LOCIV delay question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would expect so. Simulate it using open rocket. I bet the appropriate delay is somewhere around 8 seconds. Saying that it’s an H motor covers a lot of range. The average thrust and total impulse make a lot of difference and of course the weight of the fully loaded rocket does as well.

Frankly , and Sherly ; after the year of LOC rockets I have flown, the LOC 4 has fins that can hit the ground and break making your cert go bad. '

Instead special order on Chris' website the LOC PHantom, I did the beta test on that rocket.

It did all kinds of fun stuff on my older days; I lost it on a J570 that took out the fins but it still when up Up

To make this clearer, the LOC IV Fins extend past the end of the body tube. Under Chute on landing on hard ground could cause a fin to break. In my Shed's loft I have one that has one broke from years and years ago.

Fins that do not extend past the bottom of the body tube help prevent that.

Flown mine on an H100 with the delay drilled to 8 sec. My build weighs in at 37.3oz complete without motor.

I can't think of a single use H motors that would work with a 14 sec. delay in LOC IV.

@skaffgeorge2 please remember that the delay can (and must) be drilled to the proper length. This applies to all RMS, DMS and CTR motors.
I have seen what happens university flyers who neglect to do this during cert flights. Some were signed off because the chute opened just in time (not my call), some had to repair or replace their rockets.

Back