Modified Custom Aztec

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigone5500

Reaction score
I want to know if anyone has ever used 'D' engines in a Custom Aztec rocket. It comes stock with bt50 and can accommodate a D engine. It's a 2 stage rocket and I think it would be nice to be able to use either a C6 or D12 in it. Or D12-0 booster and C6-5 upper stage for REALLY high flights.

What can you suggest on interchangeable MMTs? Ex: BT50 for 24mm motors and somehow use an 18mm MMT for 18mm motors.

I had to add nose weight to mine to get good stable flights on B/B combos. It really rips on a C6/C6. I couldn't imagine flying it with a D in either stage. Talk about vanishing! I use a silver mylar streamer for mine so it can be easily spotted on the way down.

I bought one for that purpose; D/C. But half way through the build, I decided I'd want it back. C/B flights are plenty for this little scooter.

btw: the pic file says quest, but it's a Custom kit.

Man I slept on it last night and I think I'm just going to go stock on this one. The fields I fly in are not the largest in the world and I don't really like having to buy the same rocket twice...been there done that...I made a MMT adapter for an estes wizard and used a A10-3T in it and got a very good flight (about 600 - 800 feet!)...nevertheless the streamer I used was too large and the rocket was lost to the tree gods (slow decent). :mad:

I think it is wise to go the stock route here. The Aztec is such a small rocket that you would definitely be saying good-bye to it on standard C's, let alone on C11 or D12's. Launch conditions would have to be optimum for a safe recovery.

Building stock is a good idea also, so you don't become like me.

I am notorious for building many of my kits to accommodate bigger engines. Then the problem is that when I want to launch, I usually have to by-pass the bigger engine ones in favor of something that I might get back if conditions are not perfect.

For example:

I converted my Custom Redliner to an extended length 2-stage D to D high altitude seeker and am STILL waiting for "IDEAL" conditions to launch in so I don't lose it. I've been waiting now for at least 2 months!!!!

I hate spending time building a rocket (even a cheap one) and then hoping I get it back. My launch area is huge, but any rocket I send up could still drift into the neighbors fields and be very tough to find.

The manufacturers recommend specific engines in their kits for a reason, right?

Originally posted by redraindrop
I think it is wise to go the stock route here. The Aztec is such a small rocket that you would definitely be saying good-bye to it on standard C's, let alone on C11 or D12's. Launch conditions would have to be optimum for a safe recovery.

Building stock is a good idea also, so you don't become like me.

I am notorious for building many of my kits to accommodate bigger engines. Then the problem is that when I want to launch, I usually have to by-pass the bigger engine ones in favor of something that I might get back if conditions are not perfect.

For example:

I converted my Custom Redliner to an extended length 2-stage D to D high altitude seeker and am STILL waiting for "IDEAL" conditions to launch in so I don't lose it. I've been waiting now for at least 2 months!!!!

I hate spending time building a rocket (even a cheap one) and then hoping I get it back. My launch area is huge, but any rocket I send up could still drift into the neighbors fields and be very tough to find.

The manufacturers recommend specific engines in their kits for a reason, right?

Man I wish you hadn't shown me that 2 stage redliner...:rolleyes:

I guess I'll have to try that too:D

Redliner is one of my faves. Very fast rocket!

if you want some fun with the Redliner, try a (reloadable) D13-7 or D24-7 in it. or, now that Apogee is selling D10s again, try a D10-7.

As for the Aztec... when I build mine, I'm going to put 13mm mounts in it so I can fly it with A10-0 -> 1/2A3-4T. I found a stash of a few dozen A10-0 motors recently :)

A10-0's. I've stirred up more dust around town looking for those little jewels....

May I have your cases when you're through flying?...:)

Back