Madcow Black Brant II

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's no slouch in the size department.... Nice job!

I'm curious about the fin's color pattern. I've only seen the one photo of a BBII in reality... ever.

realblkbrant.jpg

Until this post made me look for another, I'd never been able to find another image of the rocket in any configuration that resembled the Estes BBII. Now I've turned up the one that inspired your rocket's color scheme (and that was only on the Portuguese wiki page for the rocket):

Black_Brant-II_rocket-01.jpg

There must be more images of these rockets out there. So, where are they?

[EDIT] I just found a nice hi-res image that was cropped from that first image:

bbii-hi-res.jpg

[/EDIT]

Black_Brant-II_rocket-01.jpg

bbii-hi-res.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice as always... now about those bras~n~lead rockets on the shelves...DANG!

Thankyou sir !

The kit is very well made and well finished ,all the parts fitting quite well, even the fins were already nicely bevelled.

The only modification I made was to cut a 1" piece off the main BT to make a band for the DD bay.

Yessir ,another great Mascow offering.

Take care

Paul T

Very nice as always... now about those bras~n~lead rockets on the shelves...DANG!

Oh..you mean this...? LOL

The .50 BMG belongs to a fellow I know ,fun to shoot ,but big $$$$ for rounds.It`s not bad for recoil, not bad at all ,but without a muzzle break......well that might be a different story :eyepop:

Cheers

Paul T

php97WFyZAM.jpg

k`tesh ,

I built the Cosmodrome 2.6" version many years ago (around 2001 ,very sweet kit)and whilst looking for pictures on the "interweb" as it was called back then,stumbled on this paint pattern.

It`s different ,and I like different LOL

....besides ,it looks pretty snazzy with the fins painted like that ,although it cost me plenty in Tamiya tape and PLENTY of time !

Nice pictures BTW !

Regards !

Paul T

PS- I have not forgotten the fin templates for the fatboy sidewinder !

Yes, definitely a fantastic job on the build. I have an Estes varaint that has been in a state of stasis... I managed a 24mm mount, and even have a coat of paint... and the rocket has beem dormant for nearly 8-years.

Question; would have any fears of snapping those fins off? I'm always weary of such large fins that protrude so far beyond the last centering ring...

Yes, definitely a fantastic job on the build. I have an Estes varaint that has been in a state of stasis... I managed a 24mm mount, and even have a coat of paint... and the rocket has beem dormant for nearly 8-years.

Question; would have any fears of snapping those fins off? I'm always weary of such large fins that protrude so far beyond the last centering ring...

The fins are large ,but are a full 1/8" thick and very robust.I went pretty heavy duty on the epoxy/milled fiberglass joints and fillets ,she seems pretty solid.

I do however have to wait for next seasons High Power launches to get this baby up in the air.

I think I have a few pics of the rocket kit in tape before painting ,and again ,sheesh......that was a LOT of Tamiya Tape (wish i had stock in the company)

Regards

Paul T

Very Nice as usual. I had the Estes BBII, and accidentally put a D12-0 in it. The Rocket stopped but the Fins kept going up.:facepalm:

Absolutely beautiful! You've really done a great job both building and painting. I've seen this kit fly and I'm sure you're gonna be extremely happy.

This thread is knocking me off the fence on this kit if it's put on sale this black Friday. :)

Absolutely beautiful! You've really done a great job both building and painting. I've seen this kit fly and I'm sure you're gonna be extremely happy.

This thread is knocking me off the fence on this kit if it's put on sale this black Friday. :)

Thanks Stan !

Painting was a bit of a pain ,but I`m pleased with it.

I have always loved the BBII ,of course being Canadian and with Bristol AS being in my city ,it was a famous rocket around here, so I`m kind of partial.

I built the Estes versions (still have one left for display) and then I bought the Cosmodrome 2.6" version way back when (another beautiful kit) and when this 4" version was done by Mascow ,I jumped on it.

You will love the kit ,very well made,great fit and parts.

Take care

Paul T

Last edited:
Just a few pictures of the taping and masking and masking and taping :facepalm:

That there is a whole lotta Tamiya tape.

Regards

Paul T

php7wZFHAPM.jpg

phpkpOqeyPM.jpg

phpshb2B4PM.jpg

phpuDxItTPM.jpg

absolutly georgeous work, thanks for sharing that.

makes we want to finally get on my aborted L3 project BBIII

That's sure a lotta lever and Taymia Tape action.:)

With all the Tamiya tape I`ve used over the years ,I could have bought more levers !

Luckily ,my chum owns a hobby shop ,although geared towards slot cars,trains and models ,he sells Tamiya tape ,so we do a lot of bartering and trading for the all important "golden" tape.

Wish he sold lever sticks too LOL

Take care big Daddy !

Paul T

absolutly georgeous work, thanks for sharing that.

makes we want to finally get on my aborted L3 project BBIII

Thanks for that !

Well ,I`m not usually into 3FNC rockets ,but it`s kinda part of my city`s/Province`s heritage(Magellan-Bristol Aerospace) ,and it just looks cool.

You can tell this rocket is going to be a stable ,straight flier !

My local aviation museum has a BBIV B on display ,so while I was there a few weeks ago,I took a BUNCH of pictures in case I feel a need for another sounding rocket scratch build :wink:

They also have a Falcon (next full scale build) and a Genie nuke.

Also,my city`s big museum/planitarium/science center just recently aquired (from Bristol) a BBV C ,and is on permanent display ,so I need to get out there during Xmas holidays and take pictures.

I sure could ,and still am, kicking myself in the arse for not having my camera while working in Fort Churchill ,where I stayed on site at the old rocket range, where they launched many sounding rockets ,mostly BBs.

It was very cool walking around and having full access to all the launch buildings and old launch pads etc.....kind of eerie actually ,kind of like they just packed up and left, leaving everything there ,frozen in time.There were even old Jeeps and transport vehicles in olive drab with ARMY and white stars on them ,just parked and left.

Of course having to look out for Polar Bears all the time was also a little eerie in itself ,and trust me...they were everywhere :eyepop:

I had to have a guard dog (Silver was his name ,big old Husky) when ever I was outside the trailer/camp.

Cheers

Paul t

phpwWMCBMAM.jpg

phpymXuhpAM.jpg

My local aviation museum has a BBIV B on display ,so while I was there a few weeks ago,I took a BUNCH of pictures in case I feel a need for another sounding rocket scratch build :wink:

They also have a Falcon (next full scale build) and a Genie nuke

Now is about the time I DEMAND ;) that you get a FREE 1 TB account with flickr, so you can upload those images, put them in nice little sets so other's (me) may share in your good fortune. Flickr isn't what it used to be (it's both better and worse now) but I've seen a lot less broken links with them than with photobucket.

Now is about the time I DEMAND ;) that you get a FREE 1 TB account with flickr, so you can upload those images, put them in nice little sets so other's (me) may share in your good fortune. Flickr isn't what it used to be (it's both better and worse now) but I've seen a lot less broken links with them than with photobucket.

Send me your email ,and i`ll send you all the pics you need.

I suppose I could post them here too ? But that may not be what folks want on the HP threads, so I guess the scale section would be a better option ?

Paul T

Back