I need a VERY dark gray spray paint....

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Green Jello

Reaction score
I'm looking for a gray (either gloss or flat) that is REALLY dark. I've looked at the "Dark Gray" from both Rustoleum and Krylon and they aren't deep enough. Not sure if Valspar has one, but I'll never use that garbage again. Anyone know of one?

PT2X_12oz_GlossDrkGry_L.jpg

I used a dark grey automotive primer on my Extreme Darkstar. It was very dark, and looked really cool. I kept it like that for a while, actually. When I get home from work tomorrow morning, I'll take a look at the brand.

331242_10150305031024354_68592020_o.jpg

333113_10150305032039354_2018443917_o.jpg

Have you been to the auto parts stores and looked at the automotive spray paint colors? If your town or city is big enough there is probably a paint and body supply house (we have a Sherwin -Williams Automotive Paints in Fort Collins) and they will have every shade of grey ever put on a car or can mix it for you. Reno/Sparks should have something. Of course if they have to mix it for you then you will need a spray gun. But you should be able to find a dark storm gray or battleship grey in a spray can at the auto parts. I hope this helps.

Have you been to the auto parts stores and looked at the automotive spray paint colors? If your town or city is big enough there is probably a paint and body supply house (we have a Sherwin -Williams Automotive Paints in Fort Collins) and they will have every shade of grey ever put on a car or can mix it for you. Reno/Sparks should have something. Of course if they have to mix it for you then you will need a spray gun. But you should be able to find a dark storm gray or battleship grey in a spray can at the auto parts. I hope this helps.

Yeah, I'm sure auto paint would be the way to go, but I don't own a spray gun or the knowledge to use one. I'd rather find a rattle can if I can. I think maybe I'll try Michaels. They have a line of "art" paints that come in lots of colors.

In the past ,I have primed models using Krylon grey primer and liked the way it looked so much, that I left it as the final color. It is a charcoal grey like the pic above of Rocketman's Darkstar.

Yeah, the gray above looks very similar to the "Dark Gray" colors from different brands. That isn't dark enough though. I'd need it in between that and black.

You can purchase rattle cans of all the major automotive colors by year of the manufacturere of your choice at the autoparts stores. Normally the busier the store, the better the selection. Automotive acrylic enamels are hard and give you a great finish with practice. It does depend on the size of the bird. If it is very big, then I would find a body shop that will paint it for you or you head for Harbor Freight and get the gear. I do not recommend this solution unless you think you are going to do a lot of painting. There is a learning curve with spray rigs that can be frustrating and expensive.

Don't HAVE to have a spray gun... the auto parts stores sell "Preval" sprayers... (sorta like a cross between a spray gun and a rattle can... has it's own propellant).

later! OL JR :)

Have you checked out your local hobby shop that carries the Model Master line?

I have seen that paint in every grey known. From light almost white to dark almost black. Usually are for military models and such. I like this line of paint for rocket work. Get better results, I can find the exact color I want not just what Krylon or Rusto might have.

And it dries quicker and is easier to handle with the smaller can. Yea it is a bit pricey, but if you want results over quantity, give the Model Master a try.

They even have cool metal colors like stainless steel and aluminum that when dry you can buff them to a really nice sheen. Almost looks as good as the real thing. Then use a metalizer sealer to keep that sheen.

These were painted with the Model Master paints, nose cones are the stainless steel metalizer.

See ya,
Rod

Attachments

• Lil' Grunt & Kleinen Gruntzen.jpg
    Lil' Grunt & Kleinen Gruntzen.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
Just go with a matte black. In most light it will absorb enough light to look like dark grey.

Have you checked out your local hobby shop that carries the Model Master line?

I have seen that paint in every grey known. From light almost white to dark almost black. Usually are for military models and such. I like this line of paint for rocket work. Get better results, I can find the exact color I want not just what Krylon or Rusto might have.

And it dries quicker and is easier to handle with the smaller can. Yea it is a bit pricey, but if you want results over quantity, give the Model Master a try.

They even have cool metal colors like stainless steel and aluminum that when dry you can buff them to a really nice sheen. Almost looks as good as the real thing. Then use a metalizer sealer to keep that sheen.

These were painted with the Model Master paints, nose cones are the stainless steel metalizer.

See ya,
Rod

I thought of that, but it doesn't appear to be the case:

https://www.testors.com/category/573120/Spray_Paints

The main problem is, I don't have a local hobby store. They don't exist anymore in Reno. It's hardware stores, or Michael's here if I don't want to buy online.

Check out Duplicolor Sandable Primer at your local auto parts store. It comes in a rattle can in both regular and high build versions and there is a very dark grey color. I think this is what Nick mentioned in post #2. Just be aware this is a lacquer, not an enamel. I don't remember the rules, but I think putting lacquer over enamel is a no-no.

I shot so many different primer coats on my level 3 project, I was thinking of calling it '50 Shades of Grey'.

Ultimate Wildman named "High Anxiety".  Ready-to-fly weight without motor - 36 pounds.  I'm shoo.jpg

Last edited:
Oh cool. In the pic Nick posted it didn't look that dark, but it sure does in yours. Thanks, I'll check that out.

Also, I went to Michael's today and found a super dark one in their line of artists spray paints. But after spending 10 minutes trying to find someone to open the locked cage and I saw the checkout line all the way to the back of the store, I left.

Are you looking for a "military" gray? Here is the Rustoleum automotive primer with a clear coat over.

PF2.jpg

Back