Least expensive tracking device?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

majordude

Swimsuit Model
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I know nothing about tracking but after looking at Featherweight GPS Tracker's site, it looks like a transmitter and receiver will set me back $365. Is there something more affordable? At this price, I'd rather just write off the rocket and single use motor.

There are all kinds of trackers at all kinds of price points. A search on TRF or Google will give you lots of products The least expensive are usually cell phone and website based and require cell service to work. Others like the ones previously mentioned have their own GPS receivers and transmit to a base station.

Like everything else in this world, you get what you pay for.

BTW, don't think about the cost of the GPS against the cost of one rocket, consider it against the cost of all your rockets that it can fit in. Most folks build a sled for the GPS and mod all of their nose cones so the tracker can easily be moved from rocket to rocket.

In my case, my transmitter sled fits in a 38mm MMT so my nose cones are modified with 38mm MMT installed to accept the sled. I also have a piece of tubing that can be attached to a shock cord so it can be used in some of my rockets that haven't been modified yet. Right now it fits 8 rockets and will work on the next 3 in the build pile right now. That would make the $365 spread over 11 rockets, about $33 each.

The answer to this is : It depends upon what you are looking for. I've found (with some help from the forum), simple $20 RF "beepers" where you find the rocket using your Baofeng radio (or a handheld scanner), and a homebuilt Yagi directional antenna. There are GPS units of course, but those get pricey, and if you don't want to build any part of the system, there's "Tile" or pet-trackers that are cheap and work with your cell-phone, but have limited range. There's also Marco-polo, but that can get expensive for what it is, but it's a complete system.

So my question to you is: What capability do you seek? Do you *need* GPS if your rockets only travel 1/2 mile downrange? Or are you flying to 25,000 feet and you need to be able to track for 9 miles or more? I ask because if your rockets are flying in a grass field, but get lost when they go beyond the trees, maybe all you need is a screamer attached to your chute. And those are $10 for 2.

The eggtimer mini GPS + RX dongle set is 90$ on sale right now, and all you have to do is walk towards the rocket icon on a GPS map. (some soldering required) A GPS tracker is definitely worth the investment considering how much time a high power bird takes to build...

I know nothing about tracking but after looking at Featherweight GPS Tracker's site, it looks like a transmitter and receiver will set me back $365. Is there something more affordable? At this price, I'd rather just write off the rocket and single use motor.
Check out Eggtimer Rocketry. These are kits that work extremely well and are very affordable.
http://eggtimerrocketry.com/

Back