EVENT Midwest Power XX

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On my hour and change drive home, reflecting on an absolutely amazing launch. I had 6 flights and 6 recoveries, cannot complain at all. We had legendary weather and the BOX of flight cards just from today is evidence. I won't be back tomorrow so everyone that returns, have great flights

Oh, the M4500ST was an absolute MONSTER!!!

12' exhaust plume. If you have the means, I highly recommend trying one. My 45lb Demon 150 was literally GONE.

Last edited:
A HUGE thank you to Tim and QCRC for a great Midwest Power !!! I had three great flights using sugar motors and got awesome flight videos using my NoseCam video stabilizer.

First up was a K-800 to 7300 feet.

1667111441703.png

Next was a L-1400 to 11600 feet. Unfortunately the NoseCam motor temporarily stalled as the rocket went through Mach (I'll need to work on that this winter), but through the miracle of video editing software I made that part of the flight video disappear :cool:

1667111523258.png

Finally was a K-1200 to K-800 two stage to 10430 feet.

1667111586490.png

Steve Gregorski

A HUGE thank you to Tim and QCRC for a great Midwest Power !!! I had three great flights using sugar motors and got awesome flight videos using my NoseCam video stabilizer.

View attachment 543991

Next was a L-1400 to 11600 feet. Unfortunately the NoseCam motor temporarily stalled as the rocket went through Mach (I'll need to work on that this winter), but through the miracle of video editing software I made that part of the flight video disappear :cool:

View attachment 543992

View attachment 543993

Steve Gregorski

That two stage flight was fantastic by the way! :)

View attachment 543991

View attachment 543992

View attachment 543993

Steve Gregorski

Great chatting with you on sugar motors yesterday, Steve!!! I was the one parked next to you. As I said, several people were taken back by your flights as your motors were NOT what most view sugar motors to be. Yours were 'spicy' as I mentioned and really caught several people's attention. Justin and I talked quite a bit about them and how surprised we were at their percieved performance. They flew like APCP motors!!!

Excellent job, especially on the 2 stage!!!

Was an awesome day. Great field, great folks, great flyin'.

The Washington University in St. Louis SLI team that I mentor had a good flight - Perfect up-and-down flight. They have been learning and trying to overcome their struggles and it shows.

Good to put some faces to names!

And @rfjustin how the heck did you get my Screech on that K2050ST?! I've never been able to capture it. That being said, that flame looks rather wonky... Anyone else agree? I've never seen the rocket take a turn the way it did yesterday. Lost about 3k in its usual altitude on that motor with the hard crank to the left.

Saw a few failures, and I feel bad for those folks. I know how much goes into these projects. Hopefully they can rebuild!

Let's see if I can make it in '23!

Was an awesome day. Great field, great folks, great flyin'.

The Washington University in St. Louis SLI team that I mentor had a good flight - Perfect up-and-down flight. They have been learning and trying to overcome their struggles and it shows.

Good to put some faces to names!

And @rfjustin how the heck did you get my Screech on that K2050ST?! I've never been able to capture it. That being said, that flame looks rather wonky... Anyone else agree? I've never seen the rocket take a turn the way it did yesterday. Lost about 3k in its usual altitude on that motor with the hard crank to the left.

Saw a few failures, and I feel bad for those folks. I know how much goes into these projects. Hopefully they can rebuild!

Let's see if I can make it in '23!

Great meeting you and your dad, Mike!! Great chatting as well and thank you for the bag of motors! They will most certainly go to good use! As I said, the H128W is one of my all time favorites and they get used in several rockets. Hope to see you back this way for another QCRC launch. Don't forget about Mini MWP in the spring!

Had a great day at Midwest Power yesterday. L1 out of the way.
We got to meet and talk to a bunch of really great people from all over. Perfect weather, Food was good both at the launch and at the banquet. Even got to watch the night flights.

Thanks to Tim and QCRC for putting on a great event.

Great chatting with you on sugar motors yesterday, Steve!!! I was the one parked next to you. As I said, several people were taken back by your flights as your motors were NOT what most view sugar motors to be. Yours were 'spicy' as I mentioned and really caught several people's attention. Justin and I talked quite a bit about them and how surprised we were at their percieved performance. They flew like APCP motors!!!

Excellent job, especially on the 2 stage!!!
Thanks, Brian. I suppose there are "secrets" to any EX motor recipe, but with sugar motors the most important thing is desiccant, desiccant, desiccant. Didn't you notice how the ground around my car was drying out ? :cool:

Your images are FANTASTIC!!!!!! WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY better than ANY video (you know, tiny image, can't follow the rocket, can't use manual focus, out of focus as the focus hunts, etc...). Wonderful work!

These are WONDERFUL. Thank you for taking the time to post them!!!

Back