Are you allowed more than one cert attempt at one launch event?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

overklock

Reaction score
I plan on attempting to certify this coming year. I have built my rocket and purchased a single H90 to use on my Aerotech G-force.

My question is, in the event of a motor malfunction, can I attempt a level one cert more than once at the same launch event? I have two Aerotech G-force rockets (yes I am that paranoid).

Does anyone have any experience purchasing more than one H class motor at once for an attempt? Any issues or did they tell you you can only purchase one?

Will the hosts of the launch events tell me I can only attempt a single cert at one launch event?

Thanks

Yes.
Your number of attempts is kinda unlimited. Your budget is basically it.
I mean try your best to get it in one shot, that is if you wanna save some $$…
I’m sure you’ll do fine.
We all have failures so don’t get me wrong on that.
That’s how we all learn.
And yes, you can purchase motors in the amount you desire limited to the vendors stock of course.

Yes.
Your number of attempts is kinda unlimited. Your budget is basically it.
I mean try your best to get it in one shot, that is if you wanna save some $$…
I’m sure you’ll do fine.
We all have failures so don’t get me wrong on that.
That’s how we all learn.
And yes, you can purchase motors in the amount you desire limited to the vendors stock of course.

Thank you so much! After I had an Aerotech motor CATO on me I'm always a bit on edge (hence building two cert rockets).

I'll try to purchase another H90 from Apogee, shipping is expensive but good for peace of mind.

Absolutely! And you can use a different rocket, different engine and, if necessary, different paperwork so long is it meets requirements and the certification team doesn't mind.

Absolutely! And you can use a different rocket, different engine and, if necessary, different paperwork so long is it meets requirements and the certification team doesn't mind.

Very cool. My worry here was that it was a one in done thing and that I'd have to wait until the next launch event to try again. Considering I can only make it out about 1-2 times per year, that would suck!

Since you have answers to your question I’ll offer this. Reach out to the hosts of launch events with questions like these. Let them know what you’re planning. Ask them if they have a motor vendor. Maybe attend a club meeting and get some up close and personal tips and advice. You might just make some new best friends. :)
Good luck on your cert flight.

Last edited:
Just to be clear, you can make more than one attempt, but I don’t think you are supposed to buy more than one motor in advance so that you can have backup motors just in case. You can buy one motor at a time for cert attempts. So if your launch has an on-site vendor, you could get a motor from Apogee if you want, make an attempt, and if it doesn’t work out, you could go to the on-site vendor and buy another motor for your next try the same day. But technically you should not be buying multiple HPR motors from Apogee until you are certified. I’m not sure how well that’s enforced, but I’m pretty sure that’s how it is supposed to work.

Good luck on your cert attempt!

Since you have answers to your question I’ll offer this. Reach out to the hosts of launch events with questions like these. Let them know what you’re planning. Ask the if they have a motor vendor. Maybe attend a club meeting and get some up close and personal tips and advice. You might just make some new best friends. :)
Good luck on your cert flight.
This is a good idea. I’ll have to reach out as I haven’t seen anything regarding club meetings with my local club (rocstock).

Just to be clear, you can make more than one attempt, but I don’t think you are supposed to buy more than one motor in advance so that you can have backup motors just in case. You can buy one motor at a time for cert attempts. So if your launch has an on-site vendor, you could get a motor from Apogee if you want, make an attempt, and if it doesn’t work out, you could go to the on-site vendor and buy another motor for your next try the same day. But technically you should not be buying multiple HPR motors from Apogee until you are certified. I’m not sure how well that’s enforced, but I’m pretty sure that’s how it is supposed to work.

Thanks! And that does make a bit more sense. I’m hoping that there will actually be vendors at the launch event I’m going to. I reached out to rocstock to find out

A person could buy any number of spare certification motors if that person had them delivered to their Prefect or TAP. That’s the way many of us used to do it.

You'll be fine!! Plan to make a second flight with the spare motor, savor the victory lap!!

