Blowing my own horn...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob in Phoenix

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Today I attended the Superstition Spacemodeling Society, NAR Section 506, launch at our Kofa site. I flew a LOC Precision Warlock using a CTI J285. I made the bird 15 inches longer to accommodate a baffle. And I added 1.7 grams of 4F black powder to insure nose cone separation and parachute deployment. I used a 36 inch chute tied to the nose cone, and a 60 inch chute on a swivel tied to a D-ring 5 feet down the 17 foot shock cord.

Ignition! Great flight. Arcing over gently at apogee, the nose separated. The small chute filled almost immediately, pulling the 60 inch chute out of my homemade deployment bag. And the main inflated, no chute tangling, for a gentle return back to our planet.

And yes, this was my Level 2 Certification flight! Yahoo!

Bob in Phoenix
Level 1 THOY Falcon CTI H163 20 Nov 21
Level 2 LOC Warlock CTI J285 21 Jan 23

Congratulations Bob ! I did my level two over twenty years ago so I thought it might be time to start planning for a 2024 Level three.

Baffle, deployment bag, and pilot chute, that's really living!! Congrats

:goodjob: wish there was video
:clapping:
Hobie Dog and Others: As far as I know, no one made an external video of the flight. However, I do have a video from my onboard Estes Astrocam staring down one fin. Unfortunately, the file size is about 1.3 GB. Is there a way to post a file that large here on the Forum?
Thank you.
Bob in Phoenix

Today I attended the Superstition Spacemodeling Society, NAR Section 506, launch at our Kofa site. I flew a LOC Precision Warlock using a CTI J285. I made the bird 15 inches longer to accommodate a baffle. And I added 1.7 grams of 4F black powder to insure nose cone separation and parachute deployment. I used a 36 inch chute tied to the nose cone, and a 60 inch chute on a swivel tied to a D-ring 5 feet down the 17 foot shock cord.

Ignition! Great flight. Arcing over gently at apogee, the nose separated. The small chute filled almost immediately, pulling the 60 inch chute out of my homemade deployment bag. And the main inflated, no chute tangling, for a gentle return back to our planet.

And yes, this was my Level 2 Certification flight! Yahoo!

Bob in Phoenix
Level 1 THOY Falcon CTI H163 20 Nov 21
Level 2 LOC Warlock CTI J285 21 Jan 23
Congratulations Bob...We were there to watch that cert flight. Awesome!

Bob,

I recently used a Warlock to obtain my level 1 on an H550. I've already bought the parts as I too am extending the Warlock 15" but I'm doing it more for weight to kill some of the altitude for my level 2. The extra length will be setup as a payload section for now but I figure it gives me option to possibly play with duel deploy at some point in the future. (not for the cert flight).

Congrats on the Level 2.

Hobie Dog and Others: As far as I know, no one made an external video of the flight. However, I do have a video from my onboard Estes Astrocam staring down one fin. Unfortunately, the file size is about 1.3 GB. Is there a way to post a file that large here on the Forum?
Thank you.
Bob in Phoenix
A file hosting site like Dropbox or Vimeo is likely your best bet... just link the url here.

Thank you.
Bob in Phoenix

You could post it to YouTube

Epic! Another Az L2!

Soooo too much congrats!

Woohoooooooo!

If I no show the Feb launch for L1, I'll be there March. (weather/parts/delays, BLAH-BLAH-BLAH)...things are mess here in Pine. Yuk!

I hope you and Nick can help me Cert. I got nerves of steel but, ya know.....

I could pass out, wee myself and miss the whole thing when I pop the cork.
Since yer L2? Comon! Ya gota help the lil guy!

Grats again on L2, that's just huge, big time huge, hells yes.

See ya round the camp fire. Pop and chili dogs on me.

- kevin.

Back