Launch Tower for a BT-20 Rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mh9162013

Reaction score
Right now I'm working on building BT-20 rockets. I'm just about done with my modified Yankee and I built it with the stock launch lug.

But I don't like launch lugs. I've been wishing to do away with them and my original thought process was using a fly away rail guide and a 1010 rail. But someone mentioned that for smaller rockets, a launch tower might be a better idea.

I think I might be able to build my own if I'm just working with 3 fin BT-20 rockets. But are there are how-to guides or at least things to keep in mind when building one? The only thing I know about them is what I've seen from pictures online. I was thinking I could build something like the first picture here (for a BT-20 3 fin rocket, a la Estes Yankee or Wizard):

https://www.nar.org/contest-flying/competition-guide/altitude-events/payload-altitude/
Is it really as simply as having 3 straight rods of adequate length stuck into a base that can securely hold them? What am I missing?

That should work fine for a light weight BT20 rocket.

If the TTW ration is pretty high (light rocket) then you could go shorted than 3 foot rods (rods look to be about 18" in that NAR photo). Shorter will bend less.
If you need longer rods then up the diameter.

Last edited:
Back