Interesting!!!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hehehe, I wonder how many people need Wikipedia to finish up term papers that are due next week.

aieeee, we might actually have to use books or something again!! :y::y:

Just heard -Google and many others are going off at midnight--we'll see:y: or, see ya

I was at another website, tropical fish, they are also shutting down tomorrow because of this...

What tropical fish site do you visit? I used to be heavily into that (pre-Internet era, a few BBS sites only). I still keep a few tanks with Angels or African Cichlids but don't currently have time or room for a whole lot. Just curious.

I read on the net today that the SOPA bill was already killed by the whitehouse due to petitions they received.

Just heard -Google and many others are going off at midnight--we'll see:y: or, see ya

Google is staging a protest by putting a black blotch over their logo on the main page, but remaining functional.

I read on the net today that the SOPA bill was already killed by the whitehouse due to petitions they received.

Uh well the White House cannot simply "kill" a bill any time they feel like it, the only time they can actually kill a bill is if the POTUS exercises a veto (and it is upheld), but Obama has "expressed reservations" about the bill and both houses of Congress are getting a $#$#-storm of complaints about it so odds are good it won't pass any time soon except in a significantly revised form.

Last edited:
SOPA and PIPA are serious problems.

You can find good information on both on Ars Technica.

Yep, this is somewhat political, but I'm making an exception for this one. Why? Because this is legislation that can have a fundamental impact on every website you use, including this one, Rocketry Online, Info-Central, Ye Olde Rocketry Forum, and Rocketry Planet.

MPAA and RIAA want this legislation, and they want it badly. Yet it gives them increased power to shut down sites, without going through the courts. Do a bit of research on how they've already horribly abused the powers they have under DMCA, and think hard about whether or not you want them to have even more power.

I seriously considered taking this site offline for the day, in protest of this legislation.

-Kevin

SOPA and PIPA are serious problems.

You can find good information on both on Ars Technica.

Yep, this is somewhat political, but I'm making an exception for this one. Why? Because this is legislation that can have a fundamental impact on every website you use, including this one, Rocketry Online, Info-Central, Ye Olde Rocketry Forum, and Rocketry Planet.

MPAA and RIAA want this legislation, and they want it badly. Yet it gives them increased power to shut down sites, without going through the courts. Do a bit of research on how they've already horribly abused the powers they have under DMCA, and think hard about whether or not you want them to have even more power.

I seriously considered taking this site offline for the day, in protest of this legislation.

-Kevin

Kevin,

I would have been very happy to support taking the site offline for a day to help educate everyone on this topic. I am very happy that you choose to allow "politics" to be permitted on this topic and for sharing the Ars Technica link to help educate our friends here.

Those of you who don't know what SOPA and PIPA are about the Ars Article is very good. Take a minute to see what your elected officials have proposed to implement as a solution to a very complex issue.

Jason

I am partial to this one: https://theoatmeal.com/sopa but yours is a little bit more "real world".

Again, thanks to you and everyone else for speaking up on this one.

Jason

That was fantastic, but how's this for real world?
I don't understand the instructions that came with my new Estes kit.(gasp) So I take a picture of the instruction sheet (copyrighted by Estes) and post it here to ask for advice. Estes could now have this site blocked through no fault of the site's owners or affiliates, because of one user. Sure we could get a few mods here to approve our few pictures before they actually appear on the site, but are you ready to pay facebook and youtube to employ armies of mods to approve every piece of content their users upload, just to keep their sites opperational?

That was fantastic, but how's this for real world?
I don't understand the instructions that came with my new Estes kit.(gasp) So I take a picture of the instruction sheet (copyrighted by Estes) and post it here to ask for advice. Estes could now have this site blocked through no fault of the site's owners or affiliates, because of one user. Sure we could get a few mods here to approve our few pictures before they actually appear on the site, but are you ready to pay facebook and youtube to employ armies of mods to approve every piece of content their users upload, just to keep their sites opperational?

More important, there are already numerous well-documented cases of Big Content issuing DMCA takedown notices for content they don't own. Let's say they issue a bogus notice against this site -- do you honestly think the site has the financial resources to fight that notice in court? Because it's Guilty Until Proven Innocent with that legislation, which means the site disappears.

-Kevin

Back