Midwest Power Contests

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WILDMANRS

TRF Sponsor
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
As most of you know MWP 11 is right around the corner.
Now is your chance to get in on the fun.
Pre registration is open( we strongly suggest that you preregister for both the launch and the Saturday night party).
https://www.midwestpower.org/

We have come up with several options for you to play in the traditional events at MWP.
Midwest Power Contests
2-stage contest ,closest to 15K without going over.
The Kit must be done by Wildman’s that includes custom kits.
All entries must be checked in to Wildman’s before the flight.
These can be flown anytime Friday or Saturday .Your results must be in the RSO by the Close of range for the Party. Altimeter must still be beeping from flight to Qualify.
Winner gets $200 Wm gift certificate

Competitor 3 Drag race
You buy a Comp 3 for $200+Shipping. Normally the kit is $249.95 (BTW it is an all black Comp 3 with the filament wound aluminum tip cone).
At the launch you will get a CTI K 940 along with the hardware ( case and closure) for the drag race free (normally priced at $232.05) , if you do not participate in the drag race you do not get the load or hardware.
Highest altitude wins. The drag race will be at high noon on Saturday.
It must be a stock kit, no modifying the fins, or shortening the tubes you must pass the nascar test, “rocket template” you can do what you want to the inside but the outside must remain the same.
All entries must be returned to the race RSO prior to range close for the Party
The winner gets the first MWP drag race trophy, and a $50 WM Gift certificate along with your name engraved on the trophy for years to come. Prizes to be presented at the party on Saturday night.
The loser , igniter fails, lawn dart, crash in any shape or form ,damage to the rocket, will result in you wearing the infamous dress at the party.

Jart 2.1 drag race
Spot landing. Closest its launching pad wins on .
The motor must be any 29mm f motor reload or single use.
This drag race will take place on Sunday at 9:30am
Must be a stock Jart same race rules apply Nascar test “Rocket template”
Kids are encouraged to join this one. One rocket per person.
Winner gets a $100 WM gift certificate.

Come on out to Princeton and have a Blast.
Thank you
Tim

What does this mean? I have a two-stage: Black Hawk sustainer, scratch booster. Does this qualify?

If by scratch you mean cardboard covered in carbon or "non Wildman Rocket Parts".....no

If by scratch you mean you ordered parts from Wildman and built a rocket from Wildman Rocket parts (Chuck Swindler)......then Yes.

Thats what I get from the rules, but what do I know. Lets let Wildman clear this one up.

What do you have Tim?
Is it at least fiberglass?

This:

6856877134_b0fd1248e0.jpg

Nascar "rocket template" question:

What about motor retainers. The retainer typically extends past the aft end of the rocket. Are all motor retainers OK?

What about motor retainers. The retainer typically extends past the aft end of the rocket. Are all motor retainers OK?

Aeropack tail cones allowed

So, what does someone win for finding a duck in your trailer?

I bet I still know where a few are..... :D

-Kevin

rubber-duck-emoticon.gif

Quote:
Jart 2.1 drag race
Spot landing. Closest its launching pad wins on .
The motor must be any 29mm f motor reload or single use.
This drag race will take place on Sunday at 9:30am
Must be a stock Jart same race rules apply Nascar test “Rocket template”
Kids are encouraged to join this one. One rocket per person.
End Quote...

Wildman FG nosecones allowed or must be plastic?

Adrian

Last edited:
What do you have Tim?
Is it at least fiberglass?

Tim, on second thought, I'll pass on the two-stage contest. I'll go with drag race #2. Could you have one Competitor 3 ready for me to pick up Thursday evening?

Tim, on second thought, I'll pass on the two-stage contest. I'll go with drag race #2. Could you have one Competitor 3 ready for me to pick up Thursday evening?

BOOOOOO!!

I thought that rocket WAS all fiberglass, Come on, you can't drop out!! I have yet to see that thing fly. I missed it at Thunderstruck.

Holy crap, that's some mighty quick building. I have to sit on kits for several years before building (apparently).

Adrian

BOOOOOO!!

I thought that rocket WAS all fiberglass, Come on, you can't drop out!! I have yet to see that thing fly. I missed it at Thunderstruck.

