If you fly rods and mini rails, technique to keep your launch rod straight

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BABAR

Builds Rockets for NASA
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Usually at the end of a launch, I'm hot and tired and just want to chuck things into the trunk of the car. I found my 1/8" rod fits pretty will into the side slots of the mini-rail.. Probably would also go down the middle as well. I put some pink tape on it so I can REMEMBER where I put it when I go for my NEXT launch.20200619_101014.jpg20200619_101014.jpg20200619_101027.jpg20200619_101055.jpg20200619_101206.jpg

If you have a micro rail it works too. Added benefit is that it fits tightly. Depending on your pad setup (I use a homemade PVC pad with a drill chuck and a flower pot blast deflector) you can switch from rod to rail by simply sliding the rail over the rod. Hole in the flower pot keeps it rigid. Five second switch over.

If you have a micro rail it works too. Added benefit is that it fits tightly. Depending on your pad setup (I use a homemade PVC pad with a drill chuck and a flower pot blast deflector) you can switch from rod to rail by simply sliding the rail over the rod. Hole in the flower pot keeps it rigid. Five second switch over.
Good point. Have any problems with “waggle” of the rail on the rod at the base? Or is that what the flower pot hole does?

Flower pot keeps it rigid. Hole was a little bit too small when I first got the rail, so I squared it up a little with a file. Now when I slide the rail onto the rod and into the pot it engages the corners and locks the whole thing up tightly. No rod waggle.

Is there a HOWTO or thing I can read on how rails and mini-rails work, and how they differ in setup and use from launch rods?

Back