Irrational fear of being robbed?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

codysmith

Reaction score
Tonight, as well as many nights, I got all worked up convincing myself that there was a burglar in my house. It's one of those irrational fears that really interferes with my life. Because of tonight's scare, I cannot sleep... This happens all too often.:yawn::eyeroll:

It's kinda weird though because I live in a quiet neighborhood and robberies are very rare. I have never been robbed. Every time I hear even the slightest noise I go into panic mode...:shock:

Does this happen to anyone else on here? How do you guys cope with it?

There was a guy who was afraid of rats. He felt this fear was silly and having a negative impact on his life. This man finally decided rid himself of his fear of rats by catching a rat by hand, cooking it, and finally eating it. It worked. He man no longer has a fear of rats. Just an idea.

There was a guy who was afraid of rats. He felt this fear was silly and having a negative impact on his life. This man finally decided rid himself of his fear of rats by catching a rat by hand, cooking it, and finally eating it. It worked. He man no longer has a fear of rats. Just an idea.

...well...if his home invader is a rat this just might work ;)

However, catching a burglar by hand, cooking it, and finally eating it would probably not be safe, socially acceptable, or palatable. :wink:

Why not.... :p
Well, it may be stronger, better skilled at hand to hand combat, under the influence of some sort, diseased, and/or better armed than him.

How many socially acceptable cannibals do you know of?

And eating a person may not be to his tastes, menu restrictions, or sense of justice. :tongue:

I mean this is all honesty, if it is interfering with your ability to sleep and therefore your life, it may be the kind of thing to go see a therapist about.

Tonight, as well as many nights, I got all worked up convincing myself that there was a burglar in my house. It's one of those irrational fears that really interferes with my life. Because of tonight's scare, I cannot sleep... This happens all too often.:yawn::eyeroll:

It's kinda weird though because I live in a quiet neighborhood and robberies are very rare. I have never been robbed. Every time I hear even the slightest noise I go into panic mode...:shock:

Does this happen to anyone else on here? How do you guys cope with it?

First ensure that you have taken every effort to secure your home. Door/window locks and alarms if necessary. There are some inexpensive alarms at hardware and home improvement stores that are battery powered. I use some of them as locators in my rockets.
Trust your dogs, they should alert you if a bad person gets into your home.
If after doing all of this you still have the feelings and if they are interfering with your quality of life, please seek counseling.
Believe me it helps. It was a different situation but counseling helped in dealing with something that was effecting my life.

I've had the same irrational fear. Perhaps not to that extent, but I know what you're talking about.

Nate

If you feel the fear is irrational, and it is interfering with your life, then that's something to seek counseling for. It sounds like your neighborhood and home are safe, so I don't think the answer is to increase your home security. In fact, that might just feed into whatever is going on. And I'm not qualified to know if that's what would happen or not, but it doesn't seem to make sense to take more and more precautions against something that is not really a danger.

Your rational mind is telling you there is nothing to worry about, but you are still having a high level of anxiety about it. A lot of people have these kinds of reactions to different things, and it's probably something that's easy enough for a professional to help you work on. It's probably covered by your insurance.

I'm not sure, maybe I will look into seeing something... I know all the noises that I hear are just from having an old house but when I am in "panic mode" it's not... I will talk to people about it... Thanks for the suggestions guys!

Your fear is only slightly irrational. Burglaries and home invasions do occur. My house was burglarized last year, but I was not home.
Since then I've installed Cameras. We also have Castle Doctrine here in Vermont, and I'm a former Gun Salesman, so my advice to people that are afraid of bieng victimized is typically to get a Firearm or ten, and seek and get the TRAINING that is necessary to use them safely and properly in accordance with your local laws. One of the Customers of mine was a lady that had been in an abusive relationship, and had a restraining order against her ex. I sold her her Pistol, and volunteered my time to take her to the Range and show her how to shoot.
About a month later her ex broke into her house and threatened her life and she was able to defend herself.
If you are not comfortable with Firearms, atleast get one of those Dogs that bark at everything, or the Camera System if you can afford it too, so that when you are victimized, it will atleast be on camera to help aid the Police in catching the bad guys.

