L3 cert motor purchase protocol question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JordanT

Reaction score
Is there any special protocol for purchasing an M motor for cert? Do you just tell the vendor "it's for my cert" if they ask? I only ask because it was kind of obvious for my L2 when I bought the "certification special".

The vendor should require you show proof of your L2 status, that's all.

They can sell you one motor for certification purposes. Then, I think they have to wait 30 days before you can buy another one if you fail to certify.

Now, in theory, if you don't mind paying tons of hazmat, I guess you could just never certify, and buy one motor from multiple vendors. Of course, then your club won't let you fly them.

Cool - thanks, guys. I figured it shouldn't be a problem, but it occured to me after I placed the order that I didn't really have all my final paperwork in order for the cert flight. I didn't want to wait and (1) pay a second hazmat and (2) pay non-BF prices for an M. I'm in trouble enough for the cost of all the stuff that goes into the build ;-)

Should you fail & the rocket is still flyable, you may go right ahead, buy another motor and try again the same day!

Tripoli.....don't know how NAR works.

Jim H....TAP

PS: good luck on your attempt.

This year I became L3 and I keep telling my wife that I will only fly one M motor a year... I just bought my second for this year.

I've got a nice stack of propellant screaming at me to be burned :) Good luck on L3!

I've been sitting on my L3 motor for 3 or 4 years now (maybe longer?). Picked it up on the Wildman Black Saturday Sale when the 4" Vindicator dual deploy made it's debut. Don't know what year that was. Still haven't built the rocket yet, then decided on using a different rocket, and haven't finished building it yet. As you can see, I'm in a big hurry to do my L3 :facepalm:

Adrian

I've been sitting on my L3 motor for 3 or 4 years now (maybe longer?). Picked it up on the Wildman Black Saturday Sale when the 4" Vindicator dual deploy made it's debut. Don't know what year that was. Still haven't built the rocket yet, then decided on using a different rocket, and haven't finished building it yet. As you can see, I'm in a big hurry to do my L3 :facepalm:

Adrian
May want to check it for decay - might be an L now...

Back