Mach 10

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ordered one today, 6 now left in stock. Should be here in time to work on during recovery from upcoming surgery. Thanks for putting together these kits!

There were 3 available tonight, only 2 left now.

After dithering over the Nike Smoke or Nike-X kits, I picked up a Nike Smoke too. I think I'll paint it in the Quest Big Rage colors!

(Just kidding.)

Finally was able to get mine in. This will be a nice Father's Day gift to myself.

Sacrificed the chocolate covered strawberries this year for it. :eek: That's okay though, I'll make my own using Nestle's chocolate. ;)

I think I grabbed the first one. I combined with another kit to absorb some of the shipping. The two other kits I had my eye on were sold out...Sonic Shark and Omega. Grabbed a BBZ instead.

Thanks for getting those Mach 10's restocked so quickly, Ray.:)

Here's mine all finished and ready for first flight. If it ever stops raining that is.:rolleyes:

finished.jpg

Very nice Dan! I've alway painted mine in silver, I might have to build one blue now.

I guess the rain might let up on Friday. I'm thinking of building an Ark.

Given the opportunity, I'm going for a N. Vietnamese paint scheme.

Two thumbs up for Ray and In-Flight. Received my Mach 10 and BBZ today. Quick shipping and good looking bag(s) o' parts.

Got mine today, too, along with an A-20 Demon. As others have mentioned, the kits are very well packaged and they appear to have high quality parts.

MarkII

Last edited:
I also got my box from Inflight yesterday with the Mach 10 and several other (the exact number shall remain a secret... :rolleyes:) kits.

I will also join the list of folks who are impressed overall with the quality of the kits from Inflight. Great components, and high quality decals. I think these may also be the only kits I have ever bought, from any vendor, where I did not feel the need to "add" a longer piece of kevlar/elastic to the shock cord system. Keep up the great work :clap:

The other day I was starting to measure out the areas for the red trim on this (I am doing the silver version) and noticed that the cockpit canopy seemed to be very close to the front. I measured and I was definitely right at the 1/4" in the instructions but when I was looking at an old Centuri catalogue last night the picture of the original shows the canopy being much further aft. So, I looked at the Centuri instructions on JimZ's site and they agreed with Inflight's 1/4". A little further research on Ye Olde Rocket Plans shows an earlier version with the canopy positioned at 1" from the nose; this agrees with the catalogue picture.

I also noticed some other changes that Centuri had made to the kit. The reinforcement ring in the front in the earlier version was just a mylar ring rather than a stage coupler and the nose cone appears to just barely poke out of the front of the model. My hunch was that the change with the nose cone was to move the CG forward a bit for vertical flight and the additional reinforcement was probably a good idea too. I wonder why they moved the canopy....any ideas?

If anyone was waiting for one of these I got a few more listed.

BTW, my Mach 10 is essentially built. Just needs edges of wings, etc., rounded, before priming/painting/trimming.

I wonder how much weight a covering of Trim Monokote would add, compared to priming and painting. Or how it would affect flightworthiness in general.

Last edited:
I finally got a chance to fly the Mach 10 at the CMASS launch on August 1. I really wasn't too confident in how well balanced it was; I just couldn't get a good hand toss with it. But I went for it (after making sure to get some good pictures) and sent it up on a B4-2. I tilted the launch rod about 20 or 30 degrees from vertical and pointed it away from every one in case of a power prang or other nasty misadventure.

But...to my surprise (based on my childhood experiences with an original Mach 10)...it flew beautifully! The boost was stable and straight, it dumped the nose cone and then went right into a nice turning glide. The glide was very fast, it looked like a fighter plane coming in, but it was a true glide, the model was level and in control. It made about a half circle and landed without a scratch. It was a little scary because it was gliding right back to the launch point but all was well in the end.

I've attached a few pictures ... I used the silver paint scheme (had a terrible time with the red paint crinkling on the rudder) after a couple coats of sanding sealer. I also did a light coat of Future to seal the decals. I'm probably a bit heavy compared to others, which might account for the fast glide. It is an exciting flyer, can't wait to see it with some altitude on a C6-3.

Mach 10 pre-flight 1.jpg

Mach 10 pre-flight 2.jpg

Mach 10 ready to fly.JPG

Mach 10 lifting off.JPG

Wow Dan, great shots! Congratulations on joining the Mach 10 club!

I wish I could have been there for a drag race.

Was yours the only Mach 10 there?

Finished up my In-Flight Mach10 last week. Doesn't look like it's going to need much trim weight. Perhaps a speck in the rear, if anything.

mach10.jpg

Very nice looking model Craig. :eyepop: Hope it flies well.

--- Ron

Last weekend, I painted my Mach 10 red, and today I trimmed it by hand-tossing it. A small ball of the provided clay in the belly tank seemed to be all it needed.

Unfortunately, even though I was tossing it in my front yard, which is mostly covered with grass, the vertical part of the tail managed to almost break off just below the reinforced part below the horizontal section. I glued it back together with some thin CA and it looks just about as good as new.

Now to fly it on Saturday, and see what happens.

I'd love to get one of these kits. Let us know when they are back in stock.

Back