Initiator Build Question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erik

Reaction score
I decided that the Initiator would be a good first mid-power rocket and the kit looks great. I started building (my first kit using CA glue). As I was putting the lower fin-lock ring in place, it slid way too low. It is only a quarter of an inch or so from the bottom of the motor tube, way too low to engage the fins as it should. I tried and tried, but the glue set too fast and I couldn't move it into place. I still have the glue all over my fingers to show for my efforts. Fortunately I didn't actually glue myself together or myself to the rocket, but it was close for a minute there. Anyway, now I have that fin ring in the wrong place. What the heck do I do now? Can I try to use a solvent to loosen it and then reposition? Thanks!!

--Erik

Erik, that sucks. Let us know how it goes and once you get it together correctly please give us any advice that you think might help to put the kit together correctly the first time. I have an initiator sitting on the shelf waiting to be built. I am more than a little nervous about using CA.

(my first kit using CA glue) --Erik

With thin CA, you position the parts and then apply the CA which is totally different than what you do with any other glue. With the medium CA, you can apply glue and then position parts, but you have to be really fast.

Erik, that sucks. Let us know how it goes and once you get it together correctly please give us any advice that you think might help to put the kit together correctly the first time. I have an initiator sitting on the shelf waiting to be built. I am more than a little nervous about using CA.

I think the best advice might be to read the instructions. Using CA is different than using other types of adhesive. Eric missed one bold line in the instructions on the fin-loc system that may have saved him a lot of trouble and I quote:

NOTE: FROM THIS POINT ON, DO NOT USE ANY
CEMENT UNTIL REACHING ASSEMBLY STEP 5.

I don't always follow directions, even on a project that offers new assembly processes, but I do usually read them.

The debonder will work on the CA as will fingernail polish remover(acetone). You mat need to let it soak for a bit.

Make sure you get all surfaces that are to eventually be glued clean afterwards or the glue joints may be compromised if there is debonder residue.

I have built all of the Aerotech kits at one time or another and the fin loc system works better than most. Don't be afraid to try it. Just read and follow the directions.

Don't feel bad Eric. Been there done that.

I think the best advice might be to read the instructions. Using CA is different than using other types of adhesive. Eric missed one bold line in the instructions on the fin-loc system that may have saved him a lot of trouble and I quote:

NOTE: FROM THIS POINT ON, DO NOT USE ANY
CEMENT UNTIL REACHING ASSEMBLY STEP 5.

I don't always follow directions, even on a project that offers new assembly processes, but I do usually read them.

Uh yeah... I guess I missed that. :bang: Thanks for the advice. I did read the directions, but haste makes waste. I was so used to using white glue on all of my previous models. I dove right in on this one and tried to use the CA in a similar way as the white glue. That was really a mess.

Che, don't be too intimidated by the Initiator. The kit is really simple to build (provided you don't screw up the glue). Let me reiterate my lesson learned here. Take your time and read the instructions. The actual construction is very simple. Good luck.

I am off to the store for some acetone. I'll let you all know how the debonding goes.

Thanks for the friendly advice from everyone!

--Erik

The Initiator was my first mid-power too. I watched the build videos from Apogee while I did mine. That company has so many great written and video sources.

If you can't get the parts separated, you can obtain another motor mount from a2zhobbies.

Thanks to the acetone, I was able to get the fin ring separated. I used a paintbrush from my kid's watercolor set. It had nice long brushes that held the acetone. I dipped in and put it around the fin ring. The acetone wicked right in and after a minute or two, I was able to get the parts separated. It was not really pretty, but it's done.

--Erik

Thanks to the acetone, I was able to get the fin ring separated. I used a paintbrush from my kid's watercolor set. It had nice long brushes that held the acetone. I dipped in and put it around the fin ring. The acetone wicked right in and after a minute or two, I was able to get the parts separated. It was not really pretty, but it's done.

--Erik

If that had not worked, you could have conatacted Gary at Aerotech and he could have sold you a laser to burn it apart. :wink: :D

Latest posts

Back