It's a dead ringer...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bohica

Reaction score
Well that's what I call it anyway....:D Sorry for the terrible pic...better ones coming...

I built this "thing" several years ago and basically forgot about it until a thread over at "Ye Olde" reminded me of it.

Amazingly it's super stable and flys great. This particular rocket has a 13mm mount and flys on 1/2A and up. But...I know darn good and well that I have an 18mm version around here somewhere.

Most folks that see it duck when it's on the pad...generally they are muttering something about "death loops" and "tail dancing" but they change their tune when it lights off and flies dead straight! :rock:

dead_ringer.jpg

That looks fantastic!

If you don't want to kit it you can just post plans... :D

I would like to see plans for this Bochia it looks awesome.

Also on the Shameless note. I am trying to order but right now and sick, so I can't work. The only chance I have of getting any cash is this weekend, so please save one for me. I have every intention to buy this one. If I can't , well just send a " prototype" to John so I will be able to at least see it fly.

Well that's what I call it anyway....:D Sorry for the terrible pic...better ones coming...

I built this "thing" several years ago and basically forgot about it until a thread over at "Ye Olde" reminded me of it.

Amazingly it's super stable and flys great. This particular rocket has a 13mm mount and flys on 1/2A and up. But...I know darn good and well that I have an 18mm version around here somewhere.

Most folks that see it duck when it's on the pad...generally they are muttering something about "death loops" and "tail dancing" but they change their tune when it lights off and flies dead straight! :rock:

Now that's a KEWL one Bohica!
Very nifty looking! I'm with Skippy of you don't kit it man I'd sure Like to get a plan:)

If it isn't too much trouble, I would be interested in the plans too. It's a nice looking rocket.

Craig

Let's see a photo of the white one in the back right of the frame.

Sweet. If you don't mind, may I also have the plans? Looks extremely cool, and it'll be a great up/downscale.

gotta say,I like the dead ringer prototype too ! it's unique.

ofcourse it has to have the essential borocks evil name...lol

Bohica,

Can I please have a copy of the plans when you get a chance. Something about having a rocket that looks like a "Flying Spike of Death" just gives me the warm fuzzies.

John

Rather than endure the next two dozen "me too" (not raggin' on anyone who asked, but there have been quite a few) why not just post the plans to the site or on ERRM or someplace and just point to them there?

Its quite a nice design and if provided, I'd download the plans and build one as well (maybe an upscale one too)

-Aaron

I am actually considering kitting the Dead Ringer but if yall will promise not to tell anybody i'll post a little info...Keep it quiet...:D:D:D

EDIT: Quick note....Make sure you add .5 ounce of nose weight for the 18mm version. As noted later in this thread adding an insufficient amount of nose weight will cause the 18mm Dead Ringer to rotate one time at burnout before she pukes the laundry. And while this may sound "Kewl" (does to me anyway) it's not a planned maneuver! :D

dead_ringer_specs.gif

HEY EVERYONE! BOCHIA HAS GOT PART OF THE PLANS FOR HIS NEW KIT RIGHT HERE. Suden silence in the house after weird figure walks into room.

All of you builders keep in mind that this design is very, VERY lightweight. The 13mm version gives a very good "backyard" flight on a 1/2A3-2T.

The 18mm version will benefit from .3oz in nose weight assuming you use the common PNC50 nose cone. A lighter balsa cone may require a tad more...I have not tried it.

If anyone has any questions, comments, or suggestions please feel free to post them here. I would love to see a build thread and an upscale...HINT!:D

One variation of the design places the CR5055 at the mid point of the main body tube. It looks pretty good that way and supposedly flies very well in that configuration.

Bo

The silver color and round shapes made me think of a retro-futuristic design. Maybe with some swoopy fins or landing gear, or both. "Saturn's Ringer"?

design.jpg

The silver color and round shapes made me think of a retro-futuristic design. Maybe with some swoopy fins or landing gear, or both. "Saturn's Ringer"?

Hummm... it might add too much weight in the rear but I'll look into it as well. What's bugging me is trying to figure out how to make it light and still strong enough to survive the landing. Maybe horizontal landing with a shock cord sling mount would allow for cardstock and balsa landing gear...

Thinking...

Hummm... it might add too much weight in the rear but I'll look into it as well. What's bugging me is trying to figure out how to make it light and still strong enough to survive the landing. Maybe horizontal landing with a shock cord sling mount would allow for cardstock and balsa landing gear...

Thinking...

I thought about the weight, but it shouldn't be too bad. The feet of the landing gear should provide enough drag to keep the CP well behind the CG??? (I don't think those fins will add much to stability since they're going to be in the turbulence behind those rings.)

I'm thinking the dowels could be bamboo BBQ skewers.
PROS
- on a hard landing can bend quite a bit before breaking
- i already have them
CONS
- slightly heavier than hardwood dowel (just a guess)
- if too springy during flight it could cause stability problems

Latest posts

Back