Iphone navigation app to retrieve rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brianwh

Reaction score
I have a BRB 70cm GPS connected to an android tablet with APRSDroid via Moblinkd TNC.

I would like to type the coordinates from APRSDroid into my Iphone and have it guide me to my rocket using the phone's built in GPS. I think APRSDroid gives decimal degrees.

Has anyone found an Iphone app that does this well? I don't really need anything other than what direction to walk and how far.

Thanks!
Brian

I use MotionX on my iPhone- so far no issues, but haven't really had to put it to the test yet!

You can type decimal degrees into the iPhone Maps app that came with your phone. Then choose route and walk using current location as the starting point.

[emoji1010] Steve Shannon [emoji1010]

I also use MotionX (one of the few apps I've paid for :) ). I've used it at least a dozen times so far when tracking rockets, always worked great. I've sometimes forgotten to stop navigating once I've recovered the rocket, which does help drain the phone battery faster. It's also handy for finding the launch site when out on the playa at Black Rock. :)

If you tap the center button at the bottom (between the - and +) enough times you'll get into the mode where it orients the map based on the direction you're moving, which I find a lot easier to make sure I'm still heading on the right bearing than the default (?) view which keeps the map oriented the same way regardless of which way you're moving/facing (which can get really confusing when you're walking south for example).

It lets you enter the coordinates you're navigating to as either degrees / minutes (with decimal minutes for seconds, i.e. 37°19.8537), degrees with decimals for minutes/seconds (i.e. 37.330895) or direct D/M/S (only integer seconds in this final case however, i.e. 37° 19' 51"). All 3 options are on the same screen, so you just enter the data however you got it.

motion X here as well-

19176626370_e86656b241.jpg
19362281821_5b37c60670.jpg

Another great feature of MotionX is the ability to download map grids for offline usage. This is really handy for BALLS held at the Black Rock Desert where cell phone coverage can be nonexistent. It takes a bit of work to figure it out but once you do you can download maps of your recovery area so you don't burn through a lot of data while you are out looking for your rocket.

MotionX also allows you to save your tracks - records of where you've been. This can be very handy if you lose a rocket and are out looking for it. If you can't find it you can save your track so when you go back you don't cover the same area. I've also used it to help me do a grid search by watching my track as I search.

Watch or read some of the tutorials and you'll save yourself some frustration out at the field.

Tony

Latest posts

Back