Irrational fear of being robbed?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm going to offer some slightly different advice.

You mention that your fear is "irrational." This may or may not be true, but I would trust that self diagnosis, not that you are irrational, but that this is a mental problem, not a home security one.

(If I am incorrect, feel free to ignore me and follow some of the good, and slightly crazy, advice in the rest of this thread).

I've found myself with some irrational fears at times, and what has helped me is to develop information or habits that put my mind at ease. In your case, make a habit of walking your house right before going to sleep; check the locks, the windows, and alarms (if you have them). Most importantly, while doing this, make a note of something that will allow you to remember that you did this today. I have found that when lying in bed I can convince myself of almost anything; it helps if you can remember "I checked the windows because I saw the neighbors football in my backyard that I need to throw back tomorrow" or some such. Remembering habits can easily be discounted because you do the same thing everyday.

Also, if you are being kept awake by something, get up and fix it. Lying in bed almost never solves the problem. Make your rounds again and when you return you will be assured that everything is at peace.

Just my 2¢, plus a little experience

Great advice!

YES! +1000!

I was reading this thread and wondering why no one had suggested that the OP just quit reading or tuning into the crime reports on the news. For the sake of ratings, the televised news programs have amp'd up their coverage over the last few decades to the point that they *want* you to think you are always about to be the victim of some massively violent crime. They *want* you to be paranoid so that you'll stay glued to their newscasts! If you want to feel safe in your own home, step 1 is to quit the TV and radio news broadcasts. And don't think that avoiding local broadcasts will be enough - it won't be. Just because the mayhem stories are not from your area doesn't mean they won't have an effect on your subconscious. This doesn't mean you have to be a hermit; just find some news sources that don't hype the crime reports and stories of violence.

+ SECOND!

The news media and so-called entertainment industry thrives on fear and paranoia. And they could care less about the damage they inflict upon young minds. These fear mongers are the sickest of the sick and as criminal as the robbers that young Cody fears because they are stealing the innocence of our youth.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/album.php?albumid=579

Last edited:
Don't get a gun.
If you know you have an irrational fear, then get help, not a gun.
Chances are that you will either hurt yourself or someone you know (and maybe even love).
Therapy (and sometimes meds) can do wonders for you.
If you don't make a connection with the first therapist, find another.
Knowing you have a irrational fear is the first step.

Trust me. It's my day job.

That's good advice!
If you even question your state of Mental Health, definitely seek help, as being burglarized is the very least of your problems, and it is definitely not time to be around things like Vehicles or Firearms.
One of my Highschool Buddies started having strange thoughts, and he did the right thing and went to the Doctor. Turned out he had had a Brain Anurism, and had to have it removed.
Mental Health is like taking care of your Feet. You don't pay enough attention to it until it requires attention, and a little bit of prevention goes a long way!

Last edited:
Thanks guys for the support... Honestly, I think just venting on here made it better as I have not had this experience since I posted this. :)

I know 2-3 times in a span of 10 years I heard unexplained noises when alone, grabbed a gun or machete and did a walk through to see that nobody was there. Sounds like you are experiencing this at a much higher frequency.

Is it getting worse, staying the same, or getting less frequent? Worse is a red flag to do something before it gets too bad - talk to a doctor - even your PCP might be able to help or give a good reference.

...how about a rational fear of being robbed? I think the real estate broker handling the sale of our property is running a scam on us. I stupidly gave over my rights to my sister because of the way the law reads on the proviso that if any one of us (6 kids) could say no and that would be it. Now my sister is refusing to listen to us and has taken the bit in her teeth. I'm having to get a lawyer to get an injunction preventing the sale :( The property has a commercial value of $189,00 an acre for just the land, that's $458,000 total. We are being forced by her to accept a offer of $280,000.... That's too big a difference.

I guess I lawyer up tomorrow :(

I mean this is all honesty, if it is interfering with your ability to sleep and therefore your life, it may be the kind of thing to go see a therapist about.

Seriously, this is the right approach...

+1. And don't think of it as being something "wrong" with you that needs to be fixed. Think of it as being under some stress and you could use some help learning to cope with it.

Talk to your parents; talk to your doctor; talk to your minister. It's surprising how much the advice differs here but the reasons behind all the advice reduces to one thing: (I'm old enough to say it.) love. There are a lot of good people in the world.

Last edited:
...how about a rational fear of being robbed? I think the real estate broker handling the sale of our property is running a scam on us. I stupidly gave over my rights to my sister because of the way the law reads on the proviso that if any one of us (6 kids) could say no and that would be it. Now my sister is refusing to listen to us and has taken the bit in her teeth. I'm having to get a lawyer to get an injunction preventing the sale :( The property has a commercial value of $189,00 an acre for just the land, that's $458,000 total. We are being forced by her to accept a offer of $280,000.... That's too big a difference.

