launch tower help

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matt_taylor

Reaction score
hey guys
Me and the other Matt from NZ are building a launch tower something similar to giant leaps tower but bigger we are using 25mm box tubing(3mm wall) for the guide support, we have two choices on the mounting/blast plate we can either use 12.0 mm 5083 Aluminum alloy or 8mm 6061 Aluminum alloy what do you think we should use? we can get think sizes of the 5083 if 12mm isn't thick enough.this is very important as this hold everything together and will have to take big motors (N+).we are also unsure of the legs , we will use a standard 3 leg design but what diameter should the box tubing be? i was thinking 40mm (3mm wall) 6063 do you guys think is will be ok??? , the guides will be 12mm aluminum connected to the guide support with 8mm all-thread..etc

thanks a lot for your time
matt taylor
https://www.nzrockets.tk

hi
you should use 6061 for the launch pad as it is more heat-resistant... although the difference is very small between 5084 and 6061 in heat-resistance. buy whatever is cheaper :D
on top of the aluminium blast plate you may want to buy a ceramic overlay to put on top of the aluminium, such as a floor tile. as well as protecting the shiny aluminium from the heat of blastoff, you would probably get a cool-looking blast pit after a few launches :p

the thing is that i cant get 6061 plate thicker than 8mm and i don't think 8mm will cut it, yes i will probably put a tile or something there
and of course when we build it (this coming weekend) i will take lots of pics :)

matt

Latest posts

Back