Interesting TLP kits

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stymye

Reaction score
I was digging thru my TLP collection and pulled a few out to show that, These originals did not have the title "Midpower" on the card face.

also of interest, note the laser cut centering rings,all the oldie originals include them

Just thought the TLP nuts would get a kick out of seeing some old originals.
I also have some transitional period that were still the old colored facecard but did have the "Midpower" claim added.

so TLP kits posted in the Low power Forum

old tlp.jpg

old tlp rings.jpg

Last edited:
That`s the first time I have ever seen the original packaging.

How old are those kits ?

I look forward to having a look at your TLP stash ,still a few i don`t have (Anubis is one of them ;))

Paul T

I have no idea of the age , TLP started in 1992
early 90's I would guess on the pre-midpower kits..so these are potentially 20 years old or less

I have no idea of the age , TLP started in 1992
early 90's I would guess on the pre-midpower kits..so these are potentially 20 years old
And to think I just started buying them 2 years ago !

Paul T

Back when TLP started was Mid Power even in the model rocketry lexicon? Back in the Dark Age 1990's? The older guy I know who doesn't think they are mid power kits was surprised to see the newer face cards with the underlined Mid Power claim on them. He said just because they print Mid Power on the face card doesn't change the fact that they are just glorified, thin tubed LPR junk. Well, then it was time to fly the Matra - Do you believe in Magic - on one of those fancy SU E30s. Then they thought I was putting in higher than recommended motors, but I said NO - they will now fly on F's - just read the face card and weep! At that time I was the only TLP flier at the launch, just having bought a bunch from a vendor going out of business, so I had to stick up for them. A few months later there were several guys at the launch flying TLP.

Now I guess I could be like Sid on Toy Story and say:”Where are you PML friends now?” but that would be cruel to TLP Haters, the few there are. Then LOC, with their thick walled paper tubes, comes out with the Pig on the rocket add with the big dollars burning out the nozzle, making the TLP mid power argument seem even sillier than it already was.

In my eyes,they are model rockets capable of flying on midpower motors .Just like many estes kits.
the contents of the rockets I posted differ in no way from the same exact ones labeled "midpower" today.
If they were not labeled midpower people would still put bigger motors in them and beef them up, but at least the complaints that they are "midpower junk"and comparisons to FG and ply midpower kits would go away.
that seems to be the main complaint about TLP kits.

the larger TLP kits that do require 4 x D clusters I can understand those as being labeled differently

Last edited:
That`s the first time I have ever seen the original packaging.

How old are those kits ?

I look forward to having a look at your TLP stash ,still a few i don`t have (Anubis is one of them ;))

Paul T

The Anubis was my first TLP kit. I loved that thing, but lost it on the first flight :(. Too small of a field for the D.

Back