I guess I lawyer up tomorrow :(

Good luck, Dave. My father gets smarter by the day: he had his farm surveyed into parts for each child, deeded each part upon his death, and filed everything in the court house, and when he died, I had virtually nothing to do and my siblings and I have never had a harsh word among us.

Before we load Cody up with psychotropic medications and AK-47's I just have one question:

Cody, how old are you?

Good luck, Dave. My father gets smarter by the day: he had his farm surveyed into parts for each child, deeded each part upon his death, and filed everything in the court house, and when he died, I had virtually nothing to do and my siblings and I have never had a harsh word among us.

More evidence has come to light, the real estate agent sold us down the river. He made the lowball offer to the city, not the city came to him. *&^*^( is in such deep doodoo. This could cost him his job and real estate license. Biggest problem is the schism he's caused for my family, that could take a long time to work out.....if ever....

First, as others have pointed out, violent crime (heck, violence in general) has decreased over the history of man. Other graphs of just in the US show violent crime (homicide) in general is just about as low as it has ever been since we have existed as a country...coming close to the lowest rate we have ever had (1950s). So all the hype you hear about how violence is everywhere is just that...hype.

Secondly, as long as you know the fear is irrational, it can be overcome. As others have said, be careful using external means (a firearm, security setups, etc) to try to control it verses internal means (therapy, knowledge, etc).

FC

Well. I do have a loaded .22 bolt action rifle but it's deep in a closet. My primary weapon of choice is a 24" wooden Carl Yastrzemski Little League baseball bat, twice photo'd by the Ada County Sheriff and returned....

I'd be really saddened if I broke it over someone's head, it's actually worth quite a bit ;)

Cody,

Your fears are not irrational, simply unlikely. Regardless of the unlikeliness, plan accordingly, have a home defense plan in place. Discuss your fears with your parents and develop a security/protection plan together as a family. The most important thing in life is family. Get them involved, get everyone on the same page. Keep a flashlight near your bedside as well as a phone at all times. Surefire G2X is a nice bedside flashlight. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/893453-REG/SureFire_g2x_d_bk_G2X_Pro_LED_Flashlight.html

Please keep in mind that when things go wrong, they go wrong quickly. You have to plan and prepare since time is not on your side in a SHTF scenario such as an intruder in your home. I think proper planning and preparedness would go a long way to calming your anxiety.

Just my .02 folks...

More evidence has come to light, the real estate agent sold us down the river. He made the lowball offer to the city, not the city came to him. *&^*^( is in such deep doodoo. This could cost him his job and real estate license. Biggest problem is the schism he's caused for my family, that could take a long time to work out.....if ever....

Wouldn't want to be in that real estate agents shoes nor have a split family. I hope you guys can work it out.

Wouldn't want to be in that real estate agents shoes nor have a split family. I hope you guys can work it out.

Kinda hard to find a lawyer around New Years :) I have done some online research into the Idaho Codes surrounding this. I will be having the real estate agent arrested for Idaho Statute Title 54: Section 20: Subparagraph 4:; Interfering in a Contract. This is a criminal act and one I'm not about to forgive :dark:

I have scheduled an appearance with the Airport Commission when they meet next week to ascertain these facts. I believe further investigation will reveal that the agent approached that airport with a lowball offer in an effort to roll-over the property, the airport did not come to him with the offer as he has asserted.

Problem is he tried to roll-over ME!! Not happening...

Thanks for letting me vent, this is very stressful :p

I didn't read all the posts.
But I can tell you from experience that fears, especially in sleep, are more of a things to pass, not of to come.
Unless you beleive you are experiencing things of a past life, then it is what is to come.
I have dreamed all my life. And always of things that are 100 or more years old.
Today, I wish I rode horses, buggies, wagons, farmed, carried side arms and a rifle. It's my concious today's Dream of living. Log cabin and all.
You may be experiencing an event that has passed in your previous life.
It is all in what you beleive in.
For you, you need to reach deep in your mind in your sleep and imagine what would have stopped the invader.
Put that into your life as of today. This will relaxe your mind. Even awake, go through the motions of what you would do.
I use to keep my 45-70 loaded next to my bed. Had to basically pawn it last month.
But I'll get it back. But now, I keep a 12ga pump w/5 shots of 00 Buck Shot nest to me.
I sleep like a log.
As a kid, nightmares haunted me. Way more than youngungs should. Alligators eating me, chashed by wild animals, etc.
In my youth, my uncle came from Flint, MI every weekend w/ his 3 boys and we either went hunting or fishing every weekend.
He was in the Koreian War. Did some of his experiences come out in me? Who knows?
I did not have a bad youth. I had the best that could be in the 60's. Parents were very laxed.
Punishment came in dreams.
Even today I dream. I can jump like the hulk is my favorite. But someone is always chasing me.
Hovering over water is another. But I'm always trying to beat someone else to the end.
But I don't have the nightmares that woke me up and kept me up anymore, but I have a weapon next to me every single night.
I think the brain works in myserious ways. You have to find your own way to deal with it.
Your fear is being invaded, find a way to make your unconcious self comfortable when you sleep and you will be fine.

