot. There, you will also see my mishap with my LOC Aura ( no thrust rings ).

I am one for building rockets for altitude. That was the main reason I was attracted to the Nuke Pro Maxx. I know with this rocket, I can obtain great altitude.

Originally posted by chicagonative17
The fields here in Illinois arn't anywhere near capable of taking altitudes over 10,000 ft. the largest waiver I have been to or heard of was 7,000 agl.

Ian

Quad Cities has a waiver to 10K I think and 3Oaks (Michigan) is near that as well. If you don't mind the 4 hour drive, come down to Muncie. We have one up to 8K all the time.

-Aaron

Very cool! I might do that if I find the time. I have been to quadcities a while ago and I think they said it was 7,000 ft. but I might be wrong.

Ian

Wow, thanks for the info. I probobly will stop by then.

Are you involved in that club? Are there meetings or is there just Fly Fly Fly.

Ian

Back