Launch your model rockets with your smartphone using our bluetooth launch controller!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I personally like the idea.

I wonder if e safety key issue could be resolved by taking advantage of the headphone jack. The could make a special device similar to a credit card reader that would serve as there key, or for that matter a blank headphone plug.

Sent from my iPad using Rocketry Forum

I guess the question is what is the safety key supposed to do?
Stop unauthorized use? Just require a code to enable and a button to disable. Anyone can disable it (Pull the key/push the disable button) but only the people with the code could launch.
Is it to physically disconnect the power? Then an inline relay controlled by the code should work.

To me a belt and suspenders are enough, I don't need to staple my pants too....

The safety key is a physical protection against the rocket being accidentally launched. Of course, we've all seen plenty of people leave the keys in the controllers, especially the little Estes ones, that's why they changed the design about 20 years ago so that you had to push down on the key to arm it. I suppose it could be argued that a code that is only good for a short time (10-15 seconds) to arm a software-controlled launched is equivalent. Personally, for anything over a MicroMaxx I'd only trust a real key on the LCO's possession (neck lanyard or retractable belt keychain); it only takes one "oops" to ruin your whole day.

Last edited:
Back