LOC 1.9-inch tubing

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SolarYellow

Basket of deployables.
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
In an offline discussion, a question has arisen about the actual spec of LOC 1.9-in tubing. I don't happen to have any on hand to measure.

Does anyone have a chunk on which they could measure the wall thickness with some 0.001-reading calipers? Just looking to sanity check some figures I've seen elsewhere.

Thanks.

I don't recall noticing LOC 1.9" tubes, is that a recent addition?

The Blaster & Photon .rkt files on LOC's website have tubes entered as 1.80"/1.85", but OpenRocket has the LOC 1.9" tube as 1.90"/1.98". With filenames ending in 185, I'd expect the OpenRocket Parts library to have the wrong values.

1693804758548.png

Aerotech's 1.9" tube is 1.80"/1.88", I'm curious to see what the measured values are.

I can't guarantee it's LOC tube. I don't always label where I purchased tubing from.

I have some cardboard body tube that's consistently 1.89"/1.90" in diameter along
its length. The wall thickness is 0.048". It's pretty solid tubing. Something I would
expect LOC to sell.

Addendum: Went back through RockSim designs using this tubing. It's from Balsa Machining.
It's still very sturdy tubing though. The rockets have held up well.

Last edited:
@SolarYellow --

This is one of my favorite tubes :)

I've got a couple new Aerotech 1.9 inch tubes, purchased directly from AT to repair my Vulcanette.

Measured dimensions ( inch ) are:

Code:
   OD:   1.878
   ID:   1.819
   W:    0.059
   L:   22.750

EDIT: fixed my link ...

These tubes come with no slots or three or four fin slots from Aerotech: AEROTECH MID-POWER & HIGH POWER ROCKET PRODUCTS ORDER FORM

Bonus info: erockets.com sells totally tubular Couplers that fit perfectly and come in 34-inch lengths:

Totally Tubular Coupler CPL-1.88"-34"(1pk)(same: Aerotech 1.9) TT-CPL-1.88"-34" * Discontinued

Discontinued but there are 68 in stock today. Nice for AV-Bays longer than 4-inch ( AT 1.9 inch coupler length ).

HTH

-- kjh

EDIT: LOC does sell 1.9 inch x 34 inch cardboard tubing but there are no dimensions: LOC Precision: CARDBOARD AIRFRAMES

Last edited:
@SolarYellow --

This is one of my favorite tubes :)

I've got a couple new Aerotech 1.9 inch tubes, purchased directly from AT to repair my Vulcanette.

Measured dimensions ( inch ) are:

Code:
   OD:   1.878
   ID:   1.819
   W:    0.059
   L:   22.750

EDIT: fixed my link ...

These tubes come with no slots or three or four fin slots from Aerotech: AEROTECH MID-POWER & HIGH POWER ROCKET PRODUCTS ORDER FORM

-- kjh

EDIT: LOC does sell 1.9 inch x 34 inch cardboard tubing but there are no dimensions: LOC Precision: CARDBOARD AIRFRAMES

BMS lists this:
T188-341.880x1.800x.040x34inch long (Aerotech size)$6.00BUY

AT: https://aerotech-rocketry.com/produ...3f48-35b7885fbdba?_pos=4&_sid=79946e4d1&_ss=r
Specifications:
Outer diameter 1.88 inches
Inner diameter 1.8 inches
Wall thickness 0.04 inches

It looks like in the post quoted above, you forgot to divide by two to get the wall thickness. It's also interesting that you have significantly different measured ID than AT publishes.

I've had some of that erockets AT coupler stock in my cart for awhile. Kind of waffling my way to my next order of oddball tubing sizes, which this thread is part of.

I have previously received this via email from LOC, but it was questioned by someone I respect, hence this thread:
the outside diameter is 1.87 inches the inside diameter is 1.82 inches

I was hoping someone would have some sitting around and could actually measure a physical sample.

If the numbers provided above are correct, that's a 0.25-in wall thickness, which is really an outlier for the LOC product range. It's significantly lighter than the 0.040 wall of AT's 1.9-inch, which makes it interesting on the MPR side of things.

Last edited:
BMS lists this:
T188-341.880x1.800x.040x34inch long (Aerotech size)$6.00BUY

AT: https://aerotech-rocketry.com/produ...3f48-35b7885fbdba?_pos=4&_sid=79946e4d1&_ss=r
Specifications:
Outer diameter 1.88 inches
Inner diameter 1.8 inches
Wall thickness 0.04 inches

It looks like in the post quoted above, you forgot to divide by two to get the wall thickness. It's also interesting that you have significantly different measured ID than AT publishes.

I've had some of that erockets AT coupler stock in my cart for awhile. Kind of waffling my way to my next order of oddball tubing sizes, which this thread is part of.

I have previously received this via email from LOC, but it was questioned by someone I respect, hence this thread:

I was hoping someone would have some sitting around and could actually measure a physical sample.

If the numbers provided above are correct, that's a 0.25-in wall thickness, which is really an outlier for the LOC product range. It's significantly lighter than the 0.040 wall of AT's 1.9-inch, which makes it interesting on the MPR side of things.

What is it you're trying to accomplish?

The published numbers are just averages. Cardboard tubes easily vary in that thousandths position.
I see it all the time from order to order.

No LOC1.9", sorry.

I do have 1.9" AT tube from a kit, which measures:

Coupler OD: 1.800"
Tubing OD: 1.871"
Tubing thickness: 0.034"

I thought there was some T188-34 from BMS around here somewhere, but I can't find it.

EDIT: cleaned up Quoted text to make it more clear what I was replying to ...

Oops !

Correct, I didn't divide by 2 so the wall is about 0.03 inch

Sorry.

I am going to have to order some of the BMS 34 inch Tubing to try.

-- kjh

Last edited:
They have full length coupler tubing, too!

Woo Hoo !

Thanks Tim.

One very nice thing about the AT 1.9 inch coupler tubing is that a 38mm LOC Tube fits perfectly inside the coupler.

This makes it very simple to use 38mm motors in the AT 1.9 inch tubes with the 4-inch AT couplers.

I just checked and the Totally Tubular coupler has a slightly thinner wall and slightly larger ID.

It could still work as a centering ring -- it just needs a wrap of masking tape around the 38mm tube to snug it up.

Maybe the BMS Coupler Tube wall is a tad thicker ?

Better try one of those too :)

-- kjh

Last edited:
What is it you're trying to accomplish?

Picking tubes for clusters.

0.736 + 2*0.544 = 1.824

The LOC ID of 1.82 cited above is a nearly perfect fit, if it’s accurate. And the 0.025 wall is a nice balance between durability and lightness.

The published numbers are just averages. Cardboard tubes easily vary in that thousandths position.
I see it all the time from order to order.

Variation in the thousandths is expected, but I’m trying to get my hands around much bigger differences than that.

Back