L1 cert recovery thoughts

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Look at a shock cord protector, don’t worry about a streamer as it is more that can go wrong. I would use a bigger parachute with the chute release at 400’ ft. for a rocket 5lbs or less.
300', or even 200', will work on most Level 1 sized/weight rockets especially if concerned about drift.

300', or even 200', will work on most Level 1 sized/weight rockets especially if concerned about drift.
Kind of depends on how you pack/wrap your chute. If you fold the shroud lines inside the chute so they quickly pull out, a lower level will work great, I've use 100 ft. on one of my L1 rockets. If you wrap shroud lines around the chute, you might need all of the 400 ft. to get the chute open.

Kind of depends on how you pack/wrap your chute. If you fold the shroud lines inside the chute so they quickly pull out, a lower level will work great, I've use 100 ft. on one of my L1 rockets. If you wrap shroud lines around the chute, you might need all of the 400 ft. to get the chute open.
Dont wrap your shroud lines. :)
I pack as you mentioned.

I think having a drogue chute isn't a bad idea as long as it doesn't get tangled, but I think it would be nice to have just so you can keep an eye on it after the event, something in a neon color? Has anyone used a JLCR for an L2 flight say a 3 - 4" rocket? I would imagine it would probably work in theory, but I would NOT use it on anything larger than that.

I think having a drogue chute isn't a bad idea as long as it doesn't get tangled, but I think it would be nice to have just so you can keep an eye on it after the event, something in a neon color? Has anyone used a JLCR for an L2 flight say a 3 - 4" rocket? I would imagine it would probably work in theory, but I would NOT use it on anything larger than that.
Yes, I used a JL Chute Release on my level 2 in a Loc 4" Goblin

As I noted, do not do this for the cert flight. Only do it if you have mid-power flights under your belt and are comfortable with the process. Low & slow, keep it simple, use a JLCR, etc, etc. are not rules, they are suggestions but at the end of the day the flyer has to do what *they* are comfortable with.
Exactly! Just high enough to get a successful single deploy.

Back