Last edited:
I've had something similar... My sister is gone to college and our rooms share a bathroom. Every once in a while I fear that there is a murderer hiding in my sister's bedroom because, you know, he could hide in there for days and we'd never know! :eek: . I've weirded myself out to such an extent that I have to go through the bathroom, turn on the lights, look behind the shower curtain, then go into her room and turn on the lights and looks every place a person could hide. After that I'm usually okay. :p

Last edited:
I mean this is all honesty, if it is interfering with your ability to sleep and therefore your life, it may be the kind of thing to go see a therapist about.

+1. And don't think of it as being something "wrong" with you that needs to be fixed. Think of it as being under some stress and you could use some help learning to cope with it.

Arm yourself and learn how to shoot!

2 days after moving all my furniture & belongings into my new residence, [1985] I opened my front door to find everything stolen......I mean everything. The only item in the entire house was a small cushion from one of my couches, left on the floor & a toothbrush.

They took all the clothes even, and the dog was outside in the backyard. I did not leave him there, they did. This was a broad daylight invasion.

To say I was Pi$$ed off is an understatement. Police were useless, I did my own investigation & found the thieves home only 2 blocks away.[that's another story involving canvasing the neighbor hood myself & offering cash...no questions cash rewards for info.]

Armed with a 45 Glock and a dirty Harry attitude, 2 shots through their front door, and another in the ceiling once inside, after facing off with several assailants, they knew the next one ,was for one of them.[yes I have a carry license ].

They were arrested 2 males, a female, and 2 kids were put in child care. I held them at gunpoint to the police arrived. I did call them before hand, telling I knew for sure where my stuff was BUT was told the case had to handled by detectives and would take at least a week of investigation to get a search warrant. I politely informed them I was headed over there NOW , was armed and would make a citizen arrest.

I waited outside for half an hour, for the police to arrive, getting madder & madder then did my thing. It was only after neighbor hearing the gunfire that the police arrived in force.

Funny thing is though, ALL my belongings were taken away as evidence and held in Police storage till the trial a year later before they were returned. Yes all of my stuff, 2 bedrooms, dining room, living room, kitchen & clothes!
Word quickly spread around the neighbor hood about my actions, I was armed, and not afraid to use deadly force.
Burglar bars, steel doors with double deadbolts,[ key needed to open from both sides] were installed.
All was well for about 2 years.

Then IT happened.
I was eating dinner and heard noises in the garage out back.[detached & broad daylight again] Grabbed my pistol and headed out there. There were 2 of them, and I was not in a mood for a peaceful capture. They both saw me, froze for a moment and I began to fire. You have never seen anyone run as fast as when they are dodging bullets. I chased them for 1/2 a block, unloading 6 shots, and let them go, not wanting to hit any bystanders. One thing for sure...I'm a hell of shot, but when adrenaline kicks in, you have a hard time keeping steady aim, probably lucky for them.

The moral of this story:

You can do everything possible to protect your home, but if someone wants your stuff bad enough, they will try to get it.
You cannot control when or how this will happen.
But if you are armed & dangerous it will increase your chance of success 100 fold & sleep peacefully at night.
You must learn how to use a weapon and NOT hesitate for a moment to use it. If you pull it out, you better be prepared to pull the trigger.

Arm yourself and learn how to shoot!

2 days after moving all my furniture & belongings into my new residence, [1985] I opened my front door to find everything stolen......I mean everything. The only item in the entire house was a small cushion from one of my couches, left on the floor & a toothbrush.

They took all the clothes even, and the dog was outside in the backyard. I did not leave him there, they did. This was a broad daylight invasion.

To say I was Pi$$ed off is an understatement. Police were useless, I did my own investigation & found the thieves home only 2 blocks away.[that's another story involving canvasing the neighbor hood myself & offering cash...no questions cash rewards for info.]

Armed with a 45 Glock and a dirty Harry attitude, 2 shots through their front door, and another in the ceiling once inside, after facing off with several assailants, they knew the next one ,was for one of them.[yes I have a carry license ].

They were arrested 2 males, a female, and 2 kids were put in child care. I held them at gunpoint to the police arrived. I did call them before hand, telling I knew for sure where my stuff was BUT was told the case had to handled by detectives and would take at least a week of investigation to get a search warrant. I politely informed them I was headed over there NOW , was armed and would make a citizen arrest.