Fiberglassed booster, but not all fiberglass so don't want to make it hard on Tim in making an exception... plus, I have a lot of new rockets to fly at MWP11 including two airstarts. Adding a K drag race rocket is no big deal, but it does take extended prep time for that particular two-stager so, I think better to stay closer to original flight plan.

Yah, probably should have specified--Thursday evening as in day after tomorrow.

That's what I figured you meant. Still, there is no way I could start that puppy now and have it flight ready by MWP 11. You sir are a building machine. As I said, my kits apparently have to age a little before being completed, although I do have a 5" Jart that is dangerously close to being done (except for the av bay extension kit). One could almost say it is flight worthy, but it is buck nekid and would have to go motor eject.

Adrian

Last edited:

yes Aeropacks are OK.

Yes its at least half a Wildman.

Wildman FG nosecones allowed or must be plastic?

Adrian

Yes

Could you have one Competitor 3 ready for me to pick up Thursday evening?

Yes I have them now.

Mason will be doing the jart race . Think he will have fun . Also he built the jart him self with out me . Smart seven year old

Competitor 3 Drag race
You buy a Comp 3 for $200+Shipping. Normally the kit is $249.95 (BTW it is an all black Comp 3 with the filament wound aluminum tip cone).
At the launch you will get a CTI K 940 along with the hardware ( case and closure) for the drag race free (normally priced at $232.05) , if you do not participate in the drag race you do not get the load or hardware.
Highest altitude wins. The drag race will be at high noon on Saturday.
It must be a stock kit, no modifying the fins, or shortening the tubes you must pass the nascar test, “rocket template” you can do what you want to the inside but the outside must remain the same.
All entries must be returned to the race RSO prior to range close for the Party
The winner gets the first MWP drag race trophy, and a $50 WM Gift certificate along with your name engraved on the trophy for years to come. Prizes to be presented at the party on Saturday night.
The loser , igniter fails, lawn dart, crash in any shape or form ,damage to the rocket, will result in you wearing the infamous dress at the party.

Tim,

I would like to play, but I do have a question on modifying the fins. You know me, I cant leave a kit alone. :grin:

Can I snip the fin tabs off to make the rocket minimum diameter with a removable 54mm mount? Also, can I request that fin slots NOT be put in the tube since I would like it be minimum diameter?

What are the dimensions of the booster and upper airframe? 44" booster and 22" upper? Or is it 48" booster, 24" upper?

Thank you Tim,

Justin

Oh NO you don't!:no:

You and, me Dixie....big field....15,000' of open sky above us. It's NOT everyday a member of the Chicago Rocket Mafia smacks a glove down on another member.

Excuse me while i whip this out.....:y:

ZIPPPPP.....:eek:

Plop!:eek:

Tinkle....tinkle.....:eek:

NOW LOOK what you made me do! There's parts for TWO unbuilt 3" Darkstars scattered all over my kitchen floor!:D

I will "Lay the Keel" on the rocket(s) known as the "Freight Train" this weekend in my hopes of utterly decimating your little *foo foo* colored rocket......

Awwww.....$#%@! One of the centering rings rolled under my refrigerator! You better hope i'm NOT angry when i see you....in a field....in northern Illinois.....:p

Tim,

I would like to play, but I do have a question on modifying the fins. You know me, I cant leave a kit alone.

Can I snip the fin tabs off to make the rocket minimum diameter with a removable 54mm mount? Also, can I request that fin slots NOT be put in the tube since I would like it be minimum diameter?

What are the dimensions of the booster and upper airframe? 44" booster and 22" upper? Or is it 48" booster, 24" upper?

You will need to pass the template test.
These are all 22" upper 44" booster and 1.5 vent band.
I have no problem making one for you with out slots or rings.

Sorry Guys I didn't get any of the comp 3's out today, UPS was early and I spent the day making rings and bulk plates.
They will go out tomorrow.

That's it, I'm starting a thread about crummy vendor service, I mean its been almost 3 hours since I placed my order. LOL.
Seriously- Tim you got me with another great deal. I plan on entering the Comp 3 and Jart competition for sure and possibly the 2 stage event as well-that build is a bit behind. My son is totally fired up about the Jart contest he is currently building his entry and is dreaming about what he can buy with the prize money from Tim.

Back