3D Printing 1010 Rail Buttons/Launch Lug Combo

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very cool idea! Do you print it standing up? Supposedly that would make it stronger because you're not pulling layers apart?

What are you using for attachment through those teeny holes?

Oliver

Thanks, Oliver. I printed them laying down, making the layers verticle so they wouldn't tear off (and removed the need for supports). We used JB Weld epoxy to hold them on. The holes are designed for the epoxy to squeeze up though, making a better bond interface. I have no idea if this is practical or not since I am new to launching off the rail. I typically screw and glue my buttons on and I haven't had any issues but we'll have to see where this goes. I would only put this on MPR like a Big Red Max or similar. Just like everything else I do in rocketry, I plan, design, then send it (hoping it doesn't catch on fire).

Today, I finished my Balerion scratch rocket with rail buttons. Just have to throw the chute on it tomorrow. I also helped my 16-yr old son prep his BRM, "Imperial Max". He's been gone for the last 4 days, and way behind so I threw some paint and decals on it. He was overjoyed. We'll be testing the new camera mount tomorrow as well. I went to HobbyTown and spent waaaaay too much on motors, and bought my 11-yr old an Estes Blue Origin.

The family is pilgrimaging to Hartsel, Colorado for the Colorado Tripoli launch. Ah yes. Trapped in a car for 5 hrs with the family. If I stop posting, you know I ran down the street for a pack of smokes and some Scratchers... 😜

imperial_max.jpg

Today, I finished my Balerion scratch rocket with rail buttons. Just have to throw the chute on it tomorrow. I also helped my 16-yr old son prep his BRM, "Imperial Max". He's been gone for the last 4 days, and way behind so I threw some paint and decals on it. He was overjoyed. We'll be testing the new camera mount tomorrow as well. I went to HobbyTown and spent waaaaay too much on motors, and bought my 11-yr old an Estes Blue Origin.

The family is pilgrimaging to Hartsel, Colorado for the Colorado Tripoli launch. Ah yes. Trapped in a car for 5 hrs with the family. If I stop posting, you know I ran down the street for a pack of smokes and some Scratchers... 😜

View attachment 593494
Thats awesome! I really need a 3D printer myself to make those lugs...

Thank you. It really opened up an entirely new world of rocketry for me. There is a Microcenter just north of Philly. If you're in the city, you might think about swinging in there and chatting with someone. They are pretty helpful. You can also ask questions here. Good Luck!

I built this for my son, but it turned out not too bad. Going to test it this weekend. Fits either a 1/4" rod or a 1010 rail. We shall see...

The model file can be found here: https://www.printables.com/model/532794-1010-conformal-launch-lug-and-rail-buttonlaunch-lu

View attachment 593263
My son tested the lug-only variant on his Estes Olympus. They worked great. I will be testing the Lug/Button combo as soon as I build something that is appropriate for either.

The holes are designed for the epoxy to squeeze up though, making a better bond interface.
James Cramton at RocketryWorks was making both centering rings and launch lugs with holes like so that 3D printed parts could be glued with just wood glue in his Socrates beginner model kit. I'm going to miss RocketryWorks.

And that combo lug/rail guide is a neat idea!

James Cramton at RocketryWorks was making both centering rings and launch lugs with holes like so that 3D printed parts could be glued with just wood glue in his Socrates beginner model kit. I'm going to miss RocketryWorks.

And that combo lug/rail guide is a neat idea!
Those are pretty nice. He should post them for others to print.

Back