LOCIV loc precision avionics bay help

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lt72884

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, i used the LOCIV rocket for my level 1 and 2 flights. However, i am now curious where the heck the avionics bay goes if i wanted to add some sensors to my rocket?

https://locprecision.com/products/l...gvcb7PclomDlVsXUU47IOrUwK8Jv6kdRoChpkQAvD_BwEi have my design so that the nose cone is attached to the smaller 4 inch air frame section. The nosecone is attached with 2 screws to the body tube so i can remove it if needs be. The other end is a bulk head with an eye bolt that hooks to the shock cord as shown in the photo.
does the e-bay go in the smaller section of tubing between the nose cone and bulkhead? IF so, i assume i need to drill 2 holes in the bulk head to add some threaded rod?

thanks

1678003734813.png

Yes, your electronics should go in the shorter section attached to the nosecone.

How big is the circuit board with your sensors? There are two ways it could be mounted; down the length of the body tube, or across it. In the first case, the circuit board would be attached to a rectangular or square "sled". This could be attached using a single or pair of all-thread rods. You'll need something at the top for the rods to attach to as well. Or, you could use screws going through the side of the body tube to hold the sled in place. Not many people do this because the heads of the screws are exposed (drag, esthetics, etc.). The other method, a disk or bulkhead that goes across the diameter will work for smaller circuit boards. This also can be attached by all-thread (although it doesn't need to go the full length of the body tube), or it can be held in place with screws through the side of the body tube. Don't be afraid to think outside the box (or body tube...).

Actually, you only need something inside the payload (between NC and bulkhead) to hold whatever you are mounting your sensors on. You could use threaded rod. You could also slide a coupler in that fits between the bulkhead and the shoulder of the NC. Mount your sensors in the coupler however you think works best. When you take the NC off, you should be able to slide the coupler with the sensor back out if you want to change sensors. Just a mounting board the right length and width to be held in place by the bulkhead and NC might work also.

Yes, your electronics should go in the shorter section attached to the nosecone.

How big is the circuit board with your sensors? There are two ways it could be mounted; down the length of the body tube, or across it. In the first case, the circuit board would be attached to a rectangular or square "sled". This could be attached using a single or pair of all-thread rods. You'll need something at the top for the rods to attach to as well. Or, you could use screws going through the side of the body tube to hold the sled in place. Not many people do this because the heads of the screws are exposed (drag, esthetics, etc.). The other method, a disk or bulkhead that goes across the diameter will work for smaller circuit boards. This also can be attached by all-thread (although it doesn't need to go the full length of the body tube), or it can be held in place with screws through the side of the body tube. Don't be afraid to think outside the box (or body tube...).
have not purcashed any yet. Just getting ready to do so this week i hope. everything is just so expensive these days haha

Actually, you only need something inside the payload (between NC and bulkhead) to hold whatever you are mounting your sensors on. You could use threaded rod. You could also slide a coupler in that fits between the bulkhead and the shoulder of the NC. Mount your sensors in the coupler however you think works best. When you take the NC off, you should be able to slide the coupler with the sensor back out if you want to change sensors. Just a mounting board the right length and width to be held in place by the bulkhead and NC might work also.
ok, great. i can try and get some coupler tube and put it between the bulkhead and the NC. Good thing i used screws for the NC haha

Back