I waited outside for half an hour, for the police to arrive, getting madder & madder then did my thing. It was only after neighbor hearing the gunfire that the police arrived in force.

Funny thing is though, ALL my belongings were taken away as evidence and held in Police storage till the trial a year later before they were returned. Yes all of my stuff, 2 bedrooms, dining room, living room, kitchen & clothes!
Word quickly spread around the neighbor hood about my actions, I was armed, and not afraid to use deadly force.
Burglar bars, steel doors with double deadbolts,[ key needed to open from both sides] were installed.
All was well for about 2 years.

Then IT happened.
I was eating dinner and heard noises in the garage out back.[detached & broad daylight again] Grabbed my pistol and headed out there. There were 2 of them, and I was not in a mood for a peaceful capture. They both saw me, froze for a moment and I began to fire. You have never seen anyone run as fast as when they are dodging bullets. I chased them for 1/2 a block, unloading 6 shots, and let them go, not wanting to hit any bystanders. One thing for sure...I'm a hell of shot, but when adrenaline kicks in, you have a hard time keeping steady aim, probably lucky for them.

The moral of this story:

You can do everything possible to protect your home, but if someone wants your stuff bad enough, they will try to get it.
You cannot control when or how this will happen.
But if you are armed & dangerous it will increase your chance of success 100 fold & sleep peacefully at night.
You must learn how to use a weapon and NOT hesitate for a moment to use it. If you pull it out, you better be prepared to pull the trigger.

Is that where the phrase "Crazy Jim's gone bananas" came from?

I'm certainly all for a person's right to defend themselves and their property, with deadly force if necessary, but I'm not sure the best advice for someone who feels they are having irrational fears is to tell them to get a gun. Probably the last thing you want is someone creeping through their home with a loaded gun in a state of anxiety about something that probably isn't real. That's how people end up shooting their family members.

I'm with Thirsty on this one.

Opening up with a gun when not being faced with an imminent physical threat is a good way to go to jail yourself, or you may become the target of a lawsuit.

Anyway, to the OP: Cody, it sounds like this fear is significantly impacting your ability to live your life. See a doctor. Sounds like an anxiety disorder to me, but get checked out. Therapy can be very helpful with this kind of thing, and if that doesn't do it, there are lots of medications that can help.

Arming yourself (with suitable safety training etc.) may be part of a solution, but you need to focus on the root cause here.

Good luck!

Marc

Just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean that they aren't out to get you.

I suggest you improve your home security. Better locks and doors, big honking dogs, and a 12 gauge. Having concern for ones safety is normal, having this concern if you a family with you is more normal, but if it is to a point of being harmful the improving the security and possibly seeking help might be good.

Probably everyone has had an experience of being robbed, burglarized or even assaulted at some point in their life. But my experience has been it mostly happens in certain environments where the danger is greater, and you generally have a sense of when that is. Usually, if you know your environment, and you know it to be safe and secure, then you probably are safe. Of course, there is no 100% guarantee, but the likelihood of someone breaking into your home while you are there and harming you are low, especially if your neighborhood is safe and your home has the usual security. If you know you are probably safe, but you are still feeling anxiety that you think is unwarranted, then the question is probably how to deal with the unwarranted anxiety, not how to defend against imaginary intruders.

You want your "spidey sense" to serve you in the right way. So, on the one hand you don't want to ignore your sense of danger and just walk into any kind of hazardous situation without your guard up, but you don't want anxiety giving you a lot of false alarms either.

Is that where the phrase "Crazy Jim's gone bananas" came from?

I'm certainly all for a person's right to defend themselves and their property, with deadly force if necessary, but I'm not sure the best advice for someone who feels they are having irrational fears is to tell them to get a gun. Probably the last thing you want is someone creeping through their home with a loaded gun in a state of anxiety about something that probably isn't real. That's how people end up shooting their family members.

Please note, the first thing I said was..... "Arm yourself and LEARN how to shoot!"..... not go buy a gun and stick it under your pillow.

If one is not versed in firearms use you are correct, it's the worst thing they can do. They could keep a can of mace/pepper spray in the nightstand. Very effective & not deadly.

