I am out of ideas.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This looks a lot like a "tank dip" I saw a model race car hobbiest do once. I am not sure really what it is called. He had a vat full of liquid with a paint film on top. He dipped the car in it and it came out looking like this. I know nothing else about it. It blew me away.

Last edited:
I've done it with my daughter's 2.6" Mach 1 Area 51. I purchased a paint film and the release spray from liquidconcepts.com. I had to build my own "tank" using 2x4's and a tarp. It worked ok, but getting the paint skin around the fins was problematic. Regardless, it was a fun project, and it gave the rocket a cool look.
IMG_0378.jpegIMG_0379.jpegIMG_0375.jpegIMG_0374.jpeg

Have new rocket, need paint scheme. Not looking to copy anyone's but I need a little inspiration. So if you have time, pics please.
What's your favorite snack? For example, if you like candy bars, you could reproduce a "Three Musketeers" or a "Milky Way" candy bar wrapper finish on your rocket? An Oreo cookie scheme would also be amazing...

This was 100% done in paint with blue painters tape, and aside from the mouth and eyes, wasn't too terrible to do
That reminds me of a V2 one of my club members has, a striking paint job. This is the best photo I have of it. They did the pattern with masking tape then outlined the individual patterns with Sharpie pen which I think adds a lot to the design when viewed up close.
DSC_2620r.jpg

Last edited:
Not a Van Halen fan per se but, Eddie's Frankenstrat and Bumblebee guitars are interesting designs (I've paintedrockets with both patterns). Here is a recent take that I'm considering for a LOC VII build for what it's worth:

View attachment 553378
The red/white/black paint job is interesting. I was following this guy's channel for awhile getting tips on painting and he did a similar paint job. If you search for "paint van halen guitar" you can find other videos including someone that painted a car in that scheme.

Maybe OT, but I do you have any launch photos of it from your Dec 4th launch?

I don't think I have any from that day, but a guy was taking pictures right before I hung it in a tree the other day. I'll see if I can get some from him.

I want to thank everyone that sent in pics and ideas. Here is what I have so far. I'm gonna name her either "Great White" or "Shark Fin Soup"

Mark at Stickershock did the mouth for me and my wife cut the gills.

Attachments

• great white 001.JPG
    great white 001.JPG
    847 KB · Views: 0
  • great white 003.JPG
    great white 003.JPG
    606.6 KB · Views: 0
I want to thank everyone that sent in pics and ideas. Here is what I have so far. I'm gonna name her either "Great White" or "Shark Fin Soup"

Mark at Stickershock did the mouth for me and my wife cut the gills.
Here is my rocket collection from 1966. I had 2 painted with shark theme.
1673146034033.png

Back