• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Meade ETX-125AT telescope and accessories

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThirstyBarbarian

Reaction score
This is not really an offer to sell at this point. I would just like to gauge the interest in this telescope. It's the same one as featured in this Amazon ad:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002LV6NOS/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I bought the telescope more than 10 years ago and used it quite a lot in my backyard, where I had a really nice dark pocket shielded from direct light sources and a wide-open patch of sky. Unfortunately, we did a large landscaping project, and that perfect spot is now covered by a really nice arbor. I love that arbor for shade on a hot day, but it has ruined the backyard for telescope astronomy!

This scope is the version that comes with the Autostar GOTO feature. It also has a handset for manual slewing of the scope if you prefer that. It comes with the heavy-duty steel tripod.

In addition to the scope, I have a lot of accessories. I got the padded carrying case for the scope. I have the power supply you can plug into 120V AC or your car's cigarette lighter. I have a whole set of Meade Super Plossl eyepieces in a nice aluminum case. I have a few eyepieces for extra-long eye relief (I wear glasses). There is a bino-viewer. There are various filters. I'd have to dig it all out of storage to see what all is there, so I'd rather get a read on whether there is any interest in this before doing that.

I understand that this scope is now out of production. On the one hand, it's sought after by people who like the OOP 5" model. On the other hand, it's going to be more difficult to find new accessories, like an electronic focuser, if you want that kind of thing.

Any feedback on this is welcome. I'd like to know if people on this forum are interested in it and a rough ballpark for what people think it might be worth. I haven't made any firm decisions for what to do yet, but I've come to the realization that I'm not getting any value out of having it sit in the closet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is anyone interested in this telescope or does anyone have a suggestion for how to go about selling it and the accessories? I was hoping there might be some interest overlap between rocketry and astronomy. I suppose might do better on an astronomy forum or going through a club, but I'd have the new-member-who-wants-to-sell-seomething stigma.

Is anyone interested in this telescope or does anyone have a suggestion for how to go about selling it and the accessories? I was hoping there might be some interest overlap between rocketry and astronomy. I suppose might do better on an astronomy forum or going through a club, but I'd have the new-member-who-wants-to-sell-seomething stigma.

Ebay

Thanks, guys. I'm probably going to have to go one of thee two routes. Probably eBay is the best, but I've never bought or sold anything on eBay, and this is sort a big item for the first time out.

The real danger for me is that if I start digging out all of this gear, I'm going to remember how much I miss it, and not want to get rid of it!

Probably the most popular forums for astronomy and telescope sales is Cloudy Nights. https://www.cloudynights.com/
It might be a good idea to look up your telescope in the classifieds to see it's value.

What digitalastro said.

CloudyNights is the big dog on the block these days.

CloudyNights is where I go.....

Thanks for the suggestion. It looks like CloudyNights is the place. It seems like the scope goes for around 700, give or take, depending on accessories. I've got a lot of little extras that would be some work to price out individually. Hmmmm... I'll have to think through how much work I want to do as far as managing multiple ads for the accessories. It would be great to find a buyer who wanted it all!

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction!

Back