Launch controller

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highflyer1968

Reaction score
Just wondering if anybody has a good idea where to buy a launch controller for medium power and high power rockets. I was going to buy universal launch controller from Pratt hobbies but it says out of stock and he hasn't answered any emails.

Thanks for your time

Just wondering if anybody has a good idea where to buy a launch controller for medium power and high power rockets. I was going to buy universal launch controller from Pratt hobbies but it says out of stock and he hasn't answered any emails.

Thanks for your time
Are you looking for a single or multi-channel controller? Vendors such as Apogee Components have a selection of simple and inexpensive single channel controllers. Other rocketry suppliers would probably have similar ones. For high end multi-channel systems you should check out the Altus Metrum and Wilson FX launch controllers. You might even be able to build your own if you can handle a soldering iron and have some electronics experience.

Edit:
Just checked Pratt Hobbies site and noted you are possibly looking for a 3-channel controller.

Last edited:
Thanks I'll check out the rocket works site. I'm actually looking for just a single pad launch controller and the Pratt hobbies launch controller was a decent price even though it is a3 pad controller. Also the Wilson FX controller looks good but a little bit pricey for us Canadians.

I built my own using a steel surface mount electrical box made for a toggle switch or receptacle. I put a blank cover plate on it, and drilled a hole in the cover plate in which I installed a starter button from an auto parts store. I drilled holes in each end of it, and installed a jack in each one. The cables from the battery plug into one end, and the cable to the rocket plug into the other. A safety key is not necessary, because you don't connect the battery cable until ready for launch, a safe distance away. After everything is hooked up, you connect the battery cable, then push the button to launch. I got so tired of those cheap toy like controllers and launch pads from Estes and even Aerotech that I decided to build my own heavy duty stuff. Due to the constraints of my launch area, I do not use anything larger than a D motor. I design and build my own rockets, and by using clustering and staging, have reached more than 4000 feet. I used a box similar to this https://www.lowes.com/pd/Sigma-Elec...d-Rectangular-Exterior-Electrical-Box/1098639

Hello High Flier,

I've done a bit of study on this issue and your question needs to be more specific in order to figure out the questions behind your question. And you did say Medium to High power so I'm going to ignore the model rocket launch systems out there and the up-to-g-motor systems out there.. And I should also add that none of the information listed here is meant as an endorsement of any of these systems. The only system that I endorse is the Wilson F/X for all the obvious reasons.
=================================
1) Are you looking for a single-pad high power system for an individual?

If you're just looking for a single-pad high power launch system there are several on the market.

LightSword 2 - by Heavenly Hobbies - $37.99 (I think this will work for HP, but I'm not sure)

GO BOX by Pratt Hobbies - $44.95
GO BOX RELAY - additional relay for by Pratt Hobbies Go- Box - $24 (in addition to the $44.95)

Aerotech's Interlock Controller - $84.99

Single Pad Hardwired system by Wilson F/X - $260.00 (pad-box can be used with WFX LCU-64 in larger system)

Single Pad Wireless system by Wilson F/X (range 1 mile) $550 (pad-box can be used with WFX LCU-64 in larger system)

=========================

2) Are you looking for a Hardwired system for a very small club?

This second question gets beyond the individual into a system for a club, but it sticks with only hardwired systems. And when I'm saying a small club, I'm mostly going with a single bank of pads. In the following systems, when I write "non-expandable" it means that the controller will only operate the number of pads that are listed. Expandable obviously means that the included controller can operate more pads than the single bank of pads listed here.

3-pad - Universal Launch System by Pratt Hobbies - $149.95
can work as hybrid (not expandable)

4-Pad - Wilson F/X - $425 - LCU-4 + PBU-4
same price for dedicated Hybrid system
(not expandable but the PBU-4 will work with WFX LCU-64)

6-Pad - Pratt Hobbies - non-relay system - $149.95
(not expandable)

6-pad - Pratt Hobbies - relay system - $293.95
(not expandable)

8-pad - LCU-64 + PBU-8 - Wilson F/X - $700
(Expandable to 64-pads /128 pads is available)
Additional PBU-8 = $500, PBU-4 = $274, and PBU-1 = $130

20-pad - Black Dog Rocketry by Ron McGough - unable find a price tag???? - (non-expandable) (I don't know if there are still being built and the one system I could find has since been replaced by a 32-pad Wilson F/X system)

=====================

3) Are you looking for a small club system that's wireless?

