LOC Expediter

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I have been finishing up the last few details (vent holes, ejection charge holders, fitting the nosecone etc).......... I put her on the scale and she weighs just under 5 lbs.......... I think she will get off the pad on a "J" ...... That is if the weather improves some..........

That should be a pretty spectacular flight! Which motor configuration are you going to use? There are a bunch of different J motors with the 440cc tank.

Originally posted by Rocketman248
That should be a pretty spectacular flight! Which motor configuration are you going to use? There are a bunch of different J motors with the 440cc tank.

To be honest I don't know........ I am borrowing the 440cc tank and seeing what is available at the launch site vendor......... I will start saving money for my own tank and the related stuff.......

I just noticed that I have one very important thing left to do...... Launch lug or rail button....... I think I am going to attempt to use the rail buttons......... Boy, I am going to have a lot of "firsts" today........

Well, I have just finished installing the rail buttons........

Loopy and anyone else who might build an Expeditor...... Here's what I would do if I were starting from scratch (and did the "fin can" idea)........ before you put the aft centering ring on, drill and install a backplate....... you should be able to get the aft 2 butons on that way........... Hindsight is 20/20...........

I like Rail Buttons :). There is only one problem with them though... for the smaller rockets that I have that use them... I have to take them to a high power pad.... so I am thinking about bringing a mid power pad that has a rail to the launches next year :)

I was unable to fly "shaken, not stirred" today........ Clouds were too low......... And I found out that I didn't put the rail buttons on straight......... so tonight one of my tasks is to remove and replace one the buttons........ The middle one is maybe 1/8" out of line with the other two..........

I also have to drill the vent hole for the hybrid motor (where the rocket vents the gas right before launch) The "Hybrid Guru" from our club let me take home his 440cc tank and a fuel grain so I can measure it out exactly.......... We don't think the weather will be much different, but I will have it ready just in case.......

For those of you who never seen a hybrid tank and fuel grain, here is a pic for ya........... The best part.......$28 for a "J" motor

I had teh problem of how to align the buttons on my Mean Machine, and a bit too late, I thought to put a weighted string in the hole and stand the rocket straight up and down. Would this work?

Originally posted by Rocketmaniac
The transition/electronics bay is just about done........ I just need to drill the vent holes and epoxy around the the edges of the holes....... I will be put a coat of finishing epoxy on the fins and then after sanding them, she is ready for her first coat of primer.........

I just got an email from the hybrid guy at our club....... I am going to borrow his 440cc tank and fly her on a "J" at our next launch......

(no pics, it's just internal electronics bay work)

I'm going to borrow your idea of putting the electronics in the transition. thanks!
Quick question, where did you vent?
If you vent on the slanted part of the transition, could that cause a problem?
Would the angle cause some sort of pressure problem?.....

Dave

Originally posted by Rockaholic
I'm going to borrow your idea of putting the electronics in the transition. thanks!
Quick question, where did you vent?
If you vent on the slanted part of the transition, could that cause a problem?
Would the angle cause some sort of pressure problem?.....

Dave

Dave,

You must put the vent holes above the slanted part. I put mine in the upper shoulder. Placing them on the angled part would most likely cause some bad readings and might cause a deployment failure.

Glad you like the idea, I wish I say it was mine. Our very own Rocketjunkie gave me that idea.

Originally posted by Rocketmaniac
Glad you like the idea, I wish I say it was mine. Our very own Rocketjunkie gave me that idea.

I built mine in such a way that I can go back and do that. The upper body tube is screwed to the nose and transition so I can take it off sometime later to convert it to dual deploy when I'm ready. I will definitely be revisiting this thread at that time.

Originally posted by Loopy
I built mine in such a way that I can go back and do that. The upper body tube is screwed to the nose and transition so I can take it off sometime later to convert it to dual deploy when I'm ready. I will definitely be revisiting this thread at that time.

Thanks! I didn't think about having the transition screw into the top. ...this would keep you vent hole(s) aligned with the aiframe...and it would still allows the nosecone to come off for dual deploy.

Thanks to you and the others who answered.

One last question, what size and how many vent holes did you guys use?

Dave

Originally posted by Rockaholic
One last question, what size and how many vent holes did you guys use?

I'll have to check next time I'm in my rocket trailer, but I believe I have 3 vent holes that are about 3/16".

Back