LOC 4" Phoenix, extended, w/ 38mm MMT, Dual Deploy, & RNWS

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tractionengines

Jack of all trades, Master of... (oh never mind)
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Got the LOC kit and Stickerschock decal set from the Santa Santa 2022 exchange here on the TRF. (Thanks @Weetie11 ) Figured it's time to do the build if I plan to get it in the air this summer.
20221225_115741.jpg

I don't follow directions, or establised norms; as many of you know by now. For this build I wanted to add stability without just throwing in a bunch of nose weight at it. I need dual deploy for small flying fields. I also wanted to do an all vinyl finish.

So with that out of the way... here we go.

Mockup of "stock" kit.
20230112_194553.jpg

Mockup of "my version".
* Added AV bay and switch band.
* Replaced payload section with longer body tube.
* Added RNWS (for tracker mainly, not visible)
20230112_194650.jpg

More to follow....

Wrapped the 2 body tubes with the base coat of gray vinyl, and reviewing the decals against photos of real missiles.
Wrap_decals.jpg

Then playing with layout of the decals. Since this is not a scale version any longer, I moved things till it "looked good" to me.
Payload_Bay_Decals_1.jpgBody_Tube_Decals_1.jpg

Placed all the decals, and applied vinyl wrap to the fins. (External fillets will be minimal, and will help hold the vinyl seams. Internal fillets will be main structure. )
Decals_on_Fins_Covered.jpg

Couldn't resist putting the parts together for an overview. (Clear vinyl is over both body tubes. Not on the fins or switch band yet )
20230525_192346.jpg

Also, started layout of MMT. Details to follow.

Found some more time to work on this. Now I need to catch this thread up...
Got the MMT layout done and checked to the fin tabs and body slots. All looked good so the center 2 CRs were tacked on, and then epoxied.
20230519_124413.jpg20230519_125634.jpg

Instalked and epoxied the nuts on the AFT CR, the RNWS, and the recovery eyebolt anchors.
20230531_085147.jpg20230607_124542.jpg

Also, roughed up and then filled the front of the nosecone with epoxy to "ALMOST" the point there the main tube of the RNWS sets.
20230607_124616.jpg

Got the CR for the RNWS system installed. After that cured, I put in the main tube. And filled the tip with just enough epoxy to secure it. Then epoxied the tube to the CR. (I sanded large chamfers on the CR to be filled with Epoxy. The OD from the backside, and the ID from the front.)20230614_233826.jpg20230614_233818.jpg

Installed the MMT into body tube and filleted the 2 middle CRs to the Body Tube. (The front and back CRs were set in place for alignment, then removed.)

Fin template printed from payloadbay.com and cut out of cardboard. Since these are straight fins there is no angle to push the fin tight to the MMT. The solution was 2 rubber bands to apply some inward force. Working on the internal fillets...
20230617_214854.jpg20230619_092816.jpg

Time to do a little updating....

After the rear fins were secured to the MMT, I did the EXTERNAL fin to body tube fillets. Since the rocket is "pre-finished" I did not want any epoxy leaking from internal fillets and running down a fin. HERE CARE IS OF UP MOST IMPORTANCE. There is no sanding or adding filler. What you have after pulling the radius tool, and then the tape, is what you get...
20230620_120121.jpg20230702_200639.jpg20230621_113704.jpg

Then I did internal fin to body tube fillets, and added a Lab Rat Rocketry, Conformal Rail Button Nut.
20230621_125331.jpg20230622_094848.jpg

After confirming everything inside the rear fin section was done... a heavy coating of epoxy was spread around the aft end of the body tube, and the back end of the rail nut. The CR was pushed into place and the rocket supported upright on the CR to hold it tight to the back of the fin tabs. (No photo, not enough hands, or time, to avoid runs.)

Then an Aeropack retainer was installed with JB Weld. And a fillet of epoxy added to the CR to Body tube joint.20230623_121507.jpg20230623_122501.jpg

I also started work on the AV Bay. I use 24 hour Epoxy to bond the LOC Stiffy Coupler, into the Normal Coupler. This lets me wick a significant amount into the fibers and assures a strong joint. The ID of the Normal coupler is coated, then the OD of the Stiffy, with an acid brush. Then the two are slid together and alcohol used to clean up the bead pushed ahead of the Siffy, so the Ends will fit correctly. A STRONG rubber band, or 2, on the OD will hold the parts together. Then the switch band was added with regular epoxy.
20230621_131010.jpg20230621_131509.jpg

Last edited:
Next up are the huge forward fins. I used the same fin guide I made for the rear fins to keep spacing and perpendicularity consistent. Then BIG binder clamps, and craft sticks, to align the front fins to the back fins. A series of rubber bands was added to hold the fins tight to the body tube & Motor mount. Here extra time spent on alignment is well worth it. Then a little CA to tack things in place.
20230627_090930.jpg20230627_090950.jpg

Then the Fin Tab to MMT fillets are done. Also, the left over epoxy in the cup was smeared with a gloved finger, over the forward alignment tabs of the fins, on the ID of the body tube.
20230627_104859.jpg

Then the External fillets were done. Again CAREFULLY, no drips, and no touch-up later; due to prefinishing. Came out well I think. (Yes, I need to clean off the work area...)20230628_112739.jpg20230628_132838.jpg

The final thing I did before the July 4 break was to make a "first pass" at vinyl covering the nosecone. I've never done this curved of a surface, and since its a uniform white, its probably going to have some issues. Live and learn.... so the seam, and mold markes are sanded. Then the cone CLEANED very well. 3 sections of vinyl were cut and rough shaped. To get a reactive surface; a flame was passed over the LOC nosecone. Then a section was applied, trimmed straight, then the next section applied.
20230627_220158.jpg

It actually turned out better than I expected. I may leave it for now.
20230628_133310.jpg

[If it comes loose after the first flight (or few) I'll just use paint... maybe...]

Any flight reports yet? I like the silver body! I've got a 4" Madcow and am making a 2.6" version now. Your order of construction is... unconventional. I don't think the epoxy will stay adhered to the vinyl or paint for long. Keep us posted!

Any flight reports yet? I like the silver body! I've got a 4" Madcow and am making a 2.6" version now. Your order of construction is... unconventional. I don't think the epoxy will stay adhered to the vinyl or paint for long. Keep us posted!
We have had a VERY complex summer. My mom had some significant health issues which have tied up a lot of our time. Any launches have been canceled on weekends we were available, and weekends they did have launches we've been tied up.... SO, no launches yet, but ready and waiting.

I FEEL almost all of the strength comes from the TTW fins, and internal epoxy structure. The external fillets are mostly cosmetic. They give a little reinforcement to the fins, but not much. The vinyl is trimmed back, slightly from the joint, so the epoxy should bond to the tube and fin. The overlap on top of the vinyl is to make sure none of the edges lift, and hide them.

Latest posts

Back