I guess I'm just an antique....growing up along time ago when you were taught how to shoot, I had a gun in my hands at 8 years old and was a marksman by 10. In my adulthood I would go to the range on Wed & Sunday averaging 300-500 rounds in both 9mm & 45, all at 21 ft. the standard for self defense. I did this for many, many years, learning muscle memory. My sister is a crack shot and winner of many contests as she was on a rifle team for many years. It was just part of growing up in our family, fishing and shooting were taught to all youngsters on all sides of the family.

In this day & age you can take self-defense classes/shooting , held by police & NAR across the country. If you really are in fear of bad things happening you must prepare yourself and NOT depend on others to always come to your rescue. After several months of training, one can feel secure in "knowing what to do" should the occasion arise. Yes....you must invest the time & effort to become "free". It is a skill and all that have good skill sets must practice to become proficient, just as a musician, carpenter, doctor or rocketeer.

Violence & crime have become part of our existence those days, well actually they have always been around, just worse now. At least here in the US you have the choice to do something about it.
Live in fear or protect yourself & your family.

That can also mean something as simple as adding burglar bars to all windows and steel doors with double dead bolts. That alone increases your safety 10 fold and allow the OP some sleep. The typical alarm system is only a deterrent and easily beaten by professionals. Double deadbolts, especially sliding bolt on top & bottom of doors, are pretty hard to beat.

You might get some security ideas from this video... :wink:

[video=youtube;ZbqYIE4Nvy0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbqYIE4Nvy0[/video]

Last edited:
Please note, the first thing I said was..... "Arm yourself and LEARN how to shoot!"..... not go buy a gun and stick it under your pillow.

If one is not versed in firearms use you are correct, it's the worst thing they can do. They could keep a can of mace/pepper spray in the nightstand. Very effective & not deadly.

I guess I'm just an antique....growing up along time ago when you were taught how to shoot, I had a gun in my hands at 8 years old and was a marksman by 10. In my adulthood I would go to the range on Wed & Sunday averaging 300-500 rounds in both 9mm & 45, all at 21 ft. the standard for self defense. I did this for many, many years, learning muscle memory. My sister is a crack shot and winner of many contests as she was on a rifle team for many years. It was just part of growing up in our family, fishing and shooting were taught to all youngsters on all sides of the family.

In this day & age you can take self-defense classes/shooting , held by police & NAR across the country. If you really are in fear of bad things happening you must prepare yourself and NOT depend on others to always come to your rescue. After several months of training, one can feel secure in "knowing what to do" should the occasion arise. Yes....you must invest the time & effort to become "free". It is a skill and all that have good skill sets must practice to become proficient, just as a musician, carpenter, doctor or rocketeer.

Violence & crime have become part of our existence those days, well actually they have always been around, just worse now. At least here in the US you have the choice to do something about it.
Live in fear or protect yourself & your family.

That can also mean something as simple as adding burglar bars to all windows and steel doors with double dead bolts. That alone increases your safety 10 fold and allow the OP some sleep. The typical alarm system is only a deterrent and easily beaten by professionals. Double deadbolts, especially sliding bolt on top & bottom of doors, are pretty hard to beat.

I think we are in danger of going way off topic here, probably into something that will get the thread locked.

My point was that if the OP already knows he's safe when he thinks about the environment and rationally analyzes the risk, and he feels he has a sense of anxiety that is not due to any real danger, then adding more security measures is not likely to change anything. If you know you are safe, but you still feel afraid, then making yourself more safe will not allay the fear. If you live in a low-crime area, and you lock up at night, you are probably safe, and adding bars to your windows, video surveillance, alarms, and a gun don't make you much safer than you already were, and can just add to the sense you are living under siege, when you really aren't.

As John Coker has noted, the crime rates are DOWN contrary to the impression one gets from watching the media reports.

On the other hand, it does sound like you're dealing with some anxiety issues (fight or flight). Nothing wrong with investigating noises around the house...that's just common sense but hinking more specifically that a murderer is hiding in the closet goes beyond common sense.

You should probably talk to someone about your worries.

Stop watching teen horror movies, too.

I used to be paranoid about the possibility of being under surveillance by "the Government". Then, in May of 2005, I get an ominous letter from the U.S. Department of Justice/Office of Consumer Litigation concerning my purchasing habits. Now that I know for sure I sleep like a baby! :wink:

Back