Mean Machive vs. Sunward CFX-Six Footer

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strikeanywhere45

Reaction score
Just wanted to get some takes on the Mean Machine and the Six Footer. Does anybody own both of these? Does anybody just own the Six Footer? I've read good things about the Mean Machine but am worried about the body warping and was wondering if the Six Footer had the same problem. Thanks!

I have the 6-footer built-haven't built the Mean Machine yet..The 6-Footer flies nicely! The 6-Footer gets my vote! ;) When you build it, build so that it seperates mid section..Makes it a WHOLE lot easier to transport!

there's not much between them. i would go for the six footer, just because Estes has enough of our money and smaller companies need the cash more.

Another vote for the 6-Footer. I love mine.
I know on the previous incarnation of the forum there were many post about mods of the 6 footer. I modified mine so that it was easily transported. The rocket separates in half instead of the nose cone. The other mod is I use rail buttons. These long rockets can whip a launch rod around with the slightest breeze - the rail buttons alleviate this issue and create a more stable launch. Easy mod if you have access to launch rails.

There is another contestant as well.

https://www.unclemikesrocketshack.com/Cygnus/Cygnus_Kits.html

76er-570x345.jpg

Cygnus Rocketry 76er

They are both great rockets with little to choose between them. Buy either one and you're golden. They are not terribly expensive so consider both maybe. Personally I think for sheer size and presence a fliskits richter recker is something else as well. I dont know the cygnus 76er but it looks like a great rocket :)
Cheers
fred

Personally I think for sheer size and presence a fliskits richter recker is something else as well.
True (my son Nick has one), but keep in mind that it's twice the cost of the aforementioned birds, and it's also a 3x24mm cluster rocket. So it's not really in the same ballpark.

And Uncle Mike: Thanks for your input. My Scout troop is looking for tall rockets for their annual build/fly and I wasn't aware of this one (we were considering the Custom Equinox and the CFX).

Last edited:
I saw the re-issueEquinox at my LHS and it looks like a decent alternative. As far as warping I assume the mean machine warping is due to the black paint scheme in the hot sun?

Last edited:
As far as warping I assume the mean machine warping is due to the black paint scheme in the hot sun?

I think it's more of a storage issue - I saw this in another thread. Somebody had one that they stored in their garage up in the rafters, and over time it developed a sag or warp making the body tube look like this: ) .

Back