Launch pad build/purchase

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TRip066

Reaction score
Hello all.
Admins please move thread if this isn’t the correct forum.
I’m looking to either build or purchase a suitable launch pad that caters to more then two rockets. A Series 2 pro and standard launch rods.
Please let me know if anyone can help.
Thanks again.
Tom

Here's a link to a local launch from a while back that shows what the club uses for LPR and typical MPR rockets. The folding saw-horses have drill chucks attached, as you can see if you flip through the pictures. If an 80/20 rail is needed, a rod is attached to the rail and it is then attached using the same drill chuck.

http://www.rocketrycarolina.org/gallery/march-20th-2016/
Its about as simple and economical as I can imagine. The main caveat is that the 'rod angle' is the same for all rockets on the rack. In general, that's logical, but it limits the ability for one person to try to 'fly the wind' ideally if others on the same rack don't care. We use wood blocks under the legs to tweak the angle to non-vertical angles.

Hope that helps!

Sandy.

Here's a link to a local launch from a while back that shows what the club uses for LPR and typical MPR rockets. The folding saw-horses have drill chucks attached, as you can see if you flip through the pictures. If an 80/20 rail is needed, a rod is attached to the rail and it is then attached using the same drill chuck.

http://www.rocketrycarolina.org/gallery/march-20th-2016/
Its about as simple and economical as I can imagine. The main caveat is that the 'rod angle' is the same for all rockets on the rack. In general, that's logical, but it limits the ability for one person to try to 'fly the wind' ideally if others on the same rack don't care. We use wood blocks under the legs to tweak the angle to non-vertical angles.

Hope that helps!

Sandy.
That's so awesome.. thank you..

Hope it helps you, but obviously someone way smarter than me came up with it a long time before I was involved. I think they buy the cheap Harbor Freight drill chucks and replace them from time to time. WD-40 and the occasional scrub down is required to keep them moving freely. We use simple metal blast deflectors that also need replacing from time to time, but I think it might be the right way to go vs trying to do some ceramic thing that would not get destroyed as quickly.

Look forward to seeing your solution!

Sandy.

I build launch pads that are pretty robust. I have set up a friend and will probably build a 3rd. With three pads plus all the others we are able to launch quite a variety.

Attachments

• 20210327_091903.jpg
    20210327_091903.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 50
  • 20210327_094643.jpg
    20210327_094643.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 54
  • 20210324_204603.jpg
    20210324_204603.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 51
Guessing that being the new guy scared every one away...

I wonder what the OP ended up going with.

Back