Dual purpose for 1/4" launch lugs?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I remembered reading that a few decades ago Estes sold a C rail whose channel could accommodate a 1/8" (I think) launch lug on a dowel standoff.
So I grabbed some launch lugs and a 1010 rail and started mucking around.
3/16" lugs are too narrow, they come out of the front opening of the channel.
1/4" paper lugs are too wide, they don't fit in the channel.
But 1/4" glassine lugs fit perfectly.
Narrow enough to easily slide in the channel but wide enough not to come out of the opening.
0721231332[1].jpg

This would facilitate one launch guide solution that would enable launching from both a rod or a rail, depending on availability.
So has anyone tried using 1/4" luglets on standoffs instead of rail buttons?

I remembered reading that a few decades ago Estes sold a C rail whose channel could accommodate a 1/8" (I think) launch lug on a dowel standoff.
So I grabbed some launch lugs and a 1010 rail and started mucking around.
3/16" lugs are too narrow, they come out of the front opening of the channel.
1/4" paper lugs are too wide, they don't fit in the channel.
But 1/4" glassine lugs fit perfectly.
Narrow enough to easily slide in the channel but wide enough not to come out of the opening.
View attachment 593288

This would facilitate one launch guide solution that would enable launching from both a rod or a rail, depending on availability.
So has anyone tried using 1/4" luglets on standoffs instead of rail buttons?
Okay, I did a google search (maybe not deep, but did it non-the-less)

got this

https://barkonsult.se/collections/glassine-straws
converting Swedish to American currency, over 15$ for a 200 mm straw, didn’t bother to calculate shipping but guessing transatlantic won’t be cheap.

you got an angle on a local source?

if available locally at a reasonable price, the only downside I see may simply be my lack of experience.

this will need a narrow standoff and epoxy, and not much space for fillets. How durable would the attachment be?

I like the micro and mini rail buttons and the rails I found that they fit in.

I found the micro does not like the black "Maker rails" as the quality control on their Straightness causes them to hang up if the one you got on Amazon is warped slightly.

I found a 4pack of thicker Silver colored AL rails for the Micro buttons was $44, about $11 per rail that were long enough. The extra thickness of the rail kept them from warping.

If I am at a club launch I just set my micro or mini rail pad next to pad six on the rack and use pad 6's launch leads.

Mini Buttons work well on rockets BT-60 and larger, but if only 3 fined you can fit them on BT-55/56 as well.

https://www.erockets.biz/semroc-launch-lug-variety-pack-12pk-sem-ll-100/There may be others.
Confirm before ordering.
Their 1/4" lugs sold separately appear to be paper.

Only one way to find out.
I'll do some test launches when I can.
Depending On how many flights you do on a single rocket, I wonder if there may be a bit more frictional wear on the lug when flown off a rail. be interested to see how your tests come out.

somebody had come out with an adapter that fit INTO an existing launch lug that added EXTERNAL rail buttons, can’t remember who it was. I thought about that problem a bit. I think could be done pretty easily with a 3D printer, might ideally be made rocket tube diameter specific. Also probably wouldn’t work for builds where the lug is cradled in the fin/rocket body angle/fillet. That’s my favorite location.

Back