Kit vs scratch build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimbooregon

Reaction score
Hi all,
I have a mid power rocket in mind and found a kit that was close to what I wanted. I added the cost of changes that I want and then compared that to buying individual parts to .make the exact rocket that I wanted. The cost difference was significant with the scratch build being much more expensive, $87 for the kit and changes and $127 for scratch built. I might be able to save some buy shopping around but then multiple Shipping cost....
I really enjoy the building and design aspect. Is this a typical situation? Does one lay a premium for doing it yourself?
Your thoughts please.
Cheers
James

Just guessing, I think most people scratch build because it's either cheaper or they have the parts laying around... that, or they want to build something that's either out of production or unavailable in kit form.

(Also, for $127 you could buy a high power kit.)

What is it that you're trying to build anyway?

When I scratchbuild, or clone a kit, often what I'll do is I'll buy a complete kit that is similar to my goal, and has many of the parts that I need. From there, I'll just scratch the bits that I don't have, such as fins.

I think it depends on the kit, the parts and their availability. In other words, if what you want to build need 10 parts and you have to buy them from 10 sellers, then you can likely expect to pay more than if you could buy that rocket from a kit from one seller and the extra parts from one other seller. In other words, what's cheaper (kit vs. scratch) will depend on what you want in your build.

For me, there's an appeal with getting a new kit and "unbagging" something shiny and new. But I also like scratch building as it saves me money. But like @Pinetree already mentioned, many people do this (including me) because they have the parts already laying around. And like you, most of the fun for me in model rocketry is the designing/planning/building part of it.

Hi all,
I have a mid power rocket in mind and found a kit that was close to what I wanted. I added the cost of changes that I want and then compared that to buying individual parts to .make the exact rocket that I wanted. The cost difference was significant with the scratch build being much more expensive, $87 for the kit and changes and $127 for scratch built. I might be able to save some buy shopping around but then multiple Shipping cost....
I really enjoy the building and design aspect. Is this a typical situation? Does one lay a premium for doing it yourself?
Your thoughts please.
Cheers
James
Contact the manufacture and see if they can make the updates for what you want. If you have a rocsim or openrocket file, I could see what it would cost for me to put a kit together for you.

Scratchbuilding gets cheaper after you have accumulated some parts. I have a good stock of nose cones, tubes, centering rings, and fin stock, and can do quite a bit of building without purchasing anything. Periodically I restock.

Buying parts just for a single build is, in my experience, consistently more expensive than buying a kit.

As for choice of kit vs. scratchbuild vs. kitbashing, it's all preference.

Scratch building IS way cheaper when you actually make the parts yourself.
Even if you just buy a NC and body tubes, making all the ply stuff saves lots. I can make several sets of 7.5" CR's, bulkheads, AvBay sleds, fins, rail mounts from a sheet of 2'x4' ply, for the cost of 1 set of ready made CR's.

Hi all,
Your thoughts please.
Cheers
James

If you're not making anything yourself, you'll "lay a premium for doing it yourself".

If you invest in tools so you can make the parts, eventually you'll be making parts for pennies.

There are many facets to scratch building, it all depends on you and your budget.

Scratchbuilding gets cheaper after you have accumulated some parts. I have a good stock of nose cones, tubes, centering rings, and fin stock, and can do quite a bit of building without purchasing anything. Periodically I restock.

Buying parts just for a single build is, in my experience, consistently more expensive than buying a kit.

As for choice of kit vs. scratchbuild vs. kitbashing, it's all preference.
+1

Great replies all and something to think about. Seems like scratch building after being in the hobby a while makes sense, also making fins centering rings etc.
Thanks

Same here...Many times I buy a kit then do mods & additions.
Other times, if I have all the parts needed or can make them I will scratch build.
This is particularly true when I want to build something that there no kit close.

Scratchbuilding is something you do sometimes because you want a rocket "just so," not as someone else designed it, and sometimes just for the pleasure of engineering something from a blank sheet. If you make it a habit, you find yourself buying parts in bulk. Eventually with enough parts, your unit cost drops below that of a kit. However given the spare parts you build up in those bulk orders, your total outlay will always be higher than that of the strict kit-builder. Worth the cost, IMO.

You could always learn to model and 3d print your parts.

The unfinished grey/white rocket is less than a roll of filament (petg). This version has a longer booster, but on the previous version it got to about 1400ft on a G53. I don't know how it compares because I save money by buying the non-printable parts (cord and rail buttons) in large quantities. Not including electronic and engine hardware, it probably less than the $80 kit you're considering. Unfortunately though, this excludes the entry cost for the printer... and I use a bigger one so I can make larger parts. It's worth considering though if you like scratch building custom designs (I do lol).

IMG_6435.JPG

Buying a kit and then changing/supplementing parts to make your custom built design is just an economical way to get the parts

Scratchbuilding is something you do sometimes because you want a rocket "just so," not as someone else designed it, and sometimes just for the pleasure of engineering something from a blank sheet. If you make it a habit, you find yourself buying parts in bulk. Eventually with enough parts, your unit cost drops below that of a kit. However given the spare parts you build up in those bulk orders, your total outlay will always be higher than that of the strict kit-builder. Worth the cost, IMO.

This is an example of why bad_idea and I get along.

The rocket in my avatar started as an LOC Warlock kit that I got from another member here. The only kit parts were the nosecone and body tube (until the tube was replaced after a zipper). It was cheaper to buy the kit than to buy parts, and definitely cheaper to buy from another hobbyist than to buy new.

Since I like upscales, there usually isn't a kit available, sometimes you can get a kit that has the right nosecone (such as turning a 3" Red Max into a 3" Citation Patriot) and it is cheaper/easier that sourcing all the parts separately.

Last edited:
Back