Kit or scratchbuilt level 2 rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

For level 2 HPR certification, kit or scratchbuilt rocket?

• Kit, built stock

Votes: 16 27.6%
  • Kit, but improved

Votes: 29 50.0%
  • Scratchbuilt

Votes: 19 32.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I used a LOC Expediter with the transition converted to an alt bay for my L2. It wasn't initially built with the intent of being my L2 rocket, but after several successful DD flights on big I motors, I simmed it out and realized it would work quite well. And it did. The success of that rocket led me to having the confidence to scratch build a few HPR rockets. I understood the principles behind the designs very well prior to that, I just never felt I had the time or the tools to scratch build something. After that L2 flight, I realized I had everything I needed. I still don't scratch build too many things...I'm just not that creative...lol

Most of my rockets are scratchbuilds, so that was my plan for cert rockets from the beginning. I spent a long time at L0 working on various techniques so didn't end up going for L1 until I figured I was pretty close to ready for L2. When it came time to build, I built for L2 and used the same rocket for both L1 and L2 certs.

I don't know if I'll ever go for L3, but if I do someday, it will nearly certainly be another scratchbuild.

Back