This is what I did.
I didn't get my first level 1 rocket (scratch built Mega Der Red Max) done in time for the last fall launch and by the time the first spring launch happened I built a second level 1 quality rocket (Hi-Flyer XXL) over the winter.
I knew a club member was bringing me another H motor so I had a ringer Level 1 rocket ready to go.
The first one was a success that day so the second successful one was just showing off. :)

I’ve signed off on quite a few successful L1 certifications that require second or even third attempts. Someone always finds a motor to loan the person if needed. We want people to succeed, especially on their L1 flight. We don’t want new people to leave a rocket launch dejected.

Yeah I saw this, but it didn’t specify if they only came to rocstock (their large launch events), or if they attended their standard launch events.
The vendors attend most launches, but they travel long distances and sometimes life intrudes. There's a link on the ROC website (lower right corner of every page) to a FB group where the vendors usually post if they'll be making it (and also if that changes at the last minute). You don't need to be on FB to view the posts.

Especially these days, always best to contact the vendor directly to make sure they have what you're looking for in stock. For a cert attempt, probably a good idea to preorder unless they have a bunch.

The vendors attend most launches, but they travel long distances and sometimes life intrudes. There's a link on the ROC website (lower right corner of every page) to a FB group where the vendors usually post if they'll be making it (and also if that changes at the last minute). You don't need to be on FB to view the posts.

Especially these days, always best to contact the vendor directly to make sure they have what you're looking for in stock. For a cert attempt, probably a good idea to preorder unless they have a bunch.
I sent them an email but got a bounce back, better give them a call. Thanks!

When are you planning to cert? ROC has AMW at most launches so you should contact them to see if they’re going to be there and will they hold a second motor for you. In addition, if you go to the registration table, you can probably score a L1 motor from another member. Let me know when you’re coming and I’ll bring a backup H255 or H169 for you. You’ll find that ROC is a very accommodating club and we’ll scramble to see if we can help you.

When are you planning to cert? ROC has AMW at most launches so you should contact them to see if they’re going to be there and will they hold a second motor for you. In addition, if you go to the registration table, you can probably score a L1 motor from another member. Let me know when you’re coming and I’ll bring a backup H255 or H169 for you. You’ll find that ROC is a very accommodating club and we’ll scramble to see if we can help you.
That’s incredibly kind of you! I’m looking to head out sometime in march, hopefully after most of the ice/snow has melted in big Bear. Is it ok if I DM you before hand?

I’ll give AMW a call. They were really helpful the last time I was there. Since I have a bit of time, I’m thinking of building another cert rocket just to take along with me. Maybe a Zephyr, that way I have a 38mm and 29mm that I can attempt a cert on if one goes wrong. I’ll be sure to ask what their stock is and what the plan to bring along.

Thanks again!

DM me to remind me to drop an extra motor in my bag! I‘m usually at all the launches since I’m on the Board of Directors. Should be there in March. Good launch to try for a cert since it’s usually not very busy. We’ve moved ROCStocks to April since June was becoming unbearable so you can always cert then as well. BTW, if you’re certifying via NAR, I’m probably the person that will sign off on your flight!

DM me to remind me to drop an extra motor in my bag! I‘m usually at all the launches since I’m on the Board of Directors. Should be there in March. Good launch to try for a cert since it’s usually not very busy. We’ve moved ROCStocks to April since June was becoming unbearable so you can always cert then as well. BTW, if you’re certifying via NAR, I’m probably the person that will sign off on your flight!
Can’t wait! See you there and thanks again!

That’s incredibly kind of you! I’m looking to head out sometime in march, hopefully after most of the ice/snow has melted in big Bear. Is it ok if I DM you before hand?

I’ll give AMW a call. They were really helpful the last time I was there. Since I have a bit of time, I’m thinking of building another cert rocket just to take along with me. Maybe a Zephyr, that way I have a 38mm and 29mm that I can attempt a cert on if one goes wrong. I’ll be sure to ask what their stock is and what the plan to bring along.

Thanks again!
If you're looking at using a "pick up" motor ad hoc, you might spend some time and pre-run sims for any potential load you think might be used (or bring your laptop for in-the-field sims). Always a good idea to have that data vs a guesstimate! I've seen loads that appeared similar in average thrust give widely different altitude and delay numbers due to propellant type and total impulse.

Back