Easy DIY Launch Pad That Will Hold a 1/4” Rod?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is a design belonging to one of our club members using a piece just like that. The gray tubes just slip in loosely, they aren't fastened in. He runs a bungee cord around all 3 sides to keep the legs from splaying out, connected to the eye-bolts. The aluminum fixture on top was custom made, I don't know who made it. It can adjust for angle and there is a second screw that allows it to be tightened on any size launch rod.
View attachment 608435
Nice. Have you thought of doing a build thread?

Hi, Brock,
Looking forward to seeing your new launch pad in use at Dove Valley next Spring!

If the hole in the plate is not real tight it might let some exhaust through onto the chuck. Black powder residue is very corrosive and I would worry that eventually might make the chuck where it would be difficult to loosen or tighten. Maybe if you keep it well doused with oil that would protect it enough.
You may find a brass plumbing adapter that will just fit over the rod and cover the hole. I did this when I kept losing the Estes doohickey. It fit the blast plate hole and the rod. .

See post 6

https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/blast-stand-off-replacemenet.163221/#post-2074035

Add one of these for tilt:

https://www.amazon.com/VIELKNOV-Profile-Rotatable-Aluminum-Camcorder/dp/B0C9919XSP
A 1/4-20 bolt up through the middle of that tri-fitting goes into the bottom of the ball mount. A 1/4-20 stud on top is easy enough to connect to a variety of launching guides.
I've used the pad that I fitted one of these to for a few flying sessions now, and it seems to work well. Of course that particular one is no longer available....but I may yet add something like that to my three-pad rack as I mentioned earlier on in this thread. Whether I do that before the club launch scheduled for two weeks from tomorrow or not remains to be seen.....

Back