Look What I Got At Wal-Mart! Astrobeam Model Rocket Launch Set

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwmzmm

Reaction score
Found this at one of my local Wal-Mart this morning when I went to purchase
some (non-rocketry) items; the new Estes Astrobeam Model Rocket Launch
Set! Couldn't resist, so I bought one.

Wal-Mart price: $23.96 (got a 10% discount since my wife also works at Wal-Mart).

Astrobeam Specifications:

Length: 24.75 in.
Diameter: 1.35 in.
Weight: 3.4 oz
Recovery: 18 in. Parachute

Kit includes the Astrobeam Rocket, Launch Controller, Safety Cap with Streamer, Estes Rocketeer's Guide, Instruction, Safety Code & Warranty.

Recommended Engines:

B6-2 (First Flight)
C6-3

Guess Wal-Mart will have to start selling the B6-2's since they already have
an oversupply (in most cases) of C6-3's.

No engines are included in the set.

Now I can go and do some night launches!

Astrobeam Model Rocket Launch Set 001.jpg

Astrobeam Model Rocket Launch Set 002.jpg

Cool. Can you tell us more about the illumination part?

Greg

No. They will just keep selling C6-3 motors and people will lose their rockets on the first flight and then "quit" (can't call it giving up the hobby since they were not doing it long enough to ever be a "Hobby").

May be interesting to fly at night. Or in a solar eclipse.
Mr. Bob
Of Starlight Fame

Just finished assembling the Astrobeam rocket; took me about 15 - 20 minutes. Pretty much similar to the Metalizer kit. The Astrobeam set even
includes three extra button batteries for replacements (there's already button
batteries installed in the special tube adapter that's between the fin can and
nose section).

Hope to get to fly this at night time next month at one of our upcoming
area launches....

How good is the light system, does it really show up at dusk, or do you need proper night time. any chance of a picture at night? or even better a review on EMRR.
i think it's great Estes has a night rocket -am i right in saying this is the first one that they have produced?

I'm curious if they tell you all the stuff you are SUPPOSED to do with the FAI and all that mess before you fly a model at night... I am guessing they poo-poo the NAR rules in this case.

I just went out and bought my Astrobeam from my local WalMart. Thanks for the tip.

How good is the light system, does it really show up at dusk, or do you need proper night time. any chance of a picture at night? or even better a review on EMRR.
i think it's great Estes has a night rocket -am i right in saying this is the first one that they have produced?

Mine appears to illuminate pretty good in the dark, but won't know for sure until I actually launch it outside after dark.

I recall seeing at some other vendor's website a model rocket that's lit up along the bodytube (can't remember the name of the vendor or the kit), but
the price of the rocket kit was pretty steep, somewhere like $60 (for the rocket only). If I get around to finding out that info, I'll post it here (unless
someone "beats" me to it!).

Mine appears to illuminate pretty good in the dark, but won't know for sure until I actually launch it outside after dark.

I recall seeing at some other vendor's website a model rocket that's lit up along the bodytube (can't remember the name of the vendor or the kit), but
the price of the rocket kit was pretty steep, somewhere like $60 (for the rocket only). If I get around to finding out that info, I'll post it here (unless
someone "beats" me to it!).

You might be thinking of the Diabglo but that's mpr/hpr.

Out of curiosity, I just weighed my Astrobeam on a scale and find mine weighs in right about 3.75 oz without the parachute/wadding (the kit's specs
says 3.4 oz). Maybe the kit's specs is without the three button batteries?!
If you guys build one and can weigh yours, how about chiming in on your results.

If mine weighs nearly 4 oz empty, I'll have to just use the C6-3.

This insert is included in the kit:

Let me add the typical qualifier, "I am an Estes fan! They expose a ton of people to this hobby that typically wouldn't get associated with our hobby."

Having said that, what type of dufus puts an insert, refering to yet another insert. Realistically - how many 14 year olds read the initial NAR safety rules, or go to the effort to make sense of how to make the apporpriate nighttime notitification?

Ummmmmm...

LEO's?

I'm guessing that was bad "OCR".

But that does not explain why the FAI would care. And we know the FAA does not care about Model Rockets as clearly defined and exempted in the FAR (as long as they are operated safely in a manner that does not pose a hazard to aircraft or persons......).

Let me add the typical qualifier, "I am an Estes fan! They expose a ton of people to this hobby that typically wouldn't get associated with our hobby."

Having said that, what type of dufus puts an insert, refering to yet another insert. Realistically - how many 14 year olds read the initial NAR safety rules, or go to the effort to make sense of how to make the apporpriate nighttime notitification?

There is no notification for Model Rockets below 1 pound and operated safely. Strange, but true. I had read that incorrectly many years ago and nice folks told me to go back and read the FAR again slowly and linearly from the beginning. They were correct.

The FAA FAR-101 has recently change to extend our under 1lb exemption at all times. by removing the sunset sunrise clause and simplifing most of the other language we can now fly MODEL rockets under 1 pound anytime without the need for notification. It's only LMR's and HPR that need Notem and waivers. YEAH!!! it's about time, provided they are flown in a safe manor as Fred has mentinoned. Light UP the Night making sure the model IS visible during the entire flight!

Thanks guys for keeping me in-line on the notificiation. Time to bring out the 'ole FAR again and bring myself up to speed.

Maybe you only have to notify the FAI if you use LEO's.

Seriously though, it looks like the disclaimer was made under the assumption that a notification is required, because it refers to in the "evening," or when the light has dimmed. It's as if they are trying to avoid any liability for people getting in trouble about notifications after it is truely dark outside at night. Of course nobody is going to restrict themselves to just dusk, but Estes could always say they never told you to fly at night.

Oh well, apparently it's a moot point. I also could be reading too much into their pamphlet.

I think as long as the NAR Safety Code is followed, there should be no problems. Heck, on New Year's Eve, the folks at the NASA/Houston Rocket
Club (NHRC Section # 365) conducted a night launch at the Johnson Space
Center and, from what I gather, was a complete success. I've heard of other
clubs/sections having night launches, too.

I put mine together tonight. It took me about an hour, but then again I read and reread everything 3 or 4 times before I start a step. Once done, I shut off the light in my room and turned on the LED's. Very cool! I can't wait for a night launch. I'm going to go to the hobby shop and pick up some B6-2's. I want to make sure I get it back, as the launch fields I have around here are not to large. I already have plenty of C6-3's if I get bold.

I put mine together tonight. It took me about an hour, but then again I read and reread everything 3 or 4 times before I start a step. Once done, I shut off the light in my room and turned on the LED's. Very cool! I can't wait for a night launch. I'm going to go to the hobby shop and pick up some B6-2's. I want to make sure I get it back, as the launch fields I have around here are not to large. I already have plenty of C6-3's if I get bold.

Great!! Did you weigh yours? With the 18" parachute (with snap swivel), mine weighs in right at 4 oz.

I hate to admit this, but maybe I get a pass because I'm a recent BAR. I don't have a small scale yet. I'll see if I can pick one up today and report back.

Back