liftoff! gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So was I wrong about the first Delta?

The flyer attempted to launch a cluster with an Aerotech D10 and two A10 motors.

The launch illustrates the problem with mixing composite and black powder motors in a cluster.

The rocket landed on the ground not far from the pads then both of the small motors ejected. I don't think it was damaged.

-- Roger

The flyer attempted to launch a cluster with an Aerotech D10 and two A10 motors.

The launch illustrates the problem with mixing composite and black powder motors in a cluster.

The rocket landed on the ground not far from the pads then both of the small motors ejected. I don't think it was damaged.

-- Roger

Yep... I could see no good coming from those pictures! :y: :(

At best you need to hook up the BP motors separately and have a couple of feet of zip cord on the center motor so that it can light going up the rod. And that is just a hypothesis.

When clustering AP motors I do indeed like to take three or four feet of zipcord to the pad . Twist the zip cord to the ignitors of the motors and the other end is hooked up to the clips. Hypothesis being that it gives time for late ignition.

In this picture you can clearly see the zip cord in the smoke. Of course that is a bit of Apples and Oranges.

2011-10-08-ROC-0009.jpg

Aerotech Dark Matter demo motor :tongue:

I saw that video

Braden

The flight shown is the SUCCESSFUL flight on Friday on an I211. Good flight, a little over 1k. This the Dark Matter Demo flight on Saturday was not so good. Despite the obvious problems there was no damage. Not sure why but the nosecone slipped off during inital boost. Only got aboyt 30' off the pad. I'll add shear pins before the next flight.

Attachments

• 6380829817_7aa6608b88_b.jpg
    6380829817_7aa6608b88_b.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 21
  • 6380832931_db6023f7e7_b.jpg
    6380832931_db6023f7e7_b.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 22
^^ that one goes under the "Really Cool" category. Glad there was no real damage.

Looks like my patriot made a pad appearance before it's first ill fated flight of that day. (core sample #1)

Almost forgot one of my all time favorites....

Here is the maiden launch of the original pre-production 3FNC. It was on this day that I realized that an E18 is not sufficient motor for a 20 oz rocket.

P6180747_3FNC_Prang.jpg

P6180748_3FNC_Prang.jpg

:y:

Almost forgot one of my all time favorites....

Here is the maiden launch of the original pre-production 3FNC. It was on this day that I realized that an E18 is not sufficient motor for a 20 oz rocket.

P6180747_3FNC_Prang.jpg

P6180748_3FNC_Prang.jpg

:y:

Isn't it supposed to point up?:wink:

I was kinda of out of the loop in 2011 with personal issues but am ready to hit back hard in 2012. Partial to the Dark Star. Extreme on an AT K700 and the Ultimate on the CTI N2501. You may also recognize it from the third photo, thanks to Nick DeBrita and Rockets Magazine.

Darkstar Extreme b.jpg

Darkstar Ultimate g.jpg

Cover.jpg

Awesome flights G-Man I saw every one of them live! This lull in our local launches is killing me.... Gotta move south.

Of course you remember them GT. How could you forget the altimeter beeping all the way home..lol

MDRA in January......

Of course you remember them GT. How could you forget the altimeter beeping all the way home..lol

MDRA in January......

LOL Thats right! For all the others who don't know that flight thats on RM's cover took a bite of doing to find! George HAD to leave the launch and no sooner did he leave his Rocket was found and brought back to the field.

Needless to say I brought his rocket back home to CT from MD for him and had to listen to his altimeters beep for the 6 hour ride lol, I didn't want to shut them off so as not to lose his data, I should know but what was it 15,320' or something?

Anyway I get home put his bird in the garage till he could come get it, Didn't you know a WEEK! later that thing was STILL beeping! not to loud but beeping none the less... I thought it was still in my freaking head...

Last edited:
The flight shown is the SUCCESSFUL flight on Friday on an I211. Good flight, a little over 1k. This the Dark Matter Demo flight on Saturday was not so good. Despite the obvious problems there was no damage. Not sure why but the nosecone slipped off during inital boost. Only got aboyt 30' off the pad. I'll add shear pins before the next flight.

that looks WAY to close to the ground to be Drag separation, was the nose cone on at least Snug? if so SOMETHING pressurized that during the burn.. maybe early eject?

Glad it was not damaged.. nothing better than a BIG red max..

If so SOMETHING pressurized that during the burn.. maybe early eject?

Just a SWAG ... maybe the motor wasn't all the way in at ignition. If so, it might have pushed forward pressurizing the inside of the rocket.

-- Roger

that looks WAY to close to the ground to be Drag separation, was the nose cone on at least Snug? if so SOMETHING pressurized that during the burn.. maybe early eject?

Glad it was not damaged.. nothing better than a BIG red max..