Kinda hard to find a lawyer around New Years :) I have done some online research into the Idaho Codes surrounding this. I will be having the real estate agent arrested for Idaho Statute Title 54: Section 20: Subparagraph 4:; Interfering in a Contract. This is a criminal act and one I'm not about to forgive :dark:

I have scheduled an appearance with the Airport Commission when they meet next week to ascertain these facts. I believe further investigation will reveal that the agent approached that airport with a lowball offer in an effort to roll-over the property, the airport did not come to him with the offer as he has asserted.

Problem is he tried to roll-over ME!! Not happening...

Thanks for letting me vent, this is very stressful :p

Good, we've had too members able to get off some steam. I hope you find the right lawyer.

Good, we've had too members able to get off some steam. I hope you find the right lawyer.

I signed up on a website called Lawyer Match. It said it matched me with lawyers that handle that kind of case so I should have several to choose from.

I think I'm going to try to set up a meeting with the agent, his boss, and the lawyer that was at the meeting. Lawyer's won't lie for you and I want her to remind the agent of the terms of the contract. I think I got the process stopped by not allowing the pre-purchase inspection of the property, I turned them away. And I don't think a City Inspector would falsify a report, would he?.....

I signed up on a website called Lawyer Match. It said it matched me with lawyers that handle that kind of case so I should have several to choose from.

I think I'm going to try to set up a meeting with the agent, his boss, and the lawyer that was at the meeting. Lawyer's won't lie for you and I want her to remind the agent of the terms of the contract. I think I got the process stopped by not allowing the pre-purchase inspection of the property, I turned them away. And I don't think a City Inspector would falsify a report, would he?.....

Sounds like a good plan if I understand right that your lawyer will be in the meeting with the other three people you mention. But, of course, you're right, government employees would never falsify a report.:eyeroll:

Sounds like a good plan if I understand right that your lawyer will be in the meeting with the other three people you mention. But, of course, you're right, government employees would never falsify a report.:eyeroll:

Things got even more interesting. I called the "family lawyer". My sister hadn't contacted her and I had to remind her of the one vote veto that she emphatically emphasized several times. She was YELLING at me about how I couldn't stop the sale. I reminded her of the veto thing we siblings all voted on wiith no one voting against , this was to hold true up to the point of final paper signing. This isn't happening, I stop the pre-sale HAZMAT inspection they do on old houses inspecting for lead paint and asbestos. IF they try to say it happened all I got to say is,"...did you find the can of Dichlorodiphenyltrichloroethane? How about the 1/2 pint can of Zyklon B? ...the 1 pound can of black powder? Surely you didn't miss the two inches of mercury in a brown glass bottle? Wouldn't want to crush the mercury bottle with the front end loader they will use to smash the house my grandfather, and later with my father, built into rubble then load it into the dumptruck to spread the metal from here 10 miles to the dump over a major road..."

She yelled that she was calling the sheriff....I can't imagine what they could possibly do in this situation....it's a civil matter now... She's a U of Idaho Law School grad, stupidest f*****g lawyers in the universe. That's one of the questions I'm asking prospective attorneys; What law school did you go to and I really don't want to bring it up but what religion are you? My sister, the agent, and the lawyer are all of the same religion and I won't go into that subject any further but that's a determining factor here in Idaho. I want a Californian for a lawyer, bigger chance of no local bias.

...I'm still waiting for the Ada County Sheriff to show at my door. It's 5:30 local....should I make dinner, I haven't eaten so I had room for Ada County Jail's exquisite dining and overnight stay accommodations....?

Oh, 5 points each for knowing what the first two HAZMAT items are :)

Last edited:
Was the DDT in powder form? Spreads as a dust cloud better than the liquid, right :eyeroll:

Adrian

5% solution can of Black Flag insecticide from the 1960's, maybe the late 50's. Can's intact, little rusty on the top but not penetrated as far as I can tell.

Ok, guesses on the second? Easy to find on the internet, Empty can of "proper age and origin" can garner a bit of interest on eBay. Go to youtube and you would learn more about it than you might want to know.....

Last edited:
Well, to be honest, I had to confirm my answer using Google. I had a firm inkling, but wanted to make sure.
My John Deere books showing equipment from the '50's always show the DDT applicators and guys slinging the dust around like it's fairy dust. Masks?? They scoffed at those :facepalm:

Adrian

Back