Is rocketry an "obsession"?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

techrat

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
After a long hiatus (of almost 40 years), I came back into this hobby in late March. Right now, it's literally all I think about. I mean, I'm sitting at work posting on the forum. Right now, it's like I live breathe eat model rocketry. I'm hungry to learn everything I can. I've purchased models in anticipation of building them even though I don't have space (yet) to put them anywhere. So I screwed hooks into the wall to hang them in their plastic bags.

Am I just obsessive compulsive, or do others experience this as well? Let me know I'm not alone!

After a long hiatus (of almost 40 years), I came back into this hobby in late March. Right now, it's literally all I think about. I mean, I'm sitting at work posting on the forum. Right now, it's like I live breathe eat model rocketry. I'm hungry to learn everything I can. I've purchased models in anticipation of building them even though I don't have space (yet) to put them anywhere. So I screwed hooks into the wall to hang them in their plastic bags.

Am I just obsessive compulsive, or do others experience this as well? Let me know I'm not alone!
You are not alone. :)

OCD is only a D if it negatively impacts living. If ROC fires your imagination and creative energy, the people in your life and work should be happy that some spills over.

Just pace yourself.

It can be a bit of an obsession - personally I tend to go in hot or cold cycles - I alternate between spending hours building followed by dormant periods where the dust tends to collect on the workbench. But when it comes to flying I make a real effort to go to as many club launches as possible and fly lots of rockets every time I go! Making fire and smoke - that’s the real obsession 😆

I fit the profile. I am 68 and back into it at a near obsession level. I am quite comfortable with it as it fills my time and my mind with comforting energy and does no harm to anyone. Better this than politics or the other craziness around us everywhere.

Attachments

• 6B0E6C07-5740-4156-A336-E4113BAE1C0F.jpeg
    6B0E6C07-5740-4156-A336-E4113BAE1C0F.jpeg
    175.1 KB · Views: 0
I fit the profile. I am 68 and back into it at a near obsession level. I am quite comfortable with it as it fills my time and my mind with comforting energy and does no harm to anyone. Better this than politics or the other craziness around us everywhere.
Amen to that brother.

I didn't think so. Recently Mrs told me I had rockets all over the house. I thought I had them neatly stacked on the rack on the garage wall.
So I walked the house looking to see if Mrs was right. (she normally is) Yep, no exception this time. I have rockets all over the house.

I was obsessed for several years, but lately other things have moved up the priority scale in my life. Enjoy it to the extent that you want. Watch out for overspending. Take breaks when other things come up.

There's something relaxing about it. As long as I ignore Roc sim's.

Try RC car racing. That's an addiction. Expensive. Unhealthy. Time consuming. It turns into a second job. And it's a complete sausage fest.

Obsessive
Compulsive
PASSION!
😁

I love how it keeps you learning about things like aerodynamics, strength of materials, construction techniques, programs, electronics, (exploding things 😁), physics, list goes on.

Amazing how it pushes even old tech-resistant people to learn and do new things and do what our parents told us to do...go out and play! 🙂

I will add that launching has given me a nice tan, as well as many sunburns, although the red fades after a day. And I'm getting nice fresh air, if mixed with a little black powder....

Aaaaaaand........... having found this image on the forum, I now don't feel that I'm so bad. In fact, compared to this person, I'm moderating quite well and not at all obsessed....

Attachments

• 432953-c3fbf7e7b50ba7dbbf4040cd6278f7f5.png
    432953-c3fbf7e7b50ba7dbbf4040cd6278f7f5.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 0

obsession​

noun
ob·ses·sion | \ äb-ˈse-shən , əb- \​

Definition of obsession

1: a persistent disturbing preoccupation with an often unreasonable idea or feeling
broadly : compelling motivation
//an obsession with profits
//has an obsession with gambling​

An obsession? Not really.
A fun hobby? Sure.

I mean, I'm sitting at work posting on the forum. [...]. I've purchased models in anticipation of building them even though I don't have space (yet) to put them anywhere. So I screwed hooks into the wall to hang them in their plastic bags.

Neah.
Just a healthy mix of procrastination (at work) and recreational shopping with a touch of hoarding (at home).

BTDT.
:angiefavorite:

Speaking of needing a hobby:

Last edited:
I think I was obsessed with building for a while. I think I have a dozen models that have needed paint for a few years. I really enjoy the build more than flying, and the stack of kits/parts seems to say that.
I impulsively bought Estes motors for a while (back when the Hobby Lobby coupon helped). I now have a lifetime supply for as little as I get to fly.
Seem to have lost the drive to complete L2 now that the rocket has been rebuilt after the last crash.

Back