If you're looking for a wireless system for high power applications there are three on the market that I could find.

4-pad - Missile Works - looks to be partly DIY - between $329.95 and $399.95
(not expandable and I am unclear looking at the documentation if there is any safeguard against cross system interference for using this system as an on-board rocket event controller which is what its designed for while triggering a ground event using it as a 4-pad launch controller)

8-pad - Wilson F/X - LCU-64, WRU-c, and PBU-8w =========== $1060
(Expandable to 64-pads /128 pads is also available - more if you rally want them)
Additional PBU-8W = $650, PBU-4W = $425, and PBU-1 = $280
Can be operated partial hardwired and partial wireless

8-pad - TeleLaunch - 8-pad launch system - byBdale Garbee ==== $1250
(TeleLCO = $650 and TeleFireEight = $650)
(expandable by adding additional TeleFireEight units)
(expandable to 792 pads in 99 separate banks)

=================

4) If you are looking for an expandable large club wireless system with multiple banks and multiple pads per banks with a single controller that will operate them all...
There are really only two systems on the market right now that I can find. The TeleLaunch System and the Wilson F/X system.

I'm sure that BDale would be perfectly willing to answer your questions about a TeleLaunch system as I am to answer your questions about a Wilson F/X system.

If there are other HIGH POWER launch systems on the market, I am unaware of them. But don't forget that you asked for a system for mid-power and High power, so I stuck with high power systems only as all the High Power systems are perfectly capable of being used for mid-power while none of the "mid-power" systems that I could find are suitable for high power applications.

=====================================

Lastly, you did happen to mention that my systems, Wilson F/X are a bit pricy. Dare I say that you get what you pay for. Wilson F/X systems come with a 10 year warrantee. The original 64 pad system is still operating after 16 years now. There are four WFX system operating over ten years, and 15 system operating more than 5 years. So long term, how do you define expensive?

The 3-pad Pratt System is $49.98 per pad and is not expandable

The 6-pad relay Pratt system is $48.99 per pad and is not expandable

The 8 pad Wilson F/X system is $87.50 per pad but is expandable

The 8-pad Wilson F/X wireless system is $132.50 per pad and is expandable.

The 8-pad TeleLaunch wireless system is $156.25 per pad and is expandable.

So if a 3 or 6 pad system is going to do it for you, then roughly $50 per pad will do it. But don't plan to grow any bigger. And trust me, a club will not grow any larger than its system is capable of handling.

The most economical system that can handle the various safe distance tables for various sized motors would be Wilson F/X six pad hardwired system. A club could easily have a PBU-4 at 100 feet for H-J motors, a PBU-1 at 300 feet for K-L motors and another PBU-1 at 500 feet for M motors for a cost of $700. Now that's a 6-pad system in three banks for $116.66 per pad, expandable to up to 64 pads and 8 banks anytime in the future. It really depends on what you really need, now and in the future.

But if you need an expandable system large enough to handle the safe distance tables for various sized motors and then also capable for a regional to national size launch then you need something with a lot larger capability controller and that leaves you with TeleLaunch and Wilson F/X. And thinking in terms of cost per pad is also helpful.

And both Telelaunch and Wilson F/X get more economical as you expand the system. For instance lets look at a typical club sized system in four banks of 8 pads each: a 32-pad system.

A 32-pad Wilson F/X hardwired system will cost you $2000 or just $62.50 per pad.

A 32-pad wireless TeleLaunch system will cost you $3200 or exactly $100 per pad.

A 32-pad wireless Wilson F/X system would cost you $2760 or just $86.25 per pad.

I know that I've thrown a whole lot of information at you in an awful hurry, but you're asking an incredibly important question that needs some expansion for anybody's answers to really be helpful. It is critical to think about your club's future. If its just you and a few buddies, then about any high power system can work.

But if you're really going to get into high power rocketry and expect to grow, then you need to be ready to deal with pads at the various distances for differing motor sizes in the NAR, CAR, and or TRA safe distance tables and that means multiple banks of pads and that means TeleLaunch or Wilson F/X. There really aren't any others to look at.

And like I said, if there are other commercial club sized system out there, I don't know about them. But I'm perfectly willing to add them into my calculations if somebody brings them to my attention.

Hope that helps.

Brad, the "Rocket Rev" Wilson
Wilson F/X Digital Control Systems
Just sold club system #52

Back