LOC EZI-65 finished!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Starfire73

OpenRocket Wannabe
Reaction score
I finished my EZI-65 and I'm very happy with the build and the look. I'm pretty much a LOC guy when it comes to mid-power and the EZI is my first real, high power - at least it's the one I built for my level 1 cert which should take place in a few weeks.

I added an Aeropack 54 mm retainer, and have 29/54 and 38/54 motor adapters for it. I will be flying on a 29 mm, Aerotech, Single Use H135W (sims at 1,730') using a Jolly Logic Chute, and an Altimeter Two. Its maiden voyage will be my level 1 cert flight. I would like to have started with a first flight on a G80, but there were some issues getting motors (long story), so I'm staying with the motor I already have for it.

IMG_6029.JPEG
IMG_6037.JPEG
IMG_6039.JPEG

Last edited:
no picture of it for us?
Sorry, my phone was downloading all my iPhone photos as HEIC so I had to figure out how to convert them to JPG. They should be there now.

I'll have to figure out to get OneDrive to download them in JPG instead of the HEIC.

Very nice job. No idea where you fly but maybe just bring main out at the top for your cert flight. The JLCR kind of has a learning curve. I have good success after I used it on a few flights.

Very nice job. No idea where you fly but maybe just bring main out at the top for your cert flight. The JLCR kind of has a learning curve. I have good success after I used it on a few flights.
Thanks.

It’s not a super big field. Our club launches are at a small grass field airport. There’s about a 1,500’ radius from the center of the field which is clear, so not a ton of room for drift. For me it will probably depend on the wind speed on how I deploy the JLCR.

I will test out my JLCR on a couple mid power launches (Wiesel-29, Lil Diter) before my level 1 launch on the EZI.

Last edited:
Starfire your EZI-65 looks great ! I would love to see a tutorial on how to get the decals so straight on the airframe !

Starfire your EZI-65 looks great ! I would love to see a tutorial on how to get the decals so straight on the airframe !

I'm not the OP, but if I may offer a suggestion: aluminum angle on the body tube used to place down a strip of masking tape for reference to line up the decal. At least that's how I would do it for a long decal.

It looks great, well done!
I used painter’s tape to mark the fore and aft edges for centering the decal between the fins at the rear and the front of the body tube. The interior edges of the fore and aft piece of tape were 2.5 cm from their points of reference.

I then made a pencil mark on each piece of painter‘s tape where the center of the decal should fall. I centered the decal on the fin at the rear and used a straight edge to transfer and identify the center - at the front of the body tube. I then made centering pencil marks on the clear decal cover sheet (removable).

Next, I used the windex method of placing the decal on the rocket. Squeegeed it out very thoroughly, then waited until the next day to remove the clear decal cover sheet.

I heard K270...

Very beautiful rocket. I love the blue that you used. Are those the decals that come with it? Or did you buy them seperate/make them?
Thanks, those decals came with the kit.

I used Rustoleum Maui Blue. I was trying for a couple of weeks to decide on my paint scheme and nothing was grabbing me. It’s a sport rocket and I wanted it to look really sporty! I went to Walmart with a paint scheme in mind and when I looked at the cans/colors I had decided on, I was like… nope, not it. As I was walking away I turned the corner and saw an end cap with a shelf full of Maui Blue, and without hesitating I said to myself THAT’S IT! What a relief to finally have my paint scheme decided!!!

I finished my EZI-65 and I'm very happy with the build and the look. I'm pretty much a LOC guy when it comes to mid-power and the EZI is my first real, high power - at least it's the one I built for my level 1 cert which should take place in a few weeks.

I added an Aeropack 54 mm retainer, and have 29/54 and 38/54 motor adapters for it. I will be flying on a 29 mm, Aerotech, Single Use H135W (sims at 1,730') using a Jolly Logic Chute, and an Altimeter Two. Its maiden voyage will be my level 1 cert flight. I would like to have started with a first flight on a G80, but there were some issues getting motors (long story), so I'm staying with the motor I already have for it.

View attachment 517099
View attachment 517100
View attachment 517101
Nice!

Very, very nice! I got my L1 on an EZI-65. Still have that rocket and I built another "stretched" one with DD that has a bunch of flights on it. Best of luck!

Back