Loki Research 2014

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just noticed in the 38mm instructions that you say to pull the igniter back half an inch from the end of the motor. I realize I haven't been doing this, at least consciously (it may sag after taping it in place).

How important is it? Is it for delay accuracy?

I had no use for one. So I'm building three rockets this fall/winter for it. :) (vulcanite, 2.6" Darkstar, 2.6" screech)

I imagine the plugged forward closure could work.... being a snap ring case....I'd worry about getting it out. I have no experience with it though. In theory, you could remove the nozzle after flight, and use a long screw driver to remove the bulkhead from the aeropack if you slotted it somehow.

I have an older 720 case and the eyebolt thread is too small on the foward closure. The AeroPack is geared for AT stuff. Kurt

I just noticed in the 38mm instructions that you say to pull the igniter back half an inch from the end of the motor. I realize I haven't been doing this, at least consciously (it may sag after taping it in place).

How important is it? Is it for delay accuracy?

It's all reletive to the type of propellant and the igniter being used. Basically you want to make sure that you light the propellant first and NOT the delay element. By pulling the igniter back a half inch, you should light only the propellant grain and then, when the motor comes up to pressure, you will light the delay grain.

Great 38/1200 photos Dave! Thank you very much. May I steal one for FB?

As for the California sales questions, I have looked into this over the past month. and it's not any better than I had thought. As David Reese said, $1500/yr for the license, a $50 certification fee for each reload, AND I must submit 3 physical reload samples for each reload that is certified The latter half would be much easier with 38mm but it would take a great deal of volume and profits to break even on the $1500. The large reloads can recoup the $1500 easier, but they cost a lot more to provide 3 samples each which adds even more to the $1500.

Daveyfire said:
Now let's all figure out a way to get them reduced to zero! (And we want O motors too!)

Absolutely!
The bottom line is, I currently can not produce enough product to meet the volume demand that would be necessary to cover the licensing fees that are in place. When the company grows larger and I am able to take on an employee that can meet my standards of quality and trust, only then will I be able to take a second look at this.

However, for anyone reading who knows anyone in CA, I am able to sell "exempt fireworks" to AeroJet Rocketdyne, or any other company for industrial or commercial use.

On "H" reloads, in order of highest to lowest sales volume over the past 2 years, H-144 White, H-160 Blue (a close second), H-90, and then the H-100 Spitfire (a close 4th).

Ravenex said:
A 38mm K is awesome. Think you could manage a 98mm O?
Yes......in Red.

I think I'll need to start a new 2015 thread at some point. Not much new to say right now though.

Opps, I forgot about your question Dave.

I imagine the plugged forward closure could work.... being a snap ring case....I'd worry about getting it out. I have no experience with it though.

This is exactly my concern. The plugged BH has a 1/4-20 thread so it should fit the Aeropack MD retainer, but you'd have to be able to make sure you didn't get the bulkhead on tight, otherwise it would spin inside the case with only the o-ring to hold it in place. This is why if I had time, I'd get finished designing the threaded ring for the 54 & 76mm bulkheads which would hold the bulkhead in place against the case.

Opps, I forgot about your question Dave.This is exactly my concern. The plugged BH has a 1/4-20 thread so it should fit the Aeropack MD retainer, but you'd have to be able to make sure you didn't get the bulkhead on tight, otherwise it would spin inside the case with only the o-ring to hold it in place. This is why if I had time, I'd get finished designing the threaded ring for the 54 & 76mm bulkheads which would hold the bulkhead in place against the case.

Ahhhh, No dice. The AT threaded forward closure is 5/16's. Attached is the old "jeff" Loki forward closure next to the AT one with respective eyebolts. Loki won't directly work with AeroPack unless one fashions an adapter.
Yeah I see your point Scott that one wouldn't want to screw the motor in tightly as it could end up spinning around the forward snap ring. I think with care, it still would be viable.

md1.jpg

The next two shots are pics of a planned 38mm rocket with LOC tubes I guess I'll call "Mach Board".

md2.jpg

md3.jpg

I epoxied the Aeropack with the shockcord attached with a protector and wrapped part of it in wax paper so I didn't gob epoxy on the shockcord as I shoved the assembly up the bottom into position. I didn't screw the 720N-S AT case "all the way in" on the Aeropack bulkhead retainer.

md4.jpg

The motor doesn't have to withstand the ejection charge from above because the bulkhead is epoxied in well. The forward closure just needs a few turns in for it to be "retained". Yeah, I'll have to glass laminate the 1/8" plywood fins that are surface mounted but it should be fun. Will probably do the 1/3, 2/3rds and full span technique with some light glass and rotate the layers 45 degrees. An EggFinder TRS will do deployment and GPS tracking duties.