I know, right!?!? From the sequiences I saw it looket like it started almost as soon as there was vertical motion. It was snugged up, at least as much so as the flight on the day before. The motor was definately in all the way and the Aeropac retainer fully and properly secured, I triple checked. (Side note; Anyone who flys at MDRA and is friends with Bob knows he likes to mess with you by loosening your motor retainer so we all triple check, last one being at the pad:no: ). There was one picture that showed what looked like a small puff of black smoke comming out the top just as the rocket left the rail and the nosecone left the rocket. Wasn't the motor ejection charge. Dan and I both checked that and it looked good; Before and after. Maybe some bypass exaust preasure leaking up around the motor case and into the upper airframe?!? The motor retainer was snug and secure but the motor case did slide into the rocket with no real friction. Best geuss I can come up with. Reguardless, She'll have shearpins next flight. I'll post the pic in question when I get home from work tonight. Maybe you guys can see something I missed.

Last edited:

I know the last ones were the successful flight, I was trying to drive you to post pics of that flight! It worked!

Braden

I know, right!?!? From the sequiences I saw it looket like it started almost as soon as there was vertical motion. It was snugged up, at least as much so as the flight on the day before. The motor was definately in all the way and the Aeropac retainer fully and properly secured, I triple checked. (Side note; Anyone who flys at MDRA and is friends with Bob knows he likes to mess with you by loosening your motor retainer so we all triple check, last one being at the pad:no: ). There was one picture that showed what looked like a small puff of black smoke comming out the top just as the rocket left the rail and the nosecone left the rocket. Wasn't the motor ejection charge. Dan and I both checked that and it looked good; Before and after. Maybe some bypass exaust preasure leaking up around the motor case and into the upper airframe?!? The motor retainer was snug and secure but the motor case did slide into the rocket with no real friction. Best geuss I can come up with. Reguardless, She'll have shearpins next flight. I'll post the pic in question when I get home from work tonight. Maybe you guys can see something I missed.

I don't think you did anything wrong. it may have been a small failure of sorts.. schear pins would not have helped it in that case. (But no harm in schearpinning..)

Better luck next time. I'd hate to see a broken Red max..

Just curious what does yours weigh?? my 5.5" der red max flys best on 5 grain K motors plus 3x6 grain 29mm airstarts.. (yeah it;s kind of heavy)

I don't think you did anything wrong. it may have been a small failure of sorts.. schear pins would not have helped it in that case. (But no harm in schearpinning..)

Better luck next time. I'd hate to see a broken Red max..

Just curious what does yours weigh?? my 5.5" der red max flys best on 5 grain K motors plus 3x6 grain 29mm airstarts.. (yeah it;s kind of heavy)

I want to say it was like 5 or 6 lb. Hit a little over 1k on an I211, between 1k and 1300. I'm not sure what went wrong honestly. Wish it was something I did glaringly wrong, then I'd know how to fix it. It's when I can't put my finger on something specific that I get nervous because I can't say with certainty that I've rectified it. Oh well, I'll be heading home in an hour, I'll post a good sequence then.

Ok. Here is the best shot I have showing what Might be the problem. Looks like a puff of smoke but it's not nearly enough to to be the ejection charge. Plus this just slid out, not popped off. Maybe you all will see something I missed.

SSRG110034.jpg

Smoke signature.jpg

Smoke signature2.jpg

Last edited:
I want to say it was like 5 or 6 lb. Hit a little over 1k on an I211, between 1k and 1300. I'm not sure what went wrong honestly. Wish it was something I did glaringly wrong, then I'd know how to fix it. It's when I can't put my finger on something specific that I get nervous because I can't say with certainty that I've rectified it. Oh well, I'll be heading home in an hour, I'll post a good sequence then.

WOW, thats light. Marks wouldn't leave the rail on an I211 (Sorry Mark, couldn't resist....but dont worry, your rockets not fat....it's just "big boned")

I agree, It looks like something pressurized the rocket at ignition. Either way, cool rocket, glad no major damage.

Kraken on C-11 and Phoenix Bird (estes) on C-6

Later!

--Coop

IMG_20110430_121638.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0246.jpg
    IMG_0246.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 14
Got a few from today:
Executioner on a F32, Drag race with My King Kraken and the "Tuber Hunter", Noel, and a Pterodactyl on a K sparky

EXE03.jpg

HH TH DR 02.jpg

Noel.jpg

pter01.jpg

pter02.jpg

Here are a few of my son hitting the button:

Clone Nike-k

Quest Payloader one

Estes photon probe

Nike-K again

Estes Sky writer

panic! 014.jpg

panic! 017.jpg

panic! 004.jpg

Attachments

• panic! 007.jpg
    panic! 007.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 14
  • Nike-K liftoff.JPG
    Nike-K liftoff.JPG
    61.3 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
This is a picture taken by Thomas Kindig at our monthly sport launch. The rocket is my scratch built 2.6" diameter "Grandpa's Big Shot" on a G engine.

picture.php

Excellent work! :wink::D:D :handshake:

TIP: See if your camera has a Sports Mode or Action Mode. This will cause the camera to select (or prefer) a higher shutter speed reducing blur. Even inexpensive digital cameras have multiple Automatic modes.

Back