I need a name!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree...

I'm looking for a name that will go with a very nice diamond plate vinyl I found. Maybe running with scissors would fit with chrome...

Yep, that's the lineup. I200, H268, H250, H55, possibly H180 or 97 if the field is too small. Now, which one to pick for NSL...

For NSL? Go with the 268 :)

There's just something about a 4 foot red flame from an H motor, as well as the incredible liftoff thrust.

While I appreciate and support your efforts to acknowledge previous work (of geniuses? maniacs?), and it is indeed a name that would be hard to live up to, I also doubt that the Vatsaas crew would want anyone to think that this name is now so incredibly sacred that it may never never never be used again. (Shades of: TRFKAB)

That name is just too good to pass up. If a local TV crew is at the launch, that name on the side (plus a worthy paint job) could get your rocket onto the 10-oclock news. How about 'Running With Scissors II' or something on that line? (Which also sort of vaguely implies some kind of failure/disaster with 'R-W-S 1')

I laughed out loud when I first come across that rocket name on their website...they are truly have a great attitude towards rocketry!

For NSL? Go with the 268 :)

There's just something about a 4 foot red flame from an H motor, as well as the incredible liftoff thrust.

LOL, yeah, the 268 sims to 5000' and something around .9 mach!:eek:

I'm pretty sure Bong will be big enough for a nice, water/tree free landing. Just gotta get it past that first ring of trees and lakes I found on Google Earth.

The 268 Is incredibly loud too, time to scare some babies! ;)

I weighed it yesterday, 1.433 pounds without a motor casing or paint.

WAY lighter than I expected! :)

I like to turn to the music world when hunting names for some of my rockets. How about a name from one of my favorite AC/DC songs, "Thunderstruck"?

David

I like to turn to the music world when hunting names for some of my rockets. How about a name from one of my favorite AC/DC songs, "Thunderstruck"?

David

The paint for the PML Thunder n' Lightning upper stage comes to mind. That would be awesome!

• Haiku (with an extra serving of 'high')
  • Mile Haiku

Fly high in the sky
Go a mile above the ground
Good luck getting back

Longdart
Adrenaline Rush
Mostly Harmful
Achoo!
Sneeze
of the Great Green Arkleseizure
Skyspasm
Martini Olive Spike of the Mile High Club Lounge
Slippery Whipple
Don't Blink
Earthly Repulsion
HEADS UP!!
Someone Else's Problem
Leap of Faith
Slam-Drunk
SSSSSSSSSSSSSmile
Bring a Shovel
Therapy
Call 911
Don't Panic! ( in big friendly colored letters)
Missile-AkneeUS
Kiss the Sky
Wreck Less Endangerment (or Abandon)
Sword of Damadman
Spur Of The Moment...Ummm...
Nuttin' Honey
Bat outta Hell
Rude Awakening
Potty Training
Exit Pole
Poll Dancing
Fruit of the Loon
Smoking Gone
Off my Rocker
Santa Slayer

Last edited:
Sky.net
Atomic Rocker
Positron
Inferno
Atomic Weezel
Phantom 77
Thirsty Duck
Mynx

How bout any of the moons are planets:
Sycorax
Nyx
Iapetus
Telesto
Oberon
Cressida

OK, so you have tons of choices. Pick a name and go with it already!:rolleyes:

I took a quick look at the rocket picture and it reminded me of a sword, so how about SCIMITAR; in French CIMETERRE (15th century); in Italian SCIMITARRA. The rocket has no curved edges like the sword but I think the name is cool.

Now that you have plenty to choose, Go for it!!!

So many awesome names to choose from, only one rocket!

Maybe I should set up a poll with my favorites and have you guys choose, they're all great! :)

That name is just too good to pass up. If a local TV crew is at the launch, that name on the side (plus a worthy paint job) could get your rocket onto the 10-oclock news.

The rocket actually did make it into the news when it was in primer.:roll:

I'm working on the worthy PJ now, I have masks ordered from Stickershock and Duplicolor paint (with the Effex Clear Coat). I'm almost done with the sanding, and the first coat of paint should go on next week, hopefully with good results. I'll post my paint preview of what the rocket should look like (It'll have different lettering). Pics of the finished rocket should come in awhile.

running with scissors.jpg

Last edited:
Neoglassice Starlet
Neoglassice Ingénue

Just two suggestions based off the name it's upscaled from and the fiberglass material

Trudy
PemTech Art Department and Mangler of Proper Nouns

How about "Echo Tango" (ET)?

Some names of ones I have in the works or built:

Plan 9 (or "Cluster F" if it crashes on 1st flight) - BT-80: center 24mm with 4 18mm pods
Nikish Ajax - BT-55 2 stage: D12-0/E9-6 using Centuri staging method
BSAM (Blueberry Sunshine Antimatter Munition) - BT-70 military look single stage 24mm

Photos to follow later in different thread.

Last edited:
Neoglassice Starlet
Neoglassice Ingénue

Just two suggestions based off the name it's upscaled from and the fiberglass material

Trudy
PemTech Art Department and Mangler of Proper Nouns

Good suggestions.

The rocket isn't an upscale of anything. The original "inspiration" for the fin pattern came from one of the old banners on Rocketry Planet (since removed). I found a build thread of the rocket in the banner, and I think it said it was called the Knight, made by Estes. It had (or was modified to have) a cluster of 2 D12s. I've been looking for a picture of that rocket, just to show how much different the two rockets are. I think the only part of the original design I kept was the front fins.

My daughter thinks "Do Do Bird" would be a good name by the way...Just in case you are interested.

;)

-DAllen

After several months, I have finally come up with a come-back for this post. (I know, sad)

My Do Do Bird beat your rocket in the duration contest! :neener:

Hmmmm.... Poll Dancing.... That gives me an idea. Take my AT Mirage kit, add some sort of round nose, glossy gold paint, and name it Pole Dancing!

Back