Insane Projects

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool, do you have any pictures of it with primer on? I am a big fan of grey :)

Er, no. Besides, if you're a big fan of grey, you wouldn't like it... We used white implement paint as the "primer". :)

Once it's painted, I'll get some pictures. Air Show will be a great opportunity for that, as we're putting it on display.

-Kevin

Right on. I showed the kids the pictures, they're wondering when their dad's going to build one. I am not sure whether to thank you or not at this point :D

Whoa, what's wrong with this picture?! It's a full two weeks from when we need to leave for LDRS, and we're not scrambling to get everything done! That's a new experience for us.

Anywho, today the base coat of paint was applied.

I won't reveal the final paint plans, but suffice to say I think everyone will enjoy them. :)

-Kevin

There is something definitely wrong if we're not scrambling like mad at the last minute! Are you forgetting something?

Nate

There is something definitely wrong if we're not scrambling like mad at the last minute! Are you forgetting something?

No kidding!

Greg and I were talking about that today, and Matt and I were discussing it on Tuesday.

There's just something wrong that we go so much done so bloody early!

-Kevin

Painting is done. Waiting for the Grand Reveal at the Air Show this weekend.

:)

-Kevin

Pictures? You want pictures?

Here's a rocketry picture from our AirShow display!

-Kevin

IMG_20110827_130811.jpg

We came, we put it on the pad, we launched it, we recovered it....in pieces.

A bit of a motor anomaly with the P motor -- Pat did some forensics at the field, after recovering the pieces, and determined that the threads on the closures were cut too deep, creating a weak point in the case. Stuff happens.

The important thing? We proved the safety code works -- the lower section of the rocket was turned into confetti, and the boosters were trashed. However, everything landed relatively close to the pad, nobody was hurt, nobody was at risk of getting hurt.

Stuff happens; sometimes it's bad stuff, usually it's good stuff.

Are we concerned about our source of motors? Let me put it this way -- Pat is bringing me a motor for BALLS, and my only concern is that he'll rip the fins off the rocket due to vertical velocity!

-Kevin

So Kevin, was this the "fireworks flight"? If so, it was about the coolest CATO I have ever seen, if not, then I'm curious who's that was (off the 80's pads I think).

We came, we put it on the pad, we launched it, we recovered it....in pieces.

A bit of a motor anomaly with the P motor -- Pat did some forensics at the field, after recovering the pieces, and determined that the threads on the closures were cut too deep, creating a weak point in the case. Stuff happens.

The important thing? We proved the safety code works -- the lower section of the rocket was turned into confetti, and the boosters were trashed. However, everything landed relatively close to the pad, nobody was hurt, nobody was at risk of getting hurt.

Stuff happens; sometimes it's bad stuff, usually it's good stuff.

Are we concerned about our source of motors? Let me put it this way -- Pat is bringing me a motor for BALLS, and my only concern is that he'll rip the fins off the rocket due to vertical velocity!

-Kevin

So Kevin, was this the "fireworks flight"? If so, it was about the coolest CATO I have ever seen, if not, then I'm curious who's that was (off the 80's pads I think).

You mean the one that looked like an aerial shell, with burning propellant coming down?

That was us.

We were actually beyond the 80s pads -- after our experience with jamming up the range with the original Delta flight, we always ask for an away-away spot for our big projects. That way, we can spend the time we need, without causing issues for the host club.

-Kevin

You mean the one that looked like an aerial shell, with burning propellant coming down?

That was us.

We were actually beyond the 80s pads -- after our experience with jamming up the range with the original Delta flight, we always ask for an away-away spot for our big projects. That way, we can spend the time we need, without causing issues for the host club.

-Kevin

Kevin,
I think that if the science channel needed something for the show, you delivered. It was awesome regardless the outcome.

Thanks for the help this week. we will see you soon.

John

Yeah, we sure gave them something spectacular.

Just not what we planned.

For the first two seconds, though, that motor was kicking butt and taking names!

-Kevin

Kevin - Once I get the video we shot of you flight I will send it to you. I am sure that you have a lot of pics and vids but one more shouldnt hurt!

It was great to see you and hope you have a safe trip home!

That's the attitude you have to have. When we were hot-n-heavy racing sports cars we would always put the gorilla motors (17.1 comp) in for the big, high speed tracks like Road America. Sometimes they'd live through the whole weekend to be tore down and gone through for the next big track and sometimes we'd be oiling the straight due to the grapefruit size hole in the block. Go big or go home gets expensive bit as long as you have a good attitude, it's still fun.

It would have been the most spectacular flight of LDRS but it turned out to be (sorry to say) the best CATO!

Thanks to Ray LaPanse, here are some photos of our rocket confetti...

We knew the boosters weren't going to light -- at the last minute, the sequencers started giving us difficulties, so we didn't expect them to ignite. It ended up being a good thing, as it prevented us from having L motors squirreling around on their own!

-Kevin

sr1.jpg

sr2.jpg

sr3.jpg

sr4.jpg

sr5.jpg

For those not there, it actually even got better than that last picture. In another split second (or maybe it's below and/or outside the frame of that picture) at least a dozen flaming fireballs of propellant dispersed leaving heavy smoke trails behind them (unless I am thinking of another CATO, but surely not).

Last edited:
Thanks to Ray LaPanse, here are some photos of our rocket confetti...

We knew the boosters weren't going to light -- at the last minute, the sequencers started giving us difficulties, so we didn't expect them to ignite. It ended up being a good thing, as it prevented us from having L motors squirreling around on their own!

-Kevin

My camera's not nearly as good as Ray's, but I like my timing on the second photo a little better. Luck 'o the motor drive.

YAY! Great pictures!! Wow... Must have been interesting to see that in person! :eek:

My camera's not nearly as good as Ray's, but I like my timing on the second photo a little better. Luck 'o the motor drive.

Dude! That second picture is awesome!

Would you mind sending me the original, so I can share it with the group?

-Kevin

And this is what a rocket dork from Michigan and a Texan looks like standing behind 6" casing after that cato...

IMG_1772a.JPG

Back