I epoxied a .6" thick plywood ring inside the forward end of the coupler tube. The ebay tube is secured to the coupler into this ring by four wood screws so the bay is removable from the coupler. The technique is to wire the coupler to the sled/electronics. Plug the battery in to pair the EggFinder TRS to its receiver. Slide the sled in and screw in the coupler. I cut the sealed base end off the nosecone so the antenna mostly projects into it through the shoulder. I have a Featherweight screw switch in the pyro circuit so I can energize the pyro circuit at the pad through the static port. Using one "large" 1300mah battery and a wiring harness. Will use an Archtype Rocketry cutter to unfurl the main when it gets to deployment altitude. Should go pretty high on a J350 if the fincan holds together. Kurt

Just make you own....
Use a half of a coupler, a bulkplate to fit it, and an eye bolt or u-bolt.

JD

Just make you own....
Use a half of a coupler, a bulkplate to fit it, and an eye bolt or u-bolt.

JD

Yeah, could perhaps have someone turn or laminate a bulkhead and epoxy the all-thread to hold the motor and use a u-bolt for the shockcord.
If I consider a big case, I might just try it if this project works.:eek: Kurt

It's well into 2015 now, but here's a pic:

15717553933_b45bbe2056_b.jpg

I430 Blue. There's some blue there. It's a very different motor from the violent I405; it's smooth by comparison, but by no means gentle.

Already did :) and your box is done too. How's that for order filling?

Packing boxes at 11pm the night of the superbowl, within minutes of me sending the order out.....yea... beats expectations . Scott shipped out my casing on -new years eve-. Lot's of really really great service going on in this thread.

Wait.... I just realized I'm a dick about when I order!

Two thumbs up to you both, I'm a really happy camper.... Can't wait to kick that K off...and the J cocktail looks fun too.

Packing boxes at 11pm the night of the superbowl, within minutes of me sending the order out.....yea... beats expectations . Scott shipped out my casing on -new years eve-. Lot's of really really great service going on in this thread.

Wait.... I just realized I'm a dick about when I order!

Two thumbs up to you both, I'm a really happy camper.... Can't wait to kick that K off...and the J cocktail looks fun too.

The super bowl was tonight.......oh well, I missed it.;)

Mods, or anyone else....

Is there some reason why I do not see the gray "+ Post New Thread" button at the top left hand side of the vendor section of the forum? I get one in every other area of the forum except for this one and I need to start a new thread in the Vendor area.

Thank you

Mods, or anyone else....

Is there some reason why I do not see the gray "+ Post New Thread" button at the top left hand side of the vendor section of the forum? I get one in every other area of the forum except for this one and I need to start a new thread in the Vendor area.

Thank you
Not sure why you don't have it, but I believe you now need to "apply" to post in the vendor section. Not sure how you would gain access though.

Mods, or anyone else....

Thank you

Not sure why you don't have it, but I believe you now need to "apply" to post in the vendor section. Not sure how you would gain access though.

Read the sticky at the top of the Vendor Display section: it says to pm Admin.

I see that now. It seems I wasn't the only one caught off guard by this. Thank you for pointing the way Chris, and Carlo.

PM sent to mods.

I don't understand why this is being changed. What was wrong with it?

I would guess it's a prelude to allowing access to only paid advertisers. Of course that's probably wrong. The new owners really just run the site for love of all hobbies. Not in this for money at all.... I'm a jerk for suggesting otherwise. (to be clear, I think people should make money at what they do. I just hate it when they try and act like they're doing it for any other reason.)

I would guess it's a prelude to allowing access to only paid advertisers. Of course that's probably wrong. The new owners really just run the site for love of all hobbies. Not in this for money at all.... I'm a jerk for suggesting otherwise. (to be clear, I think people should make money at what they do. I just hate it when they try and act like they're doing it for any other reason.)

It's actually to stop people from bashing some vendors for poor customer service or whatever. That is done in the product reviews thread. And this way vendors get the "right of way" to post about upcoming events, sales, and new products without all the jibber jabber from those who might be habitual post nazis.

It's actually to stop people from bashing some vendors for poor customer service or whatever. That is done in the product reviews thread. And this way vendors get the "right of way" to post about upcoming events, sales, and new products without all the jibber jabber from those who might be habitual post nazis.

Then they should add the known vendors back in and not make us beg or wait to have access again. For some people, this is there full time gig and it can hurt sales to not be able to advertise new things here since this place reaches so many people.

Then they should add the known vendors back in and not make us beg or wait to have access again. For some people, this is there full time gig and it can hurt sales to not be able to advertise new things here since this place reaches so many people.

I agree with you there. But at the same time the admins really do this on the side and would be very time consuming to go through every thread and find the vendors.

Last edited:
Hello, Awesome store? Yea hi. I'll take a box of awesome. Thanks!

16428319086_70feb451b0_c.jpg

that's fantastic! I just got my federal tax return, my first loki order will be soon. Scott, any idea when the 38 480 hardware will be in stock?

Back