micro tog cato

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CharlaineC

Reaction score
ok so I got in some of the itty bitty motors for micro flying this morning. it is beautiful out so i grabed my kit and headed out.

so i set up as always and preped for launch

attached the microclips and set for launch.

countdown 5 4 3 2 1 Boom their she went insinerated. ball oh flame nothing salvageabe.

I guess you could do a MESS report on the motor but honestly...I can't say I've ever heard of a Micro Maxx CATO...

Maybe you're the first!

Lucky you!:(

I had one blow it's nozzle during a cluster flight. Probably due to the flash pan ignition. No damage to the rocket. Can't believe there's enough powder in a MMX to consume even a small rocker :pirate:

Ouch! Char! sorry to hear that!
I've only heard of a couple Micro-Maxx Catos, all were using a toothpick to hold the igniter in place. These particular toothpicks were jammed hard into the motor nozzles.
You didn't mention this in your set up but if you using toothpicks in either MMX-1 or -II motors you can cram them in too hard causing an overpressure cato.

We Kinda need to remember, these motors were "intended" to simply Sit on top of the igniters with the original silo launcher or Quests Micro Add-on to their tripod launchers. If you must use toothpicks, just bearly stick it in the nozzle with just enough force to wedge the igniter.

I don't use toothpicks preferring to use the old "wadding Ball and Tape" method that was the NORM back in the days before igniter plugs :lol:

It's very easy once you get the hang of how small a piece of Flameproof wadding to use.
Heres a quick Pictorial of the proceedure.
Give it a try next time, Hope this helps.

04-sm_.5 than .25 wadding sit between leads.jpg

05-sm_Tamp into nozzle with needle or burnishing tool.jpg

07-sm_Tape in down both sizes.jpg

08-sm_completed motor & Several Tamp Tools.jpg

11-sm_8pic Wadding Ball install Pg_03-26-06.jpg

You didn't mention this in your set up but if you using toothpicks in either MMX-1 or -II motors you can cram them in too hard causing an overpressure cato.

I did just that a couple of weeks ago. The toothpick kept falling out so I jammed it in there really tight and it split the casing at ignition. It scorched the paint but that was the extent of the damage.

Charlain, can you post a picture of the either the rocket or the casing?

no i cant i didn't take any photos this launch. but i will say yes i used the toothpick setup.

I've seen MicroMaxx I-1 motors with the plastic casing fail very loudly (like a small firecracker). The casing is intact but the overpressure blows forward. No flaming death wince there is not that much propellant.

I've also seen MicroMaxx II-1 motors fail (less often) with the casing blown apart (it's spiral wrapped).

These failures were not the result of nozzle constipation since the igniters were not held in place with any sort of plug or wedge.

I guess you could do a MESS report on the motor but honestly...I can't say I've ever heard of a Micro Maxx CATO...
(

I have had more CATOs with MMX motors than with 13, 18, 24 mm motors. I usually get the nozzle blow, or have also experienced one or two side-blows, which is interesting, because the casing unravels.

I never had a CATO with a Micro Maxx yet but...I did put an engine in backwards last week and well...it didn't get off the pad.:(

Same here... while I have seen *one* cato at our club launch, I have never had one happen to me yet, after about 200-300 flights...

Back