I am out of ideas.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Schwantz

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Have new rocket, need paint scheme. Not looking to copy anyone's but I need a little inspiration. So if you have time, pics please.

I know you said you don't want to copy, but I've had a hankering to, um, "be inspired by" one of @GrouchoDuke's signature mask designs. Unfortunately I can't seem to scare up one of his pictures right now, maybe he can chime in here.

Maybe a picture of your rocket so we know what you are working with? :)

I haven't started it yet, but I plan on painting a Big Der Red Max red of course, but... Skipping the awesome decals that come with the kit and making new ones. There will be a comfy chair decal, the official seal in Spanish and then in a fancy font "The Spanish Inquisition". Because every time it gets put on the pad someone in my club will say, "I didn't expect..."

2n9K1Ex.jpg

Jw32vo3.jpg

It is a copy of a LOC warlock. Grey primed now.
IMHO rockets with a wide rear end should have it brightly painted - it looks good in flight:
FB_IMG_1649012224869.jpg
This is a 5.5" booster section made with 'glassed Loc tubing, Mac Performance fins. I like black with yellow accents on rockets, but only use that scheme on rockets where the chute is big enough to be seen across a field or hillside:
20220430_135734.jpg
View attachment 55299920221225_180221.jpg

Sometimes inspiration comes at weird times. I had the same issue recently with a random spare parts rocket I built. A farm equipment dealer in town had just put a giant brand new John Deere tractor out front and the paint job sure looked nice. So - ended up painting it like a John Deere tractor (and made the nosecone into a corn Cobb). After getting a Cricut I have been having a blast making nice decals.

David,

surface features like portals, or steam fittings, could be 3d printed and applied to the rocket which make for good texture to color wash dark grime into the inside corners. This provides depth with out having parts that stick out too far.

Last edited:
Back