Make it Interesting!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brockrwood

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Stack of D12-3’s ready for use. These are $8.99 US per two pack. That is $4.50 each (plus tax).

Whoosh pop. $4.50. Whoosh pop. $4.50. Whoosh pop. $4.50.

That is why we have to make each whoosh pop more interesting! Camera! Altimeter! Cluster! Two-stager! Parachute man!

IMG_7818.jpeg

Helicopter. Airbraker. Simulated CATO. Glider. Horizontal Spin. Backslide. Saucer. OddRoc. Scale. Fantasy Style. Slow Lift Off (think upscale Apogee Slo Mo, except move fins forward so the don’t break.)

Upscale StovePipe would be cool.

http://www.spacemodeling.org/jimz/eirp_56.htm
Love me some simulated CATO. I emailed Tim Van Milligan at Apogee about doing a new version of the CATO rocket he designed at Estes. He said he would consider it but Apogee had a lot of different projects they had to work on.

I always launch with an altimeter (usually 2)...unless launching something I think will get lost or destroyed (which is very rare).

I like launching with an altimeter. On special occasions I even remember to turn it on beforehand.
The only thing I don't like about altimeters is that it really slows down my launch routine. I usually launch with the MicroPeak and AltimeterTwo, so there's a bit of time waiting for things to scroll or blink, then writing it all down. When will the FS Mini be available for sale again, I mean seriously?! (joking...or am I?)

I love going back over my launch notes and knowing exactly how each launch went, though; makes it all worth it.

Four whole dollars and fifty cents?

Heh heh heh..

Don't ever get into high power.

Hey I like the whoosh-pop, that is normally enough for me. Mostly I build rockets I like and give them the whoosh-pop action. However I've also done lots of different things to add more interest, here are some that I remember.
1. Long ago I launched payload rockets with grasshoppers, we had lots of those where I launched.
2. Long ago I launched a rocket from underwater. I stuck a cardboard disk on the end of the engine, lowered the rocket in the water and did an immediate countdown. It launched pretty much normally.
3. Also long ago I built some cluster rockets- 3 18mm B motors because that was the largest motor we had back then.
4. I bought the original Estes astrocam and flew it a few times, and actually got a recognizable image from it.
5. One of the many times I got back into rocketry I discovered mid power composite motors and built some LOC kits to use them.
6. I also got interested in level 1 so built a larger rocket and did level 1 certification.
7. These days I scratch build older designs that I've always admired, sometimes scaling them up or scaling them down.
8. I've been running sims and designing different rockets trying to optimize the flight profile I like for the 2 different launch fields that we use.
9. I would like to buy a simple altimeter to see what altitudes some of my rockets are getting.
10. I would like to buy a simple video camera and launch some rockets with it.
11. I've never done dual-deploy recovery, I'm not sure if I want to do that. Likewise I'm not sure if I want to go for level 2.

Back