How to find frictional and pressure induced drag on a rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mach3.0

Reaction score
Trying to calculate the max weight my rocket can carry and still get to a mile high, but I need to be able to create a force vector for drag so I can figure it out. And ideas?

The traditional and most reliable way is to measure the drag in an instrumented wind tunnel.

in fact, the wind tunnel work is already done, for conventional shapes, up to Mach 2. Its called DATCOM. it has some warts (underestimates drag of conical noses). but it is already incorporated in to Rocksim and Open Rocket.

Trying to calculate the max weight my rocket can carry and still get to a mile high, but I need to be able to create a force vector for drag so I can figure it out. And ideas?

make a weight accurate and finish accurate simulation of your vehicle in Open Rocket. Adjust the atmospherics in the sim to be exactly as at your launch site. Fly the rocket, compare actual altitude (barometric) vs simulated altitude. Override the simulation Cd to match.

there, calibrated simulation with exact drag and other forces.

now try simulating using different motors.

Back