Looking toward flying soon! 24mm-54mm Ladies in Waiting

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice fleet! (and nice photo, some gorgeous spring colors) Is that a 2 stage with side boosters in the middle?

This is my black powder problem child. The rocket core is a highly modified Estes Ascender. The pods separate each powered by a C6-0 for the first flight. The booster fires a F15-0 and the sustainer a F15-8 . Designed for a 1010 8 foot rail launch however simulations on both Open Rocket and RockSim indicate the projected velocity at launch guide departure would be at best minimal. Decided only to attempt a maiden flight without the booster and only as a “heads up flight” with RSO approval (which probably will be me) on a near dead calm day.

Needless to say that day has yet to arrive. Hope that situation changes this year.

Thanks for the post.

Decided only to attempt a maiden flight without the booster and only as a “heads up flight” with RSO approval (which probably will be me) on a near dead calm day.

Sooo........how often does this particular RSO approve your flights?

Sooo........how often does this particular RSO approve your flights?
I am my own worst enemy and plan to stay that way! If I have a personal "heads up" local flight planned I will not fly unless the rocket is "in hand" has been reviewed with full simulation data in hand by another NAR well experienced RSO from a sister NAR Section with weather flight parameters and launch conditions pre approved. In one case not at our local club launch site I arrived at the pads at setup time to be the first kit off the rails during the slowest part of the launch day but given all the facts and circumstances I elected not to launch.

Actually this particular mid power build has traveled to two separate NAR Section launch sites and in both cases I chose not to fly even though wind direction and speed would have been in the lowest range of acceptable. Complex sport rockets in general always have been a concern of mine especially ones with slow lift velocities. I also arrive with a printed launch card with estimated rail exit velocities labeled in bold red. In any event technically an Estes Ascender has a manufacturer's warning only to launch in calm conditions. So bottom line the bird has been a "hanger queen" for over a year.

Nonetheless hope springs eternal for someday either locally or at a sister club having near perfect launch conditions with a distant HPR class pad and alert rocketeers.

No I have not but a great suggestion! Will sim it out! Appreciate the advice.
Also consider putting in a 29-24mm adapter in the sustainer and going with a D12-5 in the sustainer. The drop in mass will help you out, and you'll still get a descent sustainer flight (and likely a shorter recovery